Health care cost estimator, AARP, Healthview

eroscott

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm looking closer at health care estimates to update my financial planning tools (main one Total Planning Suite and Golden Years option).

My significant other was diagnosed with Lupus last summer based on annual bloodwork. I was "retired" at the time and she is still working until our son (diabetic) is 26 per pre-lupus planning. She is doing extremely well and fortunately does not have any of the normal signs except bloodwork numbers. Her medications are working well. We are pretty happy about it at this point compared to 6 months ago and all the test and various doctor visits.

The AARP one is nice in that you can add 1 or more health conditions to it:
https://healthcostscalc.aarp.org/content/health-savings-checkup/aarp-site/en/welcome-page.html

The HealthView services one gives you a nice range:
https://hvsweb1.hvsfinancial.com/hvadvisor/
One financial advisor I've talked to uses that range from lowest value in current year to highest range value in the 3rd to last year of your demise. Then the highest is tripled in the last 3 years. Of course, if you have a spouse or SI then you double these numbers.

Also attached a 2015 health care data report

Any others folks like/use?

P.S. I did do some searching but didn't find any threads mentioning the above tools.

Last edited:
I think I looked at this last year. I want more precise (as much as possible) numbers, so my plan is for the library to release the hold (I'm number two in line now) on the (highly recommended) Medicare for Dummies book and then go through Medicare.gov to get an idea of expenses when starting Medicare. I haven't been able to find a more accurate methodology for estimating retirement healthcare costs post-Medicare than that (pre-Medicare I'm covered through COBRA, which allows for exact numbers). I used exactly this method for estimating taxes in retirement using tax software.

Back
Top Bottom