diagnosed with lymphoma

I know I made an audible sucking in sound when I saw that photo. Glad I don't smoke, also.
Glad you are doing so well, Ratface!!!!!!

Congratulations ratface, you have done really well! It's amazing to think that procedures that would have required a week's hospital stay years ago can now be done as day surgery. I am not in the least surprised that you are sleepy; in fact I wasn't expecting you to surface so quickly!

John Mellencamp's 14 year old son has started a Facebook petition to get his dad to stop smoking. JM has promised to quit if there are 1 million signatures. Last evening I heard a discussion on the radio about this. The presenters were discussing how JM should have plenty of motivation from his son who obviously cares about him, that the 1 million signatures is just an excuse. I think that's probably true; he's badly addicted and this is just one of an addict's strategies.

Bottom line: don't smoke!

If you ever want to be cured from smoking just spend a few hours at a Pulmonologist's office . If that doesn't do it nothing will .

Ratty, I have to say I looked at your photo and saw lots of hope. Thank goodness there is treatment and you have a good outcome to anticipate. Bless the medical professionals who are treating you.

Personally I would be continuing to enjoy the prescription painkillers as a little bonus from having to go through this ordeal :).

Hey there RF. The pic doesn't look too bad. I expected a lot worse. But then again it is YOUR nerve endings that are attached to those incisions, not mine. You are one tough dude. :cool:

I'm not here too much lately posting, but I am reading. Glad to see you have crossed yet another hurdle.

I hope you are doing well. :flowers:

Wowser, that picture is probably more effective than any words could ever be. Hope you recover from your surgery quickly and take as much rest as you need.

Vincent, what is your attachment to smoking that makes you so firm about not giving up? Not being judgemental, just wondering why.

Fantastic news Ratty - hopefully the results of the biopsies will turn out to be even more god news. :flowers:

Both my parents were smokers (Dad still is). Mam got throat cancer and one thing that used to amaze me when I would visit her in hospital was the number of patients in dressing gowns stood outside or sat in wheelchairs smoking away. Even though Dad never got cancer (at least not yet) he has suffered badly from Peripheral Artery Disease this last few years and neither Mum's horrible suffering and death (back in '94 - '95) or his own problems he has never for one minute even considered, let alone attempted, giving up.

Although I don't personally understand the desire to continue smoking, I know and have known plenty in my family where it just is what it is and they will smoke no matter what might or actually is happening to their health. I just feel extremely fortunate to have escaped that family trait.

Ratface,

I'll add my happy congratulations for your cancer-free diagnosis. Your doctors and family members deserve congratulations, too, but you are the one with the courage. Not just to go through the procedures - but to show and tell about it, too! I hope the chemo and radiation do not leave any long-term effects, and of course I hope that all the excised lymph nodes are clean. :flowers:

Maybe you should go on the road as an anti-smoking motivational speaker. You could bring your radiation mask, feeding tube, and graphic photos as motivational "exhibits." They've certainly scared the bejazus out of your friends on the forum!

Amethyst

Ratface,
Maybe you should go on the road as an anti-smoking motivational speaker. You could bring your radiation mask, feeding tube, and graphic photos as motivational "exhibits." They've certainly scared the bejazus out of your friends on the forum!

Here's someone who did exactly that. She was very inspirational, RIP.

CBC News - Indepth Backgrounder: Barb Tarbox

I'm feeling much stronger today. I think the anesthesia really lingers on as Moemg mentioned. I don't know what they put in that stuff but it's not tylenol number #3. I really wasn't stressed about the operation, well not to the point of physical side effects. I had reseached and studied the procedure and sought it out as opposed to my initial ENT who was not in favor of it. So Rich if the biopsies find cancer then I made the right decision. I would rather see them negative but that wasn't the point of the procedure. Cancer remains in 25% of patients who undergo chemo and radiation. Those odds were just too high for me. Meadbh, this operation in it's radical form used to require a week in intensive care, thank-God for medical advances. I have zero pain and am not on any pain meds. Damn good surgeon. Vicente i'm just busting your balls, I can't be that hypocritical after I smoked all those years. Perhaps someday? Dawg52, was watching a television show called road trip where they traveled through Mt. Rushmore, and ended up at Yellowstone in a red convertible. I could do that. I'm almost certain I'll retire early next year and start smelling every rose I see for as long as I can!

Once again, thanks for your update. I'm so glad you are feeling stronger. I believe each day will get better and better for you.
Let's get an early start on those roses....
smiley-chores006.gif

You are an inspiration to me..........:)

Good friends of ours are chain-smoking fiends and they are heavy drinkers. They are destroying their health and are ultimately going to destroy our friendship if they don't stop smoking, at least when we are together. Although they only smoke on their screened patio and not in the house, DH and I are still getting exposed to second-hand smoke when we are all out on the porch. When we lived in OH and only saw them a couple times a year, it was manageable. Now that we live in FL and see them every couple of weeks, our exposure to second-hand smoke has increased dramatically. Of course, we must draw the line soon about them smoking in our presence and harming our health as well as theirs.

I copied your post and picture and sent it to each of them in an email with the title, "I don't want this to happen to my friends!" Your message may not work on Vincente but it has helped me open the discussion with my friends to protect their health as well as ours. Glad to hear you are feeling better and things are going well.

Dangermouse: just read Alan´s last post about his parents.
Don´t misunderstand me, I am not proud of my attitude. There are many smokers like me that can´t abide the idea of not smoking anymore without some sort of permanent hypnotical remedy that erases one´s entire life as a smoker. The solution would be something like waking up one morning as if one had never smoked in his whole life...

Vincente stated

"Don´t misunderstand me, I am not proud of my attitude. There are many smokers like me that can´t abide the idea of not smoking anymore without some sort of permanent hypnotical remedy that erases one´s entire life as a smoker. The solution would be something like waking up one morning as if one had never smoked in his whole life...

I did not wish for this to become an anti smoking campainge. I smoked for years and can not stand atop a soap box and preach against smoking[/-]. I always felt that If I quit at 40, 45, 50 I could have my cake and eat it too. I was in good shape. I ran marathons, literally 26.2 miles. I would walk up to the starting line and light a cigarette, joking that I needed a sponsor for my running shoes, a cigarette company. I toyed with the idea of writing them a letter but thought better because of my kids. People would dispearse and were appalled. I laughed as I beat them to the finish line. My Doctor asked me to sign my medical chart five years ago that I would promise to quit smoking as he wrote me a script for Zyban. He took my cigarettes in his office and threw them away. I signed the promise, went out to my car and openned up another pack. I was smarter than he was.

I merely want people to know that smoking and drinking combined can cause oral cancer. This isn't printed on the pack. It's a rare cancer and you will probably never get it. It affects 4% of the US population. Lung cancer we all know about already. Oral cancer is on the rise. If you have children that are not sexually active also be aware that HPV 16 and 18 can cause oral cancer as well as cervical cancer and there are vacinations available for them for both girls and boys. I asked my doctor what the downside of being vaccinated was for adults and he said "None" other than cost. You have nothing to lose.

You cannot erase past behavior. If you smoked it has harmed you. There is no magical vacine. I'll always wonder if I had listened to my doctor five years ago when I signed that chart if I would be in this predicament today? All I know is that having that option today I would have quit because of what I know now. It's an individual choice. I personally think that at most of our ages we benefit by quitting. We have enough years possibly left to diminish some of the damage. Between 85 and 100 all bets are off, I may start again along with boozing, carousing and whatever else my oxogen permits.

I really just came on to say that my pathology is back and it's all negative. This includes the initial primary site as well as the nine lymph nodes removed. It would appear that I may not have needed the surgery? I don't ever want to know the answer to that. One microscopic cell in those nodes undetectable by pathologhy would have been enough! Now we wait to February for the next scans and see if we missed anything?

I really just came on to say that my pathology is back and it's all negative. This includes the initial primary site as well as the nine lymph nodes removed. It would appear that I may not have needed the surgery? I don't ever want to know the answer to that. One microscopic cell in those nodes undetectable by pathologhy would have been enough! Now we wait to February for the next scans and see if we missed anything?

Don't ya know I had to bring these guys out of hiding...
sBo_bouncing2.gif

You have had the surgery...it is behind you now...and you KNOW everything is ok. It's a time for celebration! :D

Oh...one more smilie...and you know why I am posting it....

sCh_Superman2.gif

I really just came on to say that my pathology is back and it's all negative. This includes the initial primary site as well as the nine lymph nodes removed.

:clap::dance::clap::dance::clap::dance: Now THIS is a reason to cheer!! I suspect that you are going to have a very merry Christmas. :D

That is great news...sure should make the holiday season a bit more enjoyable :) Enjoy and relax a bit...TomCat

Well gosh dang it all, Ratty, if that's not the best post about your pathology! I can't even imagine how light your heart feels today. And your family! So happy to read your news.

Congratulations on the excellent pathology report. You can second guess as to whether or not you should have had the surgery, however going forward you are not going to be wondering about what might be lurking, you know it is clear.

RF,

Great news regarding the negative pathology reports. It sounds like Christmas came early to your house. I'm sure this Christmas season will be much more meaningful for you and your family.

Congratulations

2soon2tell

Even more good news - well done Ratty. And you never know, this thread of yours may even save a life or two :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom