Glasses for Computer Use

I don’t need glasses for driving or reading but for the computer they are a huge help. Buy them from the pharmacy and keep a +1, +1.5 and a +2 in the drawer for varying sitting positions. So cheap it is worth it. Also have a bifocal pair of sunglasses for driving that help with that short middle distance to read the dash or the GPS

I appreciate everyones input on this subject. The main reason I am investigating is because I currently wear progressives and need to tilt my head to read some portions of my computer screen and that tilting gets tiring. Anyway, due to my perhaps unusual Rx, I ordered a pair from Zenni. Reasonable enough in price, although a little more expensive than the off shelf variety with fixed magnification in both lenses. I did not opt for blue light filtering as I want to get into photographic editing and did not want that to introduce any off color bias.

I appreciate everyones input on this subject. The main reason I am investigating is because I currently wear progressives and need to tilt my head to read some portions of my computer screen and that tilting gets tiring. Anyway, due to my perhaps unusual Rx, I ordered a pair from Zenni. Reasonable enough in price, although a little more expensive than the off shelf variety with fixed magnification in both lenses. I did not opt for blue light filtering as I want to get into photographic editing and did not want that to introduce any off color bias.
You commented on us having similar prescriptions, so I look forward to your feedback on the Zenni glasses. I had everything entered on their website, but then saw I needed an account. I already have more online accounts than I care to deal with, most that I cannot deactivate.

You commented on us having similar prescriptions, so I look forward to your feedback on the Zenni glasses. I had everything entered on their website, but then saw I needed an account. I already have more online accounts than I care to deal with, most that I cannot deactivate.

Will definitely provide an update. I really wish more businesses allowed customers to check out as guests to avoid setting up an account.

Makes sense. I went for distance vision in both eyes. Although I can use reading glasses for computer less magnification is better. I got a variety pack of readers from Amazon so I could optimize. I have +1.5 to +3.25 left after giving away the others.

Do you have a link for that variety pack? Thanks. I spent an hour today searching Amazon for a pack of reading glasses with different magnifications, and couldn't find any. I was probably using the wrong search terms.

I have both computer glasses and reading glasses. Many pairs. My prescription add is +2 diopters, so I split it for computer, +1 and take the full add +2 for reading.

Whenever I get new numbers I go online and shop the Chinese glasses suppliers. I am not at all fussy about frame cosmetics, so I can always find sales with two single-vision pairs for $25.00 plus shipping. I typically buy four reading glasses so I can have a pair near every chair where I read + one for travel, and I buy two computer glasses pairs. For frames, I buy brown or gold, for reading I buy black. I don't buy any of the add-on coatings.

The way to order single vision is to take the spere correction and add the "add" number that you want. So if your sphere is -3 and your add is +1.5, your single vision sphere number is -1.5 and the other numbers stay the same.

In our state, an optician is not allowed to make glasses without an prescription from a doctor. Nice little gouge for the doctors. So I can't buy locally and pay the US ripoff prices. Not that I would anyway.
Please message me the off shore company you get your glasses from.

Thanks

Received my Zenni computer glasses today. These are fantastic, no more head tilting with the progressives and screen is much clearer as well. Frame seems very high quality and overall this turned out way better than I imagined. I opted for the 1.61 hi index lenses with anti-reflective coating. Cost $31.85

Last edited:
Received my Zenni computer glasses today. These are fantastic, no more head tilting with the progressives and screen is much clearer as well. Frame seems very high quality and overall this turned out way better than I imagined. I opted for the 1.61 hi index lenses with anti-reflective coating. Cost $31.85
Thanks for the update. Did you opt for single vision or bifocal for computer use? I'm going to bite the bullet and create yet another online account to purchase glasses for computer use.

Thanks for the update. Did you opt for single vision or bifocal for computer use? I'm going to bite the bullet and create yet another online account to purchase glasses for computer use.

I went for single vision. My progressives are fine for most uses, but looking at my monitor required too much neck cranking to make the whole screen clear.

I went for single vision. My progressives are fine for most uses, but looking at my monitor required too much neck cranking to make the whole screen clear.

Congratulations. You've solved a problem and saved a ton of money.

Since you went for single vision, how are they for reading something, like looking at your phone or reading a book?

Congratulations. You've solved a problem and saved a ton of money.

Since you went for single vision, how are they for reading something, like looking at your phone or reading a book?

Actually quite good, provided I hold the book or phone at least 14 - 16" away.

Actually quite good, provided I hold the book or phone at least 14 - 16" away.

When I order computer glasses I do the calculations and use the ADD component so I have progressives. I don't have to tilt my head when looking at the computer and I can easily read things held in my hands without needing to extend my hands.

The reason people have to tilt their head with progressives when looking at a computer screen is because the intermediate distance component of the lens is quite small and near distance component is not much bigger and is at the bottom of the lens. Like this:

Zenni Progressives.jpg

Zenni does have an option where they will build a set of progressive glasses from your regular prescription, no calculations necessary, for a couple of applications. Like this:

Zenni Progressive Options.jpg

I've never done this, always used the calculation method, but I think next time I will give it a try.

When I order computer glasses I do the calculations and use the ADD component so I have progressives. I don't have to tilt my head when looking at the computer and I can easily read things held in my hands without needing to extend my hands.

The reason people have to tilt their head with progressives when looking at a computer screen is because the intermediate distance component of the lens is quite small and near distance component is not much bigger and is at the bottom of the lens. Like this:

View attachment 42293

Zenni does have an option where they will build a set of progressive glasses from your regular prescription, no calculations necessary, for a couple of applications. Like this:

View attachment 42294

I've never done this, always used the calculation method, but I think next time I will give it a try.

For reading a book, I usually have the book in my lap, so no real adjustment needed for that with the computer glasses. One other observation I discovered by accident, when I used to get an eyelash stuck in the bottom of my lid, it was very difficult for me to see with my progressive lenses, but now I can inspect the bottom of my eyelid with great clarity when looking in a mirror, although not a good reason to opt for these type of glasses.

Back
Top Bottom