IEEE Comprehensive Medical Insurance

jeff2006

Recycles dryer sheets
According to the "financial advantages" IEEE website pages, new applications are no longer being accepted for comprehensive medical insurance. Allegedly because of adverse-selection problems. Current policy holders will be kept onboard until the pool dwindles to 50 active policies. :rant:

There goes my IEEE membership. The only reason I joined was to have access to their insurance, in case we couldn't get coverage elsewhere.

Also, thanks for posting that. Unless I missed it, they didn't send me any kind of notice that the benefit was being eliminated.

jeff2006 said:
Current policy holders will be kept onboard until the pool dwindles to 50 active policies.

Yes, and your premium will probably be sky-high, since by the time the pool gets to 50, it will only be those people who can't transfer to another policy due to pre-existing conditions.

Baxter said:
There goes my IEEE membership. The only reason I joined was to have access to their insurance, in case we couldn't get coverage elsewhere.

Same here. That, and to get repeated solicitations for term life insurance !

Yeah, I looked into this 3 or 4 years ago, and I seem to recall that their group health insurance did not seem to me to be competitively priced at all. So I never joined.

Kramer

kramer said:
I seem to recall that their group health insurance did not seem to me to be competitively priced at all.

Well duh, that's because relatively healthy people like you (presumably) and I could
do better buying individual policies, leaving the unhealthy people in group plans like
this one and thereby driving up their premiums.

Back
Top Bottom