Feel like a pinball

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I woke up this morning and stood up I started to fall over. All day I have been bouncing off the walls because my balance is all off. I could understand if I had been drinking but all I have had the last few days is my morning tea. I know it is an inner ear malfunction but I have never had this problem before. Moving or raising my head up to quickly makes me feel like I'm going to tip over even when I am sitting. I don't know what could have set this off or what to do about it other than go see a doctor on Monday.

Has anyone had this happen? Did it just go away or did you see a health provider?

I have to drive tomorrow so I hope it goes away on it's own.

Cheers!

Do you have vertigo? As in the room spinning around as you change your head positions?

I have that (more precisely, Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV ) if I have too much sodium intake and get careless and don't drink enough water.

Hope you get better soon.

I wonder if you have an ear infection that is affecting your inner ear. Good idea to see your doctor on Monday. Not such a good idea to drive tomorrow, though.

My MIL recently had a bad case of vertigo and they found out it was actually a mini stroke. She is fine now, though - hope this doesn't apply to you.

I wonder if you have an ear infection that is affecting your inner ear. Good idea to see your doctor on Monday. Not such a good idea to drive tomorrow, though.
+1. Could be something pretty simple, and it might clear up on it's own. But I'd find out for sure on Monday if it's not gone by then (or sooner if it gets markedly worse), have someone drive you...

When I woke up this morning and stood up I started to fall over. All day I have been bouncing off the walls because my balance is all off. I could understand if I had been drinking but all I have had the last few days is my morning tea. I know it is an inner ear malfunction but I have never had this problem before. Moving or raising my head up to quickly makes me feel like I'm going to tip over even when I am sitting. I don't know what could have set this off or what to do about it other than go see a doctor on Monday.

Has anyone had this happen? Did it just go away or did you see a health provider?

I have to drive tomorrow so I hope it goes away on it's own.

Cheers!
Both DH and I have had very occasional sudden bouts of vertigo. They went away on their own - usually in a matter of an hour or one time it took a few hours for me. Something is congested in your inner ear?

Several years ago, when I was a teenager, I had vertigo which lasted several days. OTOH I'm still stuck at home trying to recover from a stroke a few years ago, in which balance (in more forms than you might think of) seems to have taken the major hit. It feels like I'm moving like a drunk.

So my advice would be to get to a doctor ASAP and get some peace of mind. Don't wait for Monday.

Several years ago, when I was a teenager, I had vertigo which lasted several days. OTOH I'm still stuck at home trying to recover from a stroke a few years ago, in which balance (in more forms than you might think of) seems to have taken the major hit. It feels like I'm moving like a drunk.

So my advice would be to get to a doctor ASAP and get some peace of mind. Don't wait for Monday.

+1 This makes a lot of sense, Badger. Maybe you should go to the emergency room immediately. I think immediate treatment is pretty important if it is a stroke.

In my case, it was Orthostatic Hypotension. It's a symptom of one of many hidden issues - minor stroke, ear infection, .... My doctor could not identify what is causing OH other than perhaps, I was suffering from stress (which I was). Anyway, it persisted and I went to a chiropractor based on a suggestion from one of my relatives. After about 6 - 8 sessions, the OH went away. I can't say for sure if the chiro sessions fixed the OH. It has been OK so far.

Thanks for all the responses. It hasn't been quite as bad today with the room spinning or wobbling when I move my head. I guess I'll check with the doctor on Monday if it doesn't clear up. An ear infection i can deal with but I really don't like the idea of a mini stroke. I sure appreciate all your help.

Cheers!

Badger, did this clear up?

It took a few days and slowly went away to where it's not as noticable this morning.

I'm still not entirely sure why it happened but I don't think it was due to a lack of anything in my diet with all that was consumed during the holidays. :D I didn't go to the doctor but the best I can come up with is something called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo that can come and go without any treatment. Some recommendations to reduce frequency are to limit salt, alcohol, caffeine and stress. The first three affect water balance in the body that could influence the semi-circular canal balance mechanism. This didn't apply since the way my balance was affected had more to do with a different inner ear balance mechanism that relies on calcium carbonate crystals. More simply put I had a "rock slide" in my inner ear. There is a simple proceedure called the Epley Maneuver that I may have inadvertently done and seems to help most of the time.

This type of vertigo appears to effect folks over 50 and may be the main cause of balance problems for many as they get older.

Thanks for asking. This is more than you wanted to know but may be helpful for others to keep in mind as we enjoy retirement.

Cheers!

I've had this happen and attribute it to some fluid build in the ear. Sure there are possibly other causes, and if it recurrs too frequently or lasts more than a few days, I'd see a Dr.

Back
Top Bottom