Dental XRays

xrays also show cracks, which become all those bad things.

I’ll provide a good reason for a full set of X-rays every so often.
I had a dentist I went to for years- from the time I was a teenager.
He said I only had 3 wisdom teeth and those were pulled when I was in my early 20’s. Apparently pregnancy can make them sprout out.
When I was 40 I went to the dentist I currently have. He took a full set of X-rays. Guess what he found? Yeah, my 4th wisdom tooth sitting up by my sinuses, sideways. [emoji15]
He said no one was going to touch that tooth with a ten foot pole.
He keeps an eye on it and we just discussed it in April during my 6 months check up. He said it hasn’t moved one bit.
Don’t know what happens if it does move and don’t really want to find out but if it does I want to know asap in order to come up with a plan. And I’m guessing lots and lots of money.

I think if it hasn't moved by now it is unlikely to cause a problem ever. And if there is a problem you need an ENT surgeon, not an oral surgeon. Your medical insurance would apply.

I'm surprised at this point they would want a full set of Xrays. Shouldn't you get your records sent from your previous dentist and start from there?

I get 4 X-rays every other year unless there are specific issues. Recently I chipped a filling and the dentist asked if he could take the opportunity to go a little deeper and fill a small cavity below. He showed me the X-rays on his laptop over the last 6 years where he had identified a small area that had only increased by 1 or 2 mm over the last couple of years. Perfect, and he put in a foundation filling should a crown be needed in future years

As a retired dentist, 2 mm is a lot more decay. Take out your ruler and understand what is important is the distance from the surface of the tooth to the pulp. That foundation that your dentist placed may have saved you from a future root canal procedure. And if 2 mm shows on the xray, it is actually > 2 mm.

Rich

I would like to know the true incidence of finding a serious problem on XRAY when the patient has no symptoms and the clinical exam is normal. I've been told I could have an abscess, a tumor, a "root" problem. I find it highly unlikely I'd have any of those without some degree of sensitivity, pain, swelling, fever, etc. I'm sure it happens, but is it often enough to warrant yearly x-rays? Especially when your history of visits has shown good oral hygiene and no gum disease. I have arguments with my dentist at each visit. Even at "low dose" I think it borders on excessive.

Kinda like driving your car until it breaks down. That’s definitive. Look at all the money you saved in maintenance.

I think if it hasn't moved by now it is unlikely to cause a problem ever. And if there is a problem you need an ENT surgeon, not an oral surgeon. Your medical insurance would apply.

I sure hope you are correct on both points!
I do like the fact that my dentist keeps an eye on that tooth. If it does shift or whatever I would rather know sooner than later.

I have no problem with dental xrays. I get them as needed and when I go for some exotic work (referrals) like pulls and root canals, guess what? Yeah the new guy takes another one.

Compared to the discomfort of a root canal, the xray is nothing. Neither is the cost.

I would like to know the true incidence of finding a serious problem on XRAY when the patient has no symptoms and the clinical exam is normal. I've been told I could have an abscess, a tumor, a "root" problem. I find it highly unlikely I'd have any of those without some degree of sensitivity, pain, swelling, fever, etc. I'm sure it happens, but is it often enough to warrant yearly x-rays? Especially when your history of visits has shown good oral hygiene and no gum disease. I have arguments with my dentist at each visit. Even at "low dose" I think it borders on excessive.

What is the issue that makes you consider yearly x-rays "excessive?" Cost? Exposure? X-rays are cheap compared to other dental procedures. Early detection saves money. If it is "exposure" you should probably look up the issue and see if you can get comfortable with the fact that "exposure" is a fact of life. Our bodies contain elements that irradiate us all day long.

I took a health physics course (radiation biology) and our prof used to suggest that small amounts of radiation are probably good for us (his opinion) because we "evolved" with a certain level of background radiation. I'm not so sure about that, but just keep in mind that modern x-ray technology presents very little exposure and very little danger compared to its potential for saving life (and teeth.)

It's something you have to get your head around, and I would agree that you should be in charge of your own health decisions. But if you don't want x-rays, a dentist would not be able to treat you adequately. It's the age old risk vs benefit. Lots of benefit to dental x-rays - very little risk (and risk goes down as you age as any "effects" have less time to manifest.) By the way, I'm no expert so I've told you way more than I know so do your own research and, as always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom