eHealthInsurance

AlmostDone

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone done the on-line application for eHealthInsurance? I feel uncomfortable supplying our SSNs on-line. Is there a better way to go about getting a quote? I tried to find an insurance broker in our area, but did not have any success.

I used ehealthinsurance to get an idea of who offered policies in my state, what the prices were, then went directly to the insurer to get a firm quote.

To find a good broker in your area go to:
http://www.nahu.org/consumer/findagent.cfm

You can look up agents and independent brokers by zipcode on nahu.org. Usually, when you apply online on sites like "ehealthinsurance", the information you are providing is going directly to the insurance carrier, because the online application links go directly to the insurance carrier that you are applying with. Typically, those sites are extremely secure due to intense scrutiny that the insurance carriers face from HIPAA privacy regulation.

Doesn't ehealthinsurance give you the option of filling out a paper application and mailing it in? I thought they did that too. Not sure. I am an insurance agent, and my website gives people the option to either apply online or download a paper application to mail in.

MKLD

I've used ehealthinsurance for 4 policies over 3.5 years. Self-employed friends use them as well. No problems.

Sometime ago (I think on the MF board) someone suggested that the quotes the web app gave were valid only for the ~2% of the population who'd never taken an aspirin or seen a doc - and that your average Joe with a couple of sprained ankles, back aches, and a few prescriptions on his MIB report would only be offered coverage at much higher rates than the web app suggests.

Have you found that the ehealthisurance.com quotes are reasonably accurate, or do the policies you and your friends ultimately purchase wind up costing a good deal more?

Cb

Cb said:
Have you found that the ehealthisurance.com quotes are reasonably accurate, or do the policies you and your friends ultimately purchase wind up costing a good deal more?

Although I went directly to the insurance co. to apply, the quote I got from eHealth was dead on (no pun intended). OTOH, DW's rates were ~15% higher and included several exclusions (can you really include exclusions? :D).

Cb said:

Cb

The rates quoted have always been accurate. I could be in that 2% category but I don't know; I don't have any chronic illnesses but I've had PT and an ER visit in the last 2 years. I don't have a MIB file (not many people do, actually).

I believe eHeathInsurance quotes preferred rates (just like most insurance web sites), which are pretty hard to get if you've got any medical history to speak of. Of course, some people can get the preferred rate, but I think MOST people (especially over 40) would pay more.

DW and I (in our early 40s) were quoted $301 per month for a BCBS high deductible policy and ended up paying around $451 after the rating process. Neither of us has anything wrong that requires any medication or treatment (good weight, BP, labs, etc), but because of past history we could only get the standard rating which costs 50% more.

Jim

The rates on ehealthinsurance or any other online quoting system are always going to be the best possible rate (or preferred). From what I have been told by the sales reps that I work with at the insurance companies, approx. 60% of the population will qualify for preferred rating. Whether you take medications or not, if you have an ongoing health condition, there will likely be one of three possible outcomes: a decline, an exclusion Rider or an increased rate factor. (It all depends on what kind of risk your current condition presents to the insurance carrier. For example, if you have a condition that will likely result in a surgery sometime down the road, a decline is very likely.)

In Colorado, Humana One rates up in factors of 10% increments. BCBS, Aetna, Time Insurance and Golden Rule typically rate up in factors of 25% increments. Golden rule is more likely to exclude something from coverage rather than rate up. Rocky Mountain Health plans is going to either exclude or decline rather than rate. Underwriting guidelines vary greatly from one insurance carrier to the next. For example, one carrier might decline you for Morton's Neuroma, while another one would accept you if it has been surgically corrected with a complete recovery noted in your medical records. Your best bet is to contact a broker for a prescreen if you have pre-existing conditions so you don't waste your time.

Sore throats and ER visits for acute illnesses are not going to present a problem with underwriting. It's only the ongoing conditions that really cause you to get rated or have exclusions of coverage.

How might one find out whether or not a MIB file exists for themselves?

Cb

Cb said:
How might one find out whether or not a MIB file exists for themselves?

Cb

http://www.mib.com/

Click on "Request your record" under "Consumer Site".

You can call to get a free copy of your report, assuming they have one on you. According to MIB, they have no records on 80% of "consumers".

Back
Top Bottom