Everything wants to kill us

Never watched it. Am I wrong? Worked on a pigfarm so only can draw on experience. Maybe our pigs were weird.

You are not wrong. Let's just say that in the old west times of semi-lawlessness, having access to a pigfarm was of benefit to certain characters. :cool:

You are not wrong. Let's just say that in the old west times of semi-lawlessness, having access to a pigfarm was of benefit to certain characters. :cool:

But boy do they stink! If I remember correctly, only teeth remained. Or so I've been told.:whistle:

Last edited:
For a real story regarding pigs, search for "Terry Vance Garner".

For dogs, search for "Freddie Mac", and "Janet Johnstone". The latter incidence is quite recent.

For a real story regarding pigs, search for "Terry Vance Garner".

For dogs, search for "Freddie Mac", and "Janet Johnstone". The latter incidence is quite recent.

I learned very quickly not to step in the pen while slopping them. Everything was fair game. That article does not surprise me AT ALL. Love that bacon though!

Which is why I've always been fascinated by the exceptions.

Horseshoe crabs have been essentially unchanged for 450 million years. Aardvarks and crocodiles for probably 50 million years. Many other examples.

What do you think the chances are of homo sapiens lasting even one million?

Well if we’re talking homo genus I think we have lasted well over one million.

It's true that cats have a hunting instinct; they are, after all, true carnivores (must have meat to survive). It's why people started keeping them in the first place. Agriculture = surplus of food in storage = rats and mice = gotta get a cat. I recall that my Dad did not like cats, until the tiny Siamese my Mother adopted proved her worth by cleaning all the hated moles out of the lawn, one by one, lined up on the back porch like little gray knobs.

But unlike, say, raptor birds who eat other birds, cats cannot fly (yet; I hear they're working on it). It's a pretty sad bird that can't outfly a cat. I've watched cats trying, many many times. It's also funny to watch them respond to a squirrel's taunting. The squirrel gets away every time.

As for looking in cats' eyes, their eyes are made differently from ours, and have few expressions, other than "hunting" and "non-hunting." If you play rough with your kitten, such as putting your hand under the bed-covers and wiggling your fingers, you may see the "hunting" look, and then you are in for a catattack!

Cats enjoy stalking and killing other animals just for fun. They're notorious for wrecking local bird populations, for instance. They'd eat you, too, if they could; don't kid yourself. You can just look in their eyes and tell, sometimes. They'd like to eat you, but you're too big.

I been thinking that everything wants to kill us or make life an unhealthy one for all of us.
Mice, ticks, mesquites, snakes and many other wildlife critters effect our lives each day. Then not to mention all the different cancers, viruses, diseases and accidents, that every step we make could be our last breath.

It seems no matter how fit and what we do to increase our personal health we are always the underdog trying to survive.

Underdog?
Glad we got them Passenger Pigeons before they got us!

Back
Top Bottom