HI Cost surprise

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Retired in Feb. 2016 and started employer retiree medical March 2016. My company had just been acquired by a MegaCorp six months earlier, but my employer had provided subsidized retiree medical for the previous 10 years, since we separated from the previous MegaCorp owner.

First year costs were about $925/month (for 2)

Second year costs were about $1225/month (for 2)

With current state of insurance uncertainty I was dreading the update for 2018.

I get a letter yesterday. New price is $756/month:dance:. Same BCBS supplier, though I have not seen the 2018 deductibles and max OOP.

But, this time the letter explicitly shows the company subsidy of $975/month (past letters did not address this, but I assumed it was baked in), which is exactly the subsidy cap my employer had when they were independent.

So, I am happy that my HI cost actually will go down by about $475/month for 2018, but I am wondering if I actually got screwed out of the subsidy for 22 months (over $20,000:mad:)

I intend to follow-up, but plan to wait until after the new year, giving them a chance to own up.

FYI, MegaCorp just merged with another MegaCorp in August and I am wondering if this was caught during the due diligence.

Give them a chance to own up?, I'd be writing that letter, making those calls right now, making a copy of the letter you got yesterday and asking them to verify the last 2 years payments ASAP...

Give them a chance to own up?, I'd be writing that letter, making those calls right now, making a copy of the letter you got yesterday and asking them to verify the last 2 years payments ASAP...

You make a good point, but calls are a waste of time. There is no HR at the former employer (literally, no one). I have to call an 800 number. Did that today and talked to Boris (really, no kidding, complete with the accent). My MegaCorp probably has less than a dozen people on this unique plan (out of tens of thousands of retirees), and no one you talk to has any clue.

So, a letter is really the only way to go, and I will get to that. The reason I am treading lightly is that it would be very easy, and very legal, for them to simply say....No more soup for you. The plan clearly can be cancelled at any time, and with so few people to tick off, they might just do it.

Weirdly, there is a website that I can use, but it is ONE WAY. They can send me a message, but I cannot send one to them, go figure.:facepalm:

Man is this new corporate culture in this country? Intimidating you enough that you don't even want to ask if you were overcharged?Maybe you wouldn't get your money back anyway...

Man is this new corporate culture in this country? Intimidating you enough that you don't even want to ask if you were overcharged?Maybe you wouldn't get your money back anyway...

Oh, don't worry, I WILL send a letter. I just want to be sure the new policy is in effect and I have made the first payment. I also keep in touch with a few retirees that are in the same boat, so it will be investigated. But it is prudent to watch your step when tackling the new $166 Billion MEGACORP. The CEO has a reputation for taking no prisoners.

His minions would flick us aside in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom