Free Accu-Check Diabetic Test Meters

scrabbler1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Through my health insurer and CVS/Caremark, its partnered pharmacy, I was able to order at no charge a new Glucose test meter. This is helpful because the test strips I had been getting for the last 5 years seemed to have disappeared from Amazon, where I buy them from at much lower prices than through retail outlets, even if I used my insurance.

I was looking to find new test strips and a compatible meter for them now that I know my existing one will be useless once my current supply of test strips runs out next month. I already had another meter and some test strips which are available on Amazon and at a reasonable price (and at my local CVS at a much higher price). But when I inquired with my insurer about its rules about buying test strips through the insurance, a rep told me about this free meter program.

When I called CVS/Caremark, however, they wanted me to buy test strips through them (and the insurance). But the copay covers me for so few test strips, it is still cheaper to buy them through Amazon. The rep had to check with her superiors to see if they could still give me the meter for free, not that it is very costly (about $35 on Amazon). She said it was okay although I had become a little nervous about exposing their racket.

This kind of racket reminds me of how laser or inkjet printer manufacturers sell their printers at dirt-cheap prices so you will have to buy their far costlier toner or inkjet cartridges year after year after year. Thankfully, with my test strips, competition allows me to get the best of both worlds, the meter for free and the strips through Amazon at lower prices.

Have any of you been able to get or use these free meters? I ordered the Accu-Check Guide meter.

Wasn't free but have been using the ReliOn meter that Walmart sells, as I recall the meter was $9 and $9 for 50 test strips. The meter seems pretty good but not a regular user, maybe once a week to monitor my fasting levels. Yes, the test strips for some meters are pricey.

Last edited:
Here is another deal, if you like the One Touch brand. I had used a predecessor about 6 years ago.

I am thinking about doing some more monitoring, because my numbers have started creeping up again. Getting old sucks.

What a deal! :)

I have been using True Metrix meters ($6.99) and test strips ($14.99 for 100).

I started using them since my brother recommended this brand for price, but then discovered that this is the brand used by my endocrinologist's staff too. So, I'll stick with this brand since the results should be comparable to the results they get at his office.

I started using them since my brother recommended this brand for price, but then discovered that this is the brand used by my endocrinologist's staff too. So, I'll stick with this brand since the results should be comparable to the results they get at his office.

I would hope with any meter and test strips that the result would be the same for all, otherwise (IMHO) it means some are wrong

Are you getting accurate results? I tried several boxes of test strips and my readings were all over the place (too big a variance when I used multiple strips one after another) compared to what I used to use (TrueTest which was so very cheap as far as test strips were concerned, but it was discontinued.) so I abandoned it in a hurry. I bought two meters so the problem was most likely not because of a faulty meter. It could have been bad batches of test strips, but I bought hundreds at once so I ended up throwing the whole thing away...

Last edited:
I had been using Accu-chek for the last two years as I could get fairly cheap test strips on Ebay from India, but now with the pandemic, nothing is getting through, so I moved onto TrueTrack which seems to be pretty consistent and giving accurate results. The test strips are sold in the US and they are relatively inexpensive. Do you have an HSA account? That may be an option for you...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom