Glasses for Computer Use

Well ... Here's a little more detailed explanation: The "sphere" is simply the magnification (in diopters) of the base prescription. Positive numbers for farsighted people, negative for nearsighted people like me. For closer work, we need to add magnification, which (gasp!) is what the "add" numbers are. Those will always be positive. The "add" in your doctor's prescription is the magnification you need added for reading distance. So for single vision reading glasses you just add up the "sphere" and the "doctor's add." For middle distance/aka computer I have been using half the doctor's "add" number. My monitors are about 24" away.

But the Chinese glasses are so cheap, it is easy to experiment. Want more added magnification? Order lenses using a bigger "add" number. Less, use a smaller number. No lens police will come to your door.

Don't give the "add" number to the glasses company if you are ordering single vision glasses as it will confuse them. Just give them left and right lens sphere numbers that are your heart's desire.

Shooting competitive pistol I used supplemental lenses on a frame that held the lenses in front of my glasses lens. I wanted to focus on the pistol front sight at arm's length; 0.75 diopter got me there.

I am not an optician, btw. Use at your own risk.

I used to shoot USPSA years ago until my vision went south. I gave up trying to get glasses that would work for me with the adjustment on the top of the lens to keep the sights in focus. Anyway, I discovered this formula for determining best Rx:

"1/D = f

Where D is your lens power in diopters
And f is the focal distance in meters

So if you want your computer screen 80 cm from your face that is 0.8 m

1/D = 0.8
1/0.8 = D
D = 1.25 = +1.25

Now just add this +1.25 to the spherical portion of your prescription (for both eyes) and voilà you have computer glasses."

So in my case, I sit ~ 35" to 36" away from the screen, therefore converting that to meters you get ~ 0.9 m. So if I add that to my sphere from my Rx, I get 1.4 for right eye and 2.15 for the left eye. Then just go with the cylinder and axis from my Rx.

What has been puzzling me, is how much the sphere has changed in my left eye since my cataract surgery back in 2016, as it went from .5 to 1.25 late last year. Makes me think I've developed a PCO.

In my experience, it a trial and error type of process. I have computer glasses with the blue light filter. I like them a lot. I can look at the screen and look down to see my keyboard or paperwork without changing glasses. However, the road to get here had a few curves along the way. One pair was so bad, I had to return them. The actual space that provided an in focus condition was so small, they were just worthless. Along the way, a couple places were very helpful and got me dialed in. It really matters how progressive the lenses are and where the transitions take place. Mine are closer to a reading glasses because I have good far vision so the progressive transition is mostly in the bottom two thirds of the lens. It’s very personal based on eye/vision specifics. I’ve found Costco to be very good at dialing in my glasses. They also have a good return policy. The main thing is that you have to sit down with someone and be very specific about your needs. Make sure you bring in measurements of how far your eyes are from your monitor and your desk. Make sure you ask for “computer” glasses. They are a specific type of glasses.

As for readers, I agree, get a bunch of cheap ones and have them around the house and car. But for the main pair I use most of the time (and much of the time), I’m willing to spend a bit of time and money to get what I need and like.

I avoid the problem by using my 65" TV as my computer monitor. I sit 8' away wearing my regular prescription glasses and everything is perfectly clear. Neck strain is also prevented because the viewing angle is optimal.

I had cataract surgery a few weeks ago. I see far off better, and my vision close up is also improved. But I sometimes use my old $1 Dollar Tree glasses on the laptop.

And I don't care how good you can see, a magnifying glass is still required to read the fine print on all kinds of products. Ever try to read about herbicide on the bottle? I honestly don't know how they can print such small fonts today.

And I don't care how good you can see, a magnifying glass is still required to read the fine print on all kinds of products. Ever try to read about herbicide on the bottle? I honestly don't know how they can print such small fonts today.

Very true. I wonder if I could have read some of these minuscule print sizes when my closeup vision was much better.

Take a pic with your phone and expand it.

I got Costco's multi-functional glasses for computer work. It's like a regular progressive in that there are multiple powers but the key difference is that the main center part of the lens is for computer work and top is for distance and the bottom is for small print. I like these better than the single power prescription computer glasses I had previously. Anti-glare and blue light block are included which has drastically reduced my headaches from eye strain. Here is a link to the description on Costco's website.

https://www.costco.com/optical.html#computer

I got Costco's multi-functional glasses for computer work. ...
I have the really-out-of-style lined trifocals. The top is distance, the middle is middle-distance, and the bottom is reading. Pretty much like the Costco idea, I think. From a vision standpoint the middle works fine as a computer prescription but the height of the middle panel makes me cock my head back a bit to get it lined up with the monitor. So it works, but I prefer my Chinese single-vision glasses, which are the same prescription as the middle of the trifocals.

The advantage of the lined trifocals is that I don't have to keep moving my head, hence the sweet spot, from side to side in order to read a newspaper.

Hope this helps. Says the formula is for bifocals but I can confirm it works for progressive lenses as well.

View attachment 42195
Looking at that formula and most of the comments on this thread, it seems I am in the opposite direction of most here, being far-sighted.

I am at OD (+2.25), OS (+1.50), and Add (+2.00). If I've done the calculations correctly for a set of computer bifocals, I would need OD (+3.25), OS (+2.50), and Add (+1.00). I am not sure what it would be for a set of single vision glasses for computer use.

Looking at that formula and most of the comments on this thread, it seems I am in the opposite direction of most here, being far-sighted.

I am at OD (+2.25), OS (+1.50), and Add (+2.00). If I've done the calculations correctly for a set of computer bifocals, I would need OD (+3.25), OS (+2.50), and Add (+1.00). I am not sure what it would be for a set of single vision glasses for computer use.

I might be wrong, but once you added half the add to the sphere, you are done, so no need to have an add for single vision computer.

An ounce of data trumps a pound of theories. Just buy a couple of single-vision glasses; one with the sphere + 1/2 of your "Add" number and one with the sphere + the "Add." See what you think. The experiment doesn't need to cost more than $50.
Probably not that cheap if one's vision is different enough between eyes to require prescription lenses (in my case, it would be +3.25 and +2.50) to get the 1/2 Add for computer usage.

I might be wrong, but once you added half the add to the sphere, you are done, so no need to have an add for single vision computer.
For bifocals @statsman does need an add, but his original add was +2 and he has moved half of that to his main/upper prescription so I think that the +1 that remains is the add in this situation.

Probably not that cheap if one's vision is different enough between eyes to require prescription lenses (in my case, it would be +3.25 and +2.50) to get the 1/2 Add for computer usage.
That's pretty close to my prescription and I typically get two on-sale pairs for $25 plus shipping from one of several Chinese outfits I have used. Zennioptical tends, I think, to be a tad higher but today I find on their site: "Spring Fling Sale - 30% off lenses & coatings now through 4/17. Code: SPRINGFLING22" Having sales seems to be a way of life for these vendors. From looking at old email files I see that I have also used EyebuyDirect, Goggles4U, LensesRX and OpticalForLess. For this type of thing I am pretty much a price shopper and I don’t' remember any problems with any of them.

I actually went to Dollar Tree and stood back 30" from the reading glasses stand and tried on glasses until I found the one that worked using the eye chart mounted there, for one eye, then the other. I bought the required strength in two identical frames, then took them home and popped out and swapped the lenses. This was before I realized I could buy the prescription Zennis for $6. :LOL:

For bifocals @statsman does need an add, but his original add was +2 and he has moved half of that to his main/upper prescription so I think that the +1 that remains is the add in this situation.

I did not think he wanted bifocals?

I did not think he wanted bifocals?
I've actually commented on both computer bifocals and single vision glasses in this thread. I'll probably try the single vision first to get some idea of how much help they provide, or whether my lazy, weaker right eye limits how well I can focus on a computer monitor.

I've actually commented on both computer bifocals and single vision glasses in this thread. I'll probably try the single vision first to get some idea of how much help they provide, or whether my lazy, weaker right eye limits how well I can focus on a computer monitor.

In my experience, it’s definitely a trial and error process. The more information you gain, the better you’ll be able to help someone fit you. Once you get dialed in, it’s a lot easier.

I understand the issue you are all describing related to glasses and reading but has anyone tried contact lenses?

I have worn contact lenses for near sightedness for years and love the convenience. I also needed reading glasses with them. I discussed this with my ophthalmologist when my prescription changed several years ago.

After trying several types of lenses, we settled on Alcon Aqua-comfort Plus Dailies, multi-focal lenses.

They work like progressive lenses allowing me great vision for distance AND reading. I do work at a computer and find no issues or need for any other vision correction. These were a game changer for me and I got rid of every damn pair of reading glasses I used to keep (or forget to bring) around.

Contact lenses might not be for everyone but since I wore them already, this was a simple solution to the eternal reading glasses [emoji851] issue!

I got Costco's multi-functional glasses for computer work. It's like a regular progressive in that there are multiple powers but the key difference is that the main center part of the lens is for computer work and top is for distance and the bottom is for small print. I like these better than the single power prescription computer glasses I had previously. Anti-glare and blue light block are included which has drastically reduced my headaches from eye strain. Here is a link to the description on Costco's website.

https://www.costco.com/optical.html#computer

Most of my computer work is at a desk with keyboard tray and a 32" 4K monitor just over arm's length away. I have been using these Costco lenses for a few years, they work great for me, giving me clear vision of the keyboard, papers on the desk, and the monitor at the back edge.

Before my cataract surgery, I used computer glasses. They were progressive lenses with the top optimized for computer distance and the bottom optimized for reading. I wanted that so I could read papers on my desk without having to switch glasses.

'''
That said -- when I had cataract surgery my main vision outcome that I was shooting for was to not need computer glasses. I didn't mind having to wear reading glasses or even distance glasses but I didn't want computer glasses. I did achieve that with my surgery and so no longer wear glasses on the computer at all.

Makes sense. I went for distance vision in both eyes. Although I can use reading glasses for computer less magnification is better. I got a variety pack of readers from Amazon so I could optimize. I have +1.5 to +3.25 left after giving away the others.

Many computer monitors have a 'blue light' setting that can be adjusted to reduce the amount of blue light being used. It is more useful to use that option, rather than using 'blue light filtering' glasses.

Blue light option is great, IMO, for your eyes. I use the computer a LOT and using these helped reduce eye-aches.

If you save up enough money you can have someone do the reading for you :LOL:

Blue light option is great, IMO, for your eyes. I use the computer a LOT and using these helped reduce eye-aches.

You get eye-aches? Yow, that would be very disturbing to me. :-\ I don't get eye-aches, just itchy eyes from allergies or whatever.

I use computer glasses. I’ve had this pair so long I don’t know the prescription, and my regular progressive glasses prescription has changed at least once since I got them. They also work well for reading music.

I wear progressive lens glasses that have a 1.5 adjustment for reading and I basically wear them all the time, although I can get by without glasses more so for distance than up close. I have heard that computer glasses should be 1/2 the power of reading glasses as the distance to the screen is further than when reading a book. For those that wear computer glasses with an Rx factor, how do you like them and do you believe it's worth buying a pair for computer use? Also, what about blue light filtering, good, bad or meaningless?
I consider computer glasses a must. They are also good to have when you are working with your hands or at an arms length. For example using a screwdriver, painting a wall, etc. where the focus may not be perfect for every task but can provide a clearer view as you position yourself relative to the task at hand.

As others have stated, it is somewhat trial and error as you may want your monitor a few inches closer or further away depending on your desk, monitor size, etc. I recommend buying some cheap ones online to help you figure out which Rx and frames work best.

I don't include blue light filtering, as I do not consider it essential and most devices and operating systems are starting to support that in software. I do typically include the AR and Oleophobic coatings. Your preferences may differ.

When I went searching for information about eyeglasses a few years ago I expected to find everything well explained regarding the different lens materials, coatings, progressive vs bifocals vs single vision, relationship between head size vs frame width/size vs pupil distance, ... but it was not presented very well by any one website. I had just gotten a first pair of eyeglasses which were progressive and I could barely wear them as they had so much distortion and gave the world too much tilt. The optician remade them a second time and the titling sensation diminished but overall I still did not like them. Over the next year I ended up getting 6-7 pairs of single/bifocal glasses online for less than that first pair which never gets worn.

A few links that discuss how to convert your prescription, which may be getting dated as I have not researched this in about two years:
https://www.glassesshop.com/doc/how-do-i-read-my-prescription
https://healthfully.com/make-own-eye-chart-5113089.html
https://healthfully.com/convert-bifocals-single-vision-7370618.html
https://www.aclens.com/How-to-Read-Your-Eyeglass-Prescription
https://www.specsexpert.com/how-to-convert-your-eyeglasses-prescription.html
https://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/how-to-choose.htm

I wear progressive lens glasses that have a 1.5 adjustment for reading and I basically wear them all the time, although I can get by without glasses more so for distance than up close. I have heard that computer glasses should be 1/2 the power of reading glasses as the distance to the screen is further than when reading a book. For those that wear computer glasses with an Rx factor, how do you like them and do you believe it's worth buying a pair for computer use? Also, what about blue light filtering, good, bad or meaningless?

Along with my last set of multi focal glasses, I bought a pair of computer glasses from Costco. I spend at least 8 hours a day staring at a computer screen. I can think of no other purchase that improved my day like those $130 glasses. Highly recommended!

Back
Top Bottom