Face Mask and Itchy Eyes

HF63

Recycles dryer sheets
When I first started to wear a mask, I notice that my eyes where itching/ irritated and feeling very dry. At first, I could not figure out what was causing this problem but is the hot air that comes out of the mask gets behind my eye glasses and Bingo.

The benefit to wearing the safety stuff is that in the last 30 years, I have not been able to go this long 18 months with out taking any antibiotics, steroids, cough syrup w/ codeine and few chest x-rays. I suffer from asthma, chronic low white cell count and can probably fill a garbage can w/ all my empty containers.

The itchy eyes, it is a problem but will gladly deal with it as an exchange for not having to take any more prescription stuff for my chest. I feel much better and have actually gain some weight which I kind of like.

I do not see my self dropping the mask, face shield when interacting w/ people when shopping for stuff. I just need to find a better solution for the itchy eyes.:(

Does your mask have a bendable wire nose piece so you can fit it better and the hot air doesn't escape out the top? If not, get one. Is it washable? Maybe you need to wash it occasionally, or replace it. Otherwise, figure out which eye drops would work best. Your eye doctor should be able to advise you.

Thanks for the replies, goggles do not fit very well over face shields so it is one or the other. I even try to tape the mask above the nose bridge but still was not good enough.

If I find something that works, I'll post it here!

Thanks for the replies, goggles do not fit very well over face shields so it is one or the other. I even try to tape the mask above the nose bridge but still was not good enough.

If I find something that works, I'll post it here!

IMO you don’t need a face shield if you wear goggles, and you can find some that will accommodate glasses even if they don’t seal quite as tight.

Get over the counter eye drops for allergies or dry eyes. Use eye drops before putting on mask. My mother and grandmother have dry eyes and this helped them when wearing a mask.

I have found placing my glasses nose piece on top of the metal band of my mask helps with the fogging and hot air breath in my eyes. I also have dry eyes, I find that contact lens wetting drops work the best for me.
Many allergies, so I will continue to wear my mask out. I, too, have avoided colds, coughs, and my frequent bronchitis/pneumonia this past 1.5 years.
Not a problem for me, my lung health is a priority!

It seems I have my homework with the recommended products!

I can't do drops but I found Optase dry eye spray works for me

I find warming the eye drops to body temp makes them almost unfelt when the drop hits the eye. I run hot water over the bottle or just put it between my arm and my chest to warm it.

I find warming the eye drops to body temp makes them almost unfelt when the drop hits the eye. I run hot water over the bottle or just put it between my arm and my chest to warm it.

Stick the bottle in your pants pocket for a bit to warm it up.

Wear a face mask with an adjustable wire over the nose area. If you are still feeling warm air escape the mask, twist the elastic ear loops one time to tighten the mask around your face. By twisting one or both loops you may get a better fit.

Try this mask--KN 95 (the best brand I have found is Botin on Amazon ). This type of mask is very lightweight but provides a good seal. There is an adjustable wire nose peice so no warm air escapes to dry out your eyes. I too plan to continue wearing a mask in crowded indoor situations and the best mask for me is the KN95. It is disposable but I wear each one several times by having a bunch of masks and letting each one air out for 7 days before rewearing

Wish I could help!

I haven't worn a mask for two months, since the mask mandate was lifted here. Well, except this past Wednesday for a doctor appointment.

My eyes are still itchy and watery, even with no mask at all - - probably due to hay fever. Seems like a lot of people are having that problem here lately. We have been having a super bad allergy season here the past few months.

Wish I could help!

I haven't worn a mask for two months, since the mask mandate was lifted here. Well, except this past Wednesday for a doctor appointment.

My eyes are still itchy and watery, even with no mask at all - - probably due to hay fever. Seems like a lot of people are having that problem here lately. We have been having a super bad allergy season here the past few months.

This is what seems to work for my itchy eyes so far
1. Wash w/ cold water
2. 2-3 drops of rinse solution
3. 2 hours later, 1-2 drops of Olopatadine, contains an antihistamine
4. Apply a gel pack on the face before bedtime

Hope this helps!

Reactions: W2R
There are a lot of crappy masks that have metal that is too thin, too soft, or both, that will not hold a reliable seal mask-to-nose. RunningBum mentions the issue above. Long before Covid-19 I have been wearing masks for extreme dust, drywall sanding, etc. I think the only masks I have found that do a good seal job on the sides of my nose are higher-line masks made by 3M. I have had no problem at all with 3M N95 masks.

A mask with proper design and proper metal nose band should allow you to pinch the metal nose band so hard, that it will hurt your nose, and stay hurting after removing your hand. If it eases up, it's flimsy junk.

People who do not wear glasses probably don't realize how poor the seal is to their nose.

To me, real masks for work I have done do not have "ear loops". How much tension can be put on an ear for any length of time? And the position of ear to mask are fixed, not like back of neck band(s) that can be re-positioned for best effect.

Covid-19 made many millions of people who never wore masks before, wear masks. And it shows :LOL: But a lot of the masks are crap, cheap junk rolled out quick. YMMV, but my mileage continues with no junk in my lungs. :)

I agree with OP that I haven't been cold, flu and sinus infection free for this long in forever. Will keep wearing a mask until it becomes socially unacceptable. Interesting takes on better masks, I have been wearing the cheap ones. I guess if things get worse again, will look into better ones.

I agree with OP that I haven't been cold, flu and sinus infection free for this long in forever. Will keep wearing a mask until it becomes socially unacceptable. Interesting takes on better masks, I have been wearing the cheap ones. I guess if things get worse again, will look into better ones.

For me it will never become "socially unacceptable" to wear a mask in indoor crowded situations, especially during flu season. I had the flu 3 years ago (I had the vaccine but it did not cover the strain I had) and I was very sick for over a month. If wearing a mask can help prevent flu I am all for it. I don't care what people think. I recommend the KN95 masks, good coverage and very comfortable. They are disposable but I wear them again after a week.

Back
Top Bottom