Experience with a PET scan?

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I'm seeking information about my abilities immediately following a PET scan. I'm scheduled for one next Tuesday, the day a huge snowstorm is also forecast. I know they inject you with some stuff to make things show up better but I don't know if there's anything that will affect my ability to drive afterward.

My question is, will I be able to drive home? Looking around online, I don't see anything that says I won't but I figure there's got to be a few people here who have had the experience.

The reason I ask is that we have two vehicles, a 4WD pickup truck that I will drive if I am able to and will "almost climb a telephone pole", and a Honda Accord, which should also be fine, except that DW hasn't driven in snow for over a decade and gets very stressed about it so I do all the "snow driving". She is one of those people you don't want to get stuck behind when it's snowing....:angel:

Further making things complicated DW does not drive the pickup because she is unaccustomed to the size of it and gets a bit overwhelmed at the dimensions. She has never driven it in 4WD and I figure this is not a good time to start teaching her.

Thanks for your answers.

I had one. No problem driving that I remember. They just inject you with a dye that lights up the scan if you've got cancer.

That's was I was thinking from what I could read. Thanks.

I was going to add that typically they're very up-front that you MUST arrive with a designated driver if a test is going to leave you dazed for awhile. When I've had colonoscopies they've said that if you arrive unaccompanied they won't do the test. If they haven't told you that you should be fine to drive home.

I went by myself for mine. No problems driving by myself afterwards at all.

They do your history, etc. then bring a box in with the radioactive material. They inject you, then you have to sit quietly in a dark room for 15 or 20 minutes.

Then they do the scan. Painless.

Then you go home. No side effects afterwards. I do think they recommend you use different bathrooms from the rest of the family for ~24 hrs post.

This was my procedure in 2012, may be different in different times/facilities.

Good luck!!! I know it is anxiety provoking. :flowers:

^^^

If you were able to drive yourself to the facility, you should be able to drive yourself back from the facility. One other thing to add: during the procedure you may feel a rush of warmth from inside your body. That's the radioactive material coursing through you. It feels a little creepy, but it's not painful at all.

Thanks all, very helpful.

The machine is on a trailer and they drive it to different locations so now I'm wondering if it is going to happen at all on Tuesday if they can't get it here. We're forecast 6-8 inches of snow.

My suggestion is to reschedule the procedure. There are several things that have to happen; the staff need to be able to get to work. The PET scanner on the trailer must be there. The biggest unknown, is the availability of the radioactive tracer. A minute amount of a radioactive sugar is used. The rationale is tumor cells/infection have increased blood flow and high metabolism, there-by taking up more of the tracer than normal tissue. The isotope used is Fluorine 18, which is created using a cyclotron and has a 110 minute half-life. So even if the scanner arrives and the tracer doesn't -- you're not getting the PET scan completed that day. Why hassle, the test can easily be rescheduled.

I hadn't thought about them not being able to get the isotope! Apparently medical cyclotrons are far from portable so the isotope has to be made first and then transported. I found a site from 2011 describing goals for a portable one but haven't found if that came to fruition. And if it did, is one available?

I'm going to call them first thing in the morning and ask those questions and find out when they expect to have all staff and gear in place, then look at the forecast timing on the snowfall.

I'd hate to have to reschedule it, that's an expensive bit of gear and staff to have sitting around doing nothing when the patient cancels since it is doubtful they'd find anyone else in one day to take the time slot. But if they can't be there, they're wasting my and everyone else's time. The wisest course would be for them to want to reschedule too.

I know it's probably grossly overpriced anyway but I also hate to waste anyone else's time. When I searched on "cost of PET scan" the first link was to a site in Canada that showed $1,200. A U.S. site showed average was $6,800. Being mobile probably makes it higher. Glad I have good health insurance coverage!

If you are concerned about the radioactive isotope arriving on time, you might consider using Amazon's one-day delivery.

Then you go home. No side effects afterwards. I do think they recommend you use different bathrooms from the rest of the family for ~24 hrs post.

I think they suggest that you avoid crowds for some hrs. to avoid lighting them up w/your radiation. I know they don't want you having any other medical appts w/ them that day.

I've had scans with contrast (yes, it is a weird feeling, but maybe not for everyone) and received zero cautions or instructions about what to do afterward.

It goes without saying that I hope the scan, whenever it is done, finds nothing, Walt!

Prepare to drink a lot of water afterward to flush out the contrast.

Thanks for all the answers on this. It appears that now the issue is moot. I called them this morning and was told all was a "go" and all would be positioned the night before. This afternoon they called about 3:00 PM and rescheduled for Saturday. A much wiser course of action I think. At the moment the forecast is for between 8 and 16 inches of snow.

I suspect they realized that there would be so many cancellations and no-shows that it would be pointless to make the staff stay there.

Good luck with your scan when it happens Walt. I've had a scan with contrast and the injected substance was not an issue for driving oneself home afterwards. I've also had a nuclear stress test where a radioactive isotope is injected, and again no issues or warnings about driving oneself home, which I did.

Walt, I assume this is for the bitty malignant mole you had. I thought it was all OK after it was removed, so this is just a double-check?

Walt, I assume this is for the bitty malignant mole you had. I thought it was all OK after it was removed, so this is just a double-check?

Yes, this is a double-check to make sure they got it all in the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom