Medicare Hacked, No diabetic test strips

wolf

Full time employment: Posting here.
Diabetes Test strips are covered under Medicare Part B.
Since Feb 28th, trying to get my prescription filled at local Safeway Pharm.
Was told, the 3rd party firm, that handles Medicare Part B was hacked.
So they cannot fill my prescription for test strips.
Pharmacist said they are still waiting for "Medicare" to fix the problem.

Still waiting. Curious, Anyone else have this problem. :dance:

Medicare isn’t a pharmacy, they don’t carry inventory or deliver products. Why would they be responsible if there were a shortage?

The Change Healthcare issue prevented payments.

But I thought UHC paid a $22M ransom to fix that one.

About a week ago Medicare agreed to take advance claims for Part B from providers who are unable to submit them normally because of the Change Healthcare hack. I don't know if that doesn't include pharmacists or if Safeway just doesn't have a way to submit their claims directly to Medicare.

You could try another pharmacy, maybe a smaller one if you still have any that aren't part of a massive conglomerate in your area. Worst case, you can buy test strips OTC. You may not get reimbursed for the expense, but the complications if you don't test and adjust meds are potentially serious, so I would think it's worth the cost.

check the price via GoodRx, it can be less than your insurance co-pay

It's the responsibility of Change Healthcare, which is owned by UnitedHealth Group to fix their problem, frankly this has nothing to do with medicare.

It's that a company can't bill medicare for a prescription due to the company having weak computer security so they got hacked.

exactly… i just got more test strips last week from medicare and no problems

Medicare isn’t a pharmacy, they don’t carry inventory or deliver products. Why would they be responsible if there were a shortage?

The "subcontractor" that handles Medicare, Part B. Got hacked. The "software" got hacked. Nothing to do with inventory or products or shortage.

Safeway, Pharmacy, say's, they cannot "process" the paperwork to fill my
prescription.

I may try a different pharmacy.

Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom