Favorable Results in New Tinnitus Treatment

Bryan Barnfellow

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know this sounds like one of many scams for Tinnitus; but this one seems to have scientific backing and may be promising.

"The clinical trial was conducted between 2016 and 2019 and was designed to track changes in tinnitus symptom severity. The trial investigated the bimodal neuromodulation approach, using Neuromod’s non-invasive stimulation device that delivers sound to the ears and electrical stimulation to the tongue.

"The study represents the largest and longest followed-up clinical ever conducted in the tinnitus field with 326 enrolled participants, providing evidence regarding the safety, efficacy and patient tolerability of bimodal neuromodulation for the treatment of tinnitus.

"A total of 86.2% of treatment compliant participants reported an improvement in tinnitus symptom severity when evaluated after 12 weeks of treatment, with many experiencing sustained benefit 12 months post-treatment.

"The study was conducted at the Wellcome Trust-HRB Clinical Research Facility (St. James’s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland) and the Tinnituszentrum of the University Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany."

https://neuronewsinternational.com/bimodal-neuromodulation-can-significantly-reduce-tinnitus-symptoms-new-trial-finds/

Last edited:
i still want to try the acupuncture method, might have been a thread on here that they talked about it..

Thank you for posting! It does sound promising.

The tinnitus treatment device, now branded as Lenire, which was used in the study was developed by Neuromod and consists of wireless bluetooth headphones that deliver a sequences of audio tones layered with wideband noise to both ears, combined with electrical stimulation pulses delivered to 32 electrodes on the tip of the tongue by a proprietary device trademarked as Tonguetip.

Emphasis added.

Assuming this isn't a scam, one wonders how they discovered that the tongue is involved in this issue.

Basically, the trick your brain to focus on your tongue rather than the tinnitus. I hate the vague results though. 86 percent had less tinnitus. How much less. If I have to electrocute my tongue for a year. It better go away completely! Just saying...

interesting and apparently available in ireland, Belgium and Germany

I think it said 12 weeks of treatment, not a year.

But, I forget all about my tinnitus most of the time. Until someone posts to a thread about it, and I'm reminded.

I hope it is real and viable.

I have had the constant ringing for at least 25 year.

When it was first coming on, I would ask ms gamboolgal if she could hear that noise.....

There was times it would come a sudden pain that would bend me over.

I was very strict on my crews to wear hearing protection and not do stupid lifting as I have Tinnitus and Hearing Loss, and had to have Neck Fusion Surgery.

Again, I do hope this is a viable cure or treatment.

gamboolman....

Would love to get rid of or reduce the ringing. Most of the time, I can ignore it, but sometimes it's really bothersome. My gut says this sort of treatment isn't ready for primetime, but YMMV.

I'll just stick with my regular doctor, thanks:

Attachments

• -shaman-woman.jpg
    -shaman-woman.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 33
A friend just got rid of tinnitus and went from hearing impaired to normal hearing on audiology tests with vitamin D supplements and diet improvements. If you do a search of Pubmed, there are many nutritional deficiencies linked to both conditions.

I tried the lipo-flavonoid "therapy" offered at drugs store chains. Nada but YMMV.

A friend just got rid of tinnitus and went from hearing impaired to normal hearing on audiology tests with vitamin D supplements and diet improvements. If you do a search of Pubmed, there are many nutritional deficiencies linked to both conditions.

Took a quick look and it's too much info at this point though YMMV.

Curious if your friend has shared his/her D3 (etc.) protocol with you. If it's safe, I'd try it. Heck, I was ready to bite my tongue (see Sunset's entry!)

Took a quick look and it's too much info at this point though YMMV.

Curious if your friend has shared his/her D3 (etc.) protocol with you. If it's safe, I'd try it. Heck, I was ready to bite my tongue (see Sunset's entry!)

I will ask more about the D supplements.

On the research overload, here is a summary paper:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6412883/

Short version: Hearing loss was increased with the lack of single micro-nutrients such as vitamins A, B, C, D and E, and zinc, magnesium, selenium, iron and iodine. Higher carbohydrate, fat, and cholesterol intake, or lower protein intake, by individuals corresponded to poorer hearing status. In addition to malnutrition, obesity was reported as a risk factor for HL. Better hearing corresponded to higher consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids.

My friend also started exercising more and spending less time on the computer to improve circulation.

I will ask more about the D supplements.

On the research overload, here is a summary paper:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6412883/

Short version: Hearing loss was increased with the lack of single micro-nutrients such as vitamins A, B, C, D and E, and zinc, magnesium, selenium, iron and iodine. Higher carbohydrate, fat, and cholesterol intake, or lower protein intake, by individuals corresponded to poorer hearing status. In addition to malnutrition, obesity was reported as a risk factor for HL. Better hearing corresponded to higher consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids.

My friend also started exercising more and spending less time on the computer to improve circulation.

Thanks! I will spend some quality time going over this AND (hopefully) eventually discussing with my Doc. Aloha.

It's my understanding that these treatments don't have any effect on noise induced tinnitus. Certainly, taking daily Magnesium and Vitamin D supplements has not helped with mine. I do think that taking extra Vitamin D, beyond the amount in an adult daily multi-vitamin, is a good idea. Many recent studies show a link between better health outcomes for those who are not deficient in vitamin D. I am taking a total of 2,000IU per day of vitamin D.

It's my understanding that these treatments don't have any effect on noise induced tinnitus. Certainly, taking daily Magnesium and Vitamin D supplements has not helped with mine. I do think that taking extra Vitamin D, beyond the amount in an adult daily multi-vitamin, is a good idea. Many recent studies show a link between better health outcomes for those who are not deficient in vitamin D. I am taking a total of 2,000IU per day of vitamin D.

All I can say is Pubmed is free, there's a lot of helpful research on there regarding diet / nutrition and tinnitus (even more on diet / nutrition and hearing loss) and that is what helped my friend. But it wasn't just taking supplements. (Some supplements actually do more harm than good.) Besides the vitamin D as a supplement, my friend did a complete diet revamp and started exercising more.

B12 deficiency wasn't mentioned in my summary link above but that comes up in some of the hearing / tinnitus papers as well.

Last edited:
I heard from my friend on the vitamin D. They were taking 5-10,000 IU of D3 a night. They said they also felt flax seed and salmon oil helped. I'm not recommending any of that, just reporting what they told me. This person was also under conventional medical care during this time and had tested deficient in vitamin D. They also adopted a healthier lifestyle, including a better diet and more exercise, so it could have been a combination of factors that helped. But most of the changes they made were in the generally healthy things to do anyway, so there wasn't a lot of downside to giving them all a try.

I was going to post this in a more current tinnitus thread but this Washington Post article seems to be talking about the same treatment, presumably with an update. I've gifted the article so all should be able to see it.

https://wapo.st/3UoQARJ

I was going to post this in a more current tinnitus thread but this Washington Post article seems to be talking about the same treatment, presumably with an update. I've gifted the article so all should be able to see it.

https://wapo.st/3UoQARJ

Thanks, I read it. The only sound I could hear in all those tone players was the piano note. I guess I am going deaf? (i know I am in one ear) Or did my tinnitus block out the sounds?

These treatments are not new.

I would never waste a dime on Lenire. It had been available overseas for years before it was available in US. The feedback on the tinnitustalk forum shows it doesn't work in most cases, and sometimes makes tinnitus worse.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/lenire-%E2%80%94-user-experiences-and-reviews.35776/

Wait for the Shore / Auricle device to become available. It actually had positive results vs. a placebo / control group and could be available within 2 years in the US. It might work for 30% to 50% of tinnitus sufferers beyond a placebo effect.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...igan-tinnitus-discovery-—-signal-timing.2805/

Last edited:
Thanks, I read it. The only sound I could hear in all those tone players was the piano note. I guess I am going deaf? (i know I am in one ear) Or did my tinnitus block out the sounds?
I didn't hear it. It could be a higher frequency sound like 12 khz to 16 khz. People's high frequency hearing drops off with age. Mine isn't very good, and I'm in my 50's.

Of course, tinnitus can be any frequencies. I even have a low frequency tinnitus sound in addition to mid frequency and high frequency tinnitus. And it's possible to perceive higher frequency tinnitus sounds regardless of whether you could hear those same sounds externally, since tinnitus isn't a sound you're actually hearing through your ear. Any example of tinnitus in the article is not relevant to me personally and would not reflect the tinnitus sound of many people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom