Flu Shots 2020

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's going to be time for flu shots soon. "Is it worth leaving my house to get a shot?" is the question for many people. Maybe they will have drive up clinics? Time will tell. DW says no if you stay home you don't need one, but maybe I might have to go to to doctor and wish I had received a flu shot.

My actual question is there are multiple types of flu shots, according to the CDC site. For those of us over 65, does Fluzone High-Dose offer better protection than the adjuvanted flu vaccine? CDC says 'who knows' (to paraphrase). I have not had anything but the normal shot previously, AFAIK.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-flu-season-2020-2021.htm

Last edited:
I saw a sign at the local Walmart pharmacy last week saying flu shots are now available... Seems early to me....

For me, I've been getting the High Dose for the past few years.... No side effects and no flu, so far...

Last edited:
My thought is that if you are isolating most of the time, wearing a mask in public, and washing your hands frequently, you are reducing your chances of getting the flu just like you are trying to avoid the coronavirus. I'm undecided for myself but leaning towards not getting one this year.

My thought is that if you are isolating most of the time, wearing a mask in public, and washing your hands frequently, you are reducing your chances of getting the flu just like you are trying to avoid the coronavirus. I'm undecided for myself but leaning towards not getting one this year.
Mask wearing is NOT for your protection but for protection of others from you.

Even if my chances of getting the flu are lower this year due to isolating, I'd still rather hedge that bet and lower it more by getting the shot, since I know I won't be 100% in my precautions, I'll still have some (minimal but nonzero) risk. Plus, if I got the flu and had to go to the doctor's office or hospital, I'd then be at higher risk for COVID-19.

OK, so the more people around me who are wearing a mask, the better protected I am.

Even if my chances of getting the flu are lower this year due to isolating, I'd still rather hedge that bet and lower it more by getting the shot,....

My thoughts exactly. The only reaction, if any, I've ever had from a flu shot is a mildly sore arm for a day or two. Most times I don't have any reaction at all. So I'll get the shot.

I haven't even had the slightest cold since the pandemic began. Getting a flu shot might be overkill. Still thinking on it.

This is one of the mistakes that CDC made, another one is the restricted testing in early days.

Masks certainly prevent droplets from directly hitting you by tracking them on the surface of the masks. I do not actually like the idea of mask mandate.

Masks do help protect the wearer - they still reduce the transmission some, as well as reduce the dose if exposed which is also important.

Let me tell you, if I have the flu, or the Covid19, no way am I going out in public, with or without a mask. I'll be too sick.:D
There are people with covid who are asymptomatic. And not everyone who has symptoms are really sick. The media seems to only highlight those who have severe symptoms so stir up fear in folks.

Masks do help protect the wearer - they still reduce the transmission some, as well as reduce the dose if exposed which is also important.
And it's also been found that it causes spread as people get the virus on their hands and then end up touching their face as they constantly have to adjust the mask and then end up spreading it to their face, the exact thing you were trying to prevent.

somehow we started with the m*sks. I got sucked in and then deleted my post.

Does anyone ever get the Fluzone High-Dose flu vaccine or the adjuvanted flu vaccine?

My GP recommends that I wait until at least October to get the flu shot. He says the immunity can diminish in 4-6 months and it usually take a couple of weeks to get maximum immunity.

I have never gotten a flu shot, and have never been diagnosed with the flu, I'm 62.

That's an exact description of DW's situation also. But I've always gotten flu shots for many years and feel they have helped me not get very sick at various times I had bad colds, etc. So now that it's risky to go get a shot, should I? I know what DW (and you) would say.

That's an exact description of DW's situation also. But I've always gotten flu shots for many years and feel they have helped me not get very sick at various times I had bad colds, etc. So now that it's risky to go get a shot, should I? I know what DW (and you) would say.
A timely topic, timo2!

I started wondering early this week when I should get my flu shot.

I don't think it is risky at all for me to get a flu shot. I go to a pharmacy on a weekday morning, say around 9 AM to get one. I always call right before going to make sure it is in stock. I had been going to a CVS, but last year I wanted to get the Fluzone High-Dose (IIRC, it was trivalent, where the regular flu shot was quadvalent) as I was eligible for it age-wise. They didn't have it, so went to a CVS that was inside a Target store instead. I have never suffered any kind of reaction at all from any flu shot. Not even a sore arm. Nothing.

Last year, for the first time ever, I saw another person there to get a shot. All other times, I'm the only one. A quick scribble out of their form, they run my cards (Medicare), glance at license for ID, then they get it out and Pharmacist administers it. I'm in and out pretty fast. I always bring my own pen, I'll bring my own hand sanitizer this year too.

My GP recommends that I wait until at least October to get the flu shot. He says the immunity can diminish in 4-6 months and it usually take a couple of weeks to get maximum immunity.
I had been getting mine in early October, but last year after reading about diminishing immunity over time, especially with older folks, I delayed until Halloween. Around here, DFW area, the first flu cases usually show up in November, but it really doesn't seem to take off until people come back from Thanksgiving trips. I'm thinking they are most likely bringing it back from colder climates, where it gets going earlier.

It usually takes about 2 weeks after the shot to build immunity, but I think I heard that that time also increases for older folks.

I'm wondering if I should pull it up a bit, or stick to late October.

I'm torn. I don't go into indoor spaces with non-household members now and probably will be continuing to avoid it through flu season. But there is always the chance there is an emergency and I have to get near other people indoors in the next 6 months.

If there is a drive-in or other outdoor flu shot clinic near me I'll probably go and get the shot. But I don't think I'll go into a pharmacy or medical office to get one if there aren't any drive-in options.

Started getting the flu shot last year and will continue this year. Shop inside Walgreens anyway, so another 5 minutes....

I have never gotten a flu shot, and have never been diagnosed with the flu, I'm 62.

That was my Mom, until about 60 she got the flu which then turned into pneumonia. She spent 2 weeks in bed and still complains about it whenever the topic comes up.

Flu shots ever since for her. I started them about 5 years ago after a run-of-the-mill flu that ruined a week in my first months of ER. Figured I didn't spend all that effort saving for ER to waste it being avoidably-sick, so I'll take the shot every year.

Back
Top Bottom