Ever been to a psychiatrist?

97guns

Full time employment: Posting here.
Ever been to a psychologist?

We're trying to get my wife a green card and my attorney tells me I have to see a psychiatrist for a report to send to the embassy, didn't think too much of it but got a real strange unexplainable feeling once I arrived at his office. There's no receptionist when we walk in, it's a waiting room, another room with door open and room with door closed with soothing background music of waves crashing. We take a seat and 2 or 3 minutes later the Dr pops out and we introduce ourselves. I immediately feel like he's reading into me with every movement and sound I make. The interview was more of the same, him trying to figure me out, kinda gave me that weird unexplainable feeling, never had my psyche examined that hard before

Last edited:
Many psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists run on a fairly lean overhead model. Small office... Some soundproofing background music/white noise in the waiting room, and then the room they see patients... Often that room has a secondary exit for private exits for the client.

None of what you describe of the physical layout stands out as abnormal to me...

As far as the sizing up vibe you got.... Hey - that's the job description. To read subtle and overt cues and use that in conjunction with the verbal discussion.

Many psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists run on a fairly lean overhead model. Small office... Some soundproofing background music/white noise in the waiting room, and then the room they see patients... Often that room has a secondary exit for private exits for the client.

None of what you describe of the physical layout stands out as abnormal to me...

As far as the sizing up vibe you got.... Hey - that's the job description. To read subtle and overt cues and use that in conjunction with the verbal discussion.

There is a building nearly nest door to me that houses a psychiatrists. He was out pulling weeds in the landscape the other day.

You know psychiatrists also have their own psychiatrists?

Our local psychiatrists also.practice.in other towns 40 miles from here. And most have practiced in 3-4 different states.

One will have 30 to 40 patients waiting in her office for a 90 second/$150 offices visit on Tuesday and Thursday nights. All they get.is a prescription. Only accepts cash or ATM.cards--no insurance.

I'd rather see an annuity salesman.

I was assigned to the Pentagon in 2001. After 9/11, staff psychiatrists were assigned to talk to anybody who wanted to talk, and I became friendly with mine. He was getting his Ph.D. in neuropsychology, and told me about the effects of our own thoughts and emotions on our brain chemistry. For example, if you continually think about something bad that happened, you literally wear a path in your neurons (or something to that effect) which creates a habit of negative thought, which can, in turn, make you physically ill. A way to counter this is to immediately squelch the negative thought and replace it with a constructive one, like "I can resolve this by...."
Anyway, talking with him was completely non-threatening, and did me a lot of good.

You know psychiatrists also have their own psychiatrists?

"And these have smaller still to bite 'em,
And so proceed ad infinitum."

Jonathan Swift.

Why? Do you think I'm crazy? Or just a little off the wall?

Now you got me thinking. Or I think it's thinking. Good grief!

Sessions are set up for privacy. Clients don't see/hear other clients. Come in one door; go out another.

Bada bing

Even Tony Soprano went to a psychiatrist... who also went to her own psychiatrist.

I'm watching the unabomber series right now and Ted Kyszenski was tricked into psychiatric observation when he attended Harvard at 16 years old, in the show the psychiatrist portrayed Dr jeckyl/Mr Hyde behavior, just something about psychiatrists that gives me the creeps, I have a cousin that is a psychiatric professor at a California state university and he has never come off that way to me, this guy I saw the other day was really trying to get a read on me

If I find one that makes house calls, and is willing to waive they copay, I would let one come to my house, and chat with me as Im tending to my elderly mother.

I had a classic, Freudian psychoanalysis -- five years starting in 1968, free association (say whatever comes to mind), lying on a couch where I could not watch the analyst, dream analysis, transference, counter-transference, the whole standard thing. Freud had analyzed my analyst's analyst. So, I am well within that tradition. My analyst was not at all directive. Otherwise, I would have stopped seeing him. Further, there was no drug or medicine therapy whatever; it was all conversational and mostly me talking and him listening. I learned a lot just by listening to myself. It's remarkable how I could bring my own powers of thought and memory to bear just because I knew that he was listening, cared about my well-being, and would notice if I became defensive or illogical or evasive. His fee was high enough to assure effective effort on my part to be honest, every session, even when that was difficult or very difficult.

I was assigned to the Pentagon in 2001. After 9/11, staff psychiatrists were assigned to talk to anybody who wanted to talk ...
I'm surprised how things have changed. Back when I was in the Navy, seeing a psychiatrist would have been the kiss of death for any thought of a career. Among other things, they would probably have pulled your security clearance.

Back
Top Bottom