Health care with a warranty!

This is a perfect example of the free market at work! We're going to start seeing more and more of this kind of thing as the "healthcare crisis" drives innovators to look for new and better ways to deliver healthcare in a more cost-effective and efficient manner. Problem is, it takes TIME for such systems to develop, and I'm not sure America will have the patience.

It's a creative twist.

I wouldn't reject such programs outright, but there are some potential problems:

Adverse selection. If you are a patient with preoperative risks or technical reasons why a procedure might be more prone to complications than average, might you be steered toward non-surgical options, or perhaps be delayed, etc.?

Years ago one of the large carriers decided to score cardiac surgeons on their outcomes from coronary bypass surgery. One of the best known surgeons in town (a national figure) rated very low, to everyone's surprise. The results were widely publicized and he became very upset. Turns out that he was the "go to" guy for patients that other surgeons could not, would not, or refused to do. He did them with results that were decent, though of course well below the mean. I could see where "warranty care" could drive some to stick to the easy or favorable prognosis populations if the rewards and penalties were great enough.

Or the doctor who has more noncompliant patients whose follow-up care is poor (this sometimes happens as a function of the practice's location).

The idea is not without merit, but this is a tricky business.

Interesting! A little aside - a hospital in our town recently expanded the number of beds. Who did they control costs they put large flat screen TVS at the foot of each bed. When I was in the hospital for back surgery all I wanted was pain medication I never even turned on the TV. They also built at a cost of around 1 million dollars a restaurant they say it will produce 75,000 a year in income for the hospital. Do you want to bet on that? Who wants to eat hospital food? They spent a lot of other money on dumb things. This is a non-profit hospital that does not know how to control costs.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
The idea is not without merit, but this is a tricky business.

IMO, the idea has a lot of merit. If they won't take you, go elsewhere. Meanwhile, their experience proves that life and death isn't enough to motivate the surgeons and their aides to do it right. But a chance of getting stuck with negative profit case is enough.

They even cancel surgery if the pre-op protocol hasn't been carried out completely.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom