Pepcid (famotidine) as a treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bongleur

Full time employment: Posting here.
Need to find out what that oral mega-dose was... Oral comes in 10mg and 20mg tablets.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...ly-tests-heartburn-remedy-against-coronavirus

New York clinical trial quietly tests heartburn remedy against coronavirus
By Brendan Borrell
Apr. 26, 2020 , 12:00 PM

The fast-growing list of possible treatments for the novel coronavirus includes an unlikely candidate: famotidine, the active compound in the over-the-counter heartburn drug Pepcid. On 7 April, the first COVID-19 patients at Northwell Health in the New York City area began to receive famotidine intravenously, at nine times the heartburn dose.
snip

the trial, which aims for a total of 1174 people. Reports from China and molecular modeling results suggest the drug, which seems to bind to a key enzyme in severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), could make a difference.
snip

David Tuveson, director of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Cancer Center, recommended famotidine to his 44-year-old sister, an engineer with New York City hospitals. She had tested positive for COVID-19 and developed a fever. Her lips became dark blue from hypoxia. She took her first megadose of oral famotidine on 28 March. The next morning, her fever broke and her oxygen saturation returned to a normal range. Five sick co-workers, including three with confirmed COVID-19, also showed dramatic improvements after taking over-the-counter versions of the drug, according a spreadsheet of case histories Tuveson shared with Science.

After an email chain about Tuveson’s experience spread widely among doctors, Timothy Wang, head of gastroenterology at Columbia University Medical Center, saw more hints of famotidine’s promise in his own retrospective review of records from 1620 hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

Oh great, now that'll disappear.

I wonder where most of it is manufactured?

oh, it already has. I saw this article when it came out - bought a 90 day supply for my wife and I. We have it through the end of summer, hopefully they can restock by then.

Because... now if you try to get it - the price gouging is happening and you get things like

"FREE delivery: May 16 - Oct 13 Details"

yeah, that says by October 13th...

I used to pay about $0.05 - $0.09 a pill (generic famatodine 20mg), now they are asking as much as $0.40-$0.90 a pill... This is a one month change :(

Since a lot of the supply is apparently from China, October might be optimistic.

Since a lot of the supply is apparently from China, October might be optimistic.

PEPCID® (famotidine) Tablets 20 mg and Tablets 40 mg are manufactured for: Marathon Pharmaceuticals, LLC, Northbrook, IL 60062, USA.

PEPCID® (famotidine) Tablets 20 mg and Tablets 40 mg are manufactured for: Marathon Pharmaceuticals, LLC, Northbrook, IL 60062, USA.

Manufactured for, not by. When googling I found a list of about 40 producer and about three quarters were in the Middle Kingdom.

oh, it already has. I saw this article when it came out - bought a 90 day supply for my wife and I. We have it through the end of summer, hopefully they can restock by then.Because... now if you try to get it - the price gouging is happening and you get things like

"FREE delivery: May 16 - Oct 13 Details"

yeah, that says by October 13th...

I used to pay about $0.05 - $0.09 a pill (generic famatodine 20mg), now they are asking as much as $0.40-$0.90 a pill... This is a one month change :(

Amazon has max strength Pepcid @ $15.87 for 50 tablets - 32 cents/pill. Delivery May 15-May 19.

This is from Life Extensions recommendations for early treatment of respiratory infections. I am not sure if it is similar to famotidine or something different:

"Cimetidine: Take 800‒1,200 mg a day in divided doses. Cimetidine is a heartburn drug that has potent immune support properties. (It is sold in pharmacies over-the-counter.)".

I posted a link to their full article in the boosting immunity thread in the health forum.

This is from Life Extensions recommendations for early treatment of respiratory infections. I am not sure if it is similar to famotidine or something different:

they are both of the drug class H2 antagonist, they work the same way.

as was good old zantac, before it decided to kill us.

I wonder how people are going to administer the drugstore stuff to themselves intravenously? Are we seeing a run on hypodermic kits?

It already was difficult to get. but not impossible. I hope that doesn't get worse.
we know because one of our dog needs it regularly to prevent gas build ups that if left untreated will send her to the vet.

"Cimetidine: Take 800‒1,200 mg a day in divided doses. Cimetidine is a heartburn drug that has potent immune support properties. (It is sold in pharmacies over-the-counter.)".

I posted a link to their full article in the boosting immunity thread in the health forum.

Now I know why I haven't been able to find it (Tagamet) at a couple of drugstores and grocery stores. Discovered mine was well outside the expire date when I needed some a couple of months ago. Amazon prices are in the gouge territory now. Was able to order some through Target online although the store has been out.

Anyone needing Pepcid or Tagamet or other 'dine' meds should stock up.

Been taking Pepcid AC for a few months after they decided Ranitidine would kill me. As expected, as soon as this news came out a couple of weeks ago I can't get any. But, I was able to get some toilet paper, so I've got one opening covered.

A May 16 interview with Dr. Joseph Conigliaro, the chief of general internal medicine at Northwell Health, in New York, about his institution's ongoing study of famotidine for the treatment of COVID-19.

https://www.gastroendonews.com/Podcast/5132020_1145/scope_COVID_conigilario.mp3

This 15 minute podcast with the Dr. leading the clinical trial of famotidine provides good insight into why the heartburn drug may offer real benefit in treating Covid-19 and the current status of the trial.

I was really frustrated when I saw this and, like others, found a once easy to obtain OTC drug suddenly hard to get. Drugs like omeprazole decrease the effectiveness of another drug I take so I can't use them and they took ranitidine off the market. I am back to TUMS I guess.

Cimetidine has some serious interactions. Use this link to search other drugs:

https://reference.medscape.com/drug/tagamet-cimetidine-341984#3
ZOCOR (simvastatin)
and cimetidine
1 Interaction Found
Serious - Use Alternative
cimetidine + simvastatin
cimetidine will increase the level or effect of simvastatin by affecting hepatic/intestinal enzyme CYP3A4 metabolism. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

I wonder how people are going to administer the drugstore stuff to themselves intravenously? Are we seeing a run on hypodermic kits?

The people taking it orally had overnight results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom