I Think I May Never Look The Same At Gatorade

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've hit the big 50. Actually 50 and several months.

Of course, you know what that means, at 50, it's time to do a "Katie Couric :LOL:."

I'm scheduled for the exam next Wednesday. I've heard usually the prep is worse than the actual exam. Instead of a prescriptioned prep, the instructions I got calls for laxative tablets, MIRALAX and 64oz of Gatorade.

My question is on the MIRALAX and Gatorade mixture, what does it taste like? Just Gatorade?

As I understand in the past, the taste of the prep (besides all the trips to the can) is usually the worst part.

I had to take some awful stuff they gave me at the hospital....and I think it was 2 gallon's worth. Bleeeeeckh!

Be sure to invest in some soft toilet tissue. Your behind will thank you.

Best of luck.

omni

My question is on the MIRALAX and Gatorade mixture, what does it taste like? Just Gatorade?

Yes. MIRALAX has virtually no taste when mixed into almost anything.

The prescribed stuff tastes like flavored anti-freeze :sick:

Remember no red (or orange or purple) drinks or jello. I do not like the taste of Gatorade, so I went with PowerAde. It was actually pretty good.

I made up a lot of lemon and lime jello ahead of time to keep my stomach happy. I ate it all.
Mr B went with clear chicken broth only, no jello for the "tough guy". :rolleyes:

I made a specific request to the nurse to "put me in another galaxy" when I was asked how awake I wanted to be during the procedure.

You truly need to be within a few feet of the toilet when things start emptying out. I set Mr B up with a small wicker table and some paperw*rk he needed to do anyway. I was nice and took no photos. :ROFLMAO:

Yes. MIRALAX has virtually no taste when mixed into almost anything.

The prescribed stuff tastes like flavored anti-freeze :sick:
I had to do colate (sp?) both times. (They found polyps at age 42 so I'm on the frequent flyer program... unfortunately)

The taste is worse than antifreeze. To me it tasted like drinking gallons of SWEAT. not just a few drops... but by the gallon. It is totally nasty and almost impossible to force down in the speed they tell you to. I had a hard time not gagging.

Gatorade sounds like a much better solution. Just make sure not to get red or orange... As freebird said - they want to avoid the red hues.

Thanks for all your input. I like the taste of Gatorade, which is a plus. Except the surgary taste after too any cups. I did do my research and measured out an 8 oz size, which isn't that much per drink.

Thanks for the reminders about no red, orange (and pink or purple either per the instructions I got. Plus starting now no nuts or anything with seeds -- I suppose, they don't want any false positives).

My biggest concern at the moment is when the show starts, if the drinking and the you know what times overlap :blush:.

Last edited:
I assume no one read the link in my earlier post above #4, you might really have a good laugh...

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/world-class-colonoscopy-52370.html

A friend had a multi-day procedure that essentially involved eating no carbs or fiber for three days before the colonoscopy beverage. During "prep evening" there were problems with dizziness and tremors. Phone calls to the hospital's duty doctor were met with the medical equivalent of "Oh stop whining and keep sucking it up, you'll be fine!"

When the friend began vomiting back up the beverage, they (the friend, not the doctor) decided to abort the whole evolution. Maybe they'll try again next year with a different doctor and a different procedure.

I was nice and took no photos. :ROFLMAO:

I don't even want to think about the reaction that would get from DW. Next time I'll mention the thought and have the camera ready to capture the enraged look that will generate.

Oh wait, that might be just as bad. Never mind.:hide:

I can't stand the taste of Gatorade or its competitors, so they let me substitute ginger ale. No problems; done it twice now.

recommend weighing the need for the colonoscopy carefully. in addition to the risks of them perforating the intestine during the procedure, it is my understanding that the way the colonoscopy scope it constructed, it cannot be fully cleaned and sanitized between usages. it's a bad scope design. a family friend recently became very ill after a colonoscopy - suddenly had symptoms of an intestinal infection after the procedure. they diagnosed her with Crohn's Disease.

I assume no one read the link in my earlier post above #4, you might really have a good laugh...

I love Dave Barry, and he really hits home with this one. Only my music was the Allman Brothers' Jessica.

Had two of them, found polyps the first time so I go every 5 years. As others have said, the prep is the worst part. Good luck.

Went thru this myself three months ago. There is a new prep out called Suprep, comes in two bottles. You mix the first bottle with water to make a total 16 ounces, drink it, then drink another two 16 ounce servings of water in the next hour.

Eight hours later, repeat the process.

The stuff tasted somewhat like cough syrup, and while it did cause me to "have to go", it was very controlled and not like the sudden need induced by most laxatives.

Went to see Bill Cosby. He keeps his routine fresh. He doesn't tell many stories about being a kid but having grandkids and his latest colonoscopy.

Colon cancer is the second most prevalent cancer and one of the most preventable ones to deal with if you go get checked out. It takes a polyp 5 to 10 years to go cancerous. I think most of them do if not removed.

I am 54 and had my first colonoscopy about 5 months ago. I had put it off for about 4 years and just did not follow through. Same with my annual physicals. Then one day one of my coworkers passed out and they discovered he was bleeding inside the intestines. It was colon cancer and he barely lived...they had to take out a good part of his intestines. So...I got off my butt and scheduled my colonoscopy the following week. It had scared the hell out of me.

I'm glad I did. They removed 4 polyps...a couple were pretty large. No cancer, though. I will have to go back in 5 years, since when they find some the odds are more will develop later.

I think the prep process is not too bad. Except that I also have hemorrhoids. For me having them was extremely painful and afterward for about a week. Having hemorrhoids has nothing to do with the procedure, though.

I was back to normal the next day...except for my aching hemorrhoids.

Watch these to learn about the procedure. It's pretty neat...

Colonoscopy Video Tour: Journey Through a Healthy Colon - YouTube

Colonoscopy Video Tour: Removal of a Colon Polyp (Polypectomy) - YouTube

Colonoscopy Video Tour: Discovery of a Cancerous Polyp (Colon Cancer) - YouTube

Any questions...ask.

I'd recommend some baby wipes/flushable wet wipes that are pretty common now. Even the softest toilet paper can be too rough after a while.
Had to do a similar prep for a different surgery, the stuff I drank was awful.

recommend weighing the need for the colonoscopy carefully. in addition to the risks of them perforating the intestine during the procedure, it is my understanding that the way the colonoscopy scope it constructed, it cannot be fully cleaned and sanitized between usages. it's a bad scope design. a family friend recently became very ill after a colonoscopy - suddenly had symptoms of an intestinal infection after the procedure. they diagnosed her with Crohn's Disease.

The scopes are cleaned by hand and then go into a special washer sterilizer between procedures. These sterilizers clean every inch of the scopes . Most clinics have quite a few scopes .

Last edited:
recommend weighing the need for the colonoscopy carefully.
Other than fears of bad hygiene and large probes, what criteria would you recommend that the average colonoscopy candidate use in their careful weighing?

Even a CAT scan will find polyps that still have to be excised & biopsied for a definite verdict. Either way you might as well go through the colonoscopy.

Had my 3rd tunneling a few months ago. Yep prep is worse part. ... It might be old age or the 5 year spread, but believe it or not it is easier every time. Still s*cks ... but it is less drinking and not as nasty now. No new polyps ( since the 1st colonoscopy), but I now am the proud owner of some hemorrhoids. ... it' always something. Oh well the alternative is worse. It's good to be alive and kick'n.

Just had mine. Had the option of some prescription pills ($94.00) instead of the liquid. That went pretty easy. 4 pills every half hour 5x on one day, next day 4 pills every half hour 3x. Soft tissue & Vaseline are my helpful hint to everybody who has to undergo the proceeding.

Just had mine. Had the option of some prescription pills ($94.00) instead of the liquid. That went pretty easy. 4 pills every half hour 5x on one day, next day 4 pills every half hour 3x. Soft tissue & Vaseline are my helpful hint to everybody who has to undergo the proceeding.

While I am a cheap SOB on many things, I would easily trade $94 for not having to drink a gallon of that nasty prep brine.

Back
Top Bottom