I'm Looking for a good cheap high deductible insurance plan

qwerty3656

Full time employment: Posting here.
Not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm about to retire and would like to make sure whatever health plan I get qualifies for an HSA account. It would be for my wife, my son, and I. Right now I'm covered by my company.

Edit: We live in Michigan (Monroe county). My plan is to not have a lot of income (most of my money is in a Roth). When I went to the ACA website it said the only thing I qualified for was Medicaid?

Last edited:
Man the title of this thread as seen in the main list view is "looking for a good cheap high" and I predict many clicks.

Anyway, the answer is go to to Healthcare.gov, enter your info, and see what you get, for options for 2021 coverage. It is a different result for everyone based largely on your zip code, county, income. Everyone is going to have something different unless they are your neighbor.

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm about to retire and would like to make sure whatever health plan I get qualifies for an HSA account. It would be for my wife, my son, and I. Right now I'm covered by my company.

What state do you live in? What county do you live in? Those are the main things you need to first identify.

Your state either participates in the Federal healthcare exchange or has it's own healthcare exchange. The Federal is found at healthcare.gov. If your state has its own exchange, it will have its own website that you will have to locate.

Using those websites, you can input your zipcode/county, age, gender, smoker status and your estimated income for 2021 and it will spit out all the insurance companies AND their plans that you can purchase through the exchange. It is currently open season for health insurance for 2021. If you aren't looking to start your plan on 1/1/2021, you can do the search up to 60 days prior to your need for insurance. But you can still research your options by indicating you want to start 1/1/2021. If your income is low enough, the exchange may indicate you qualify for a subsidy of your insurance premium, thereby reducing the price you pay each month.

In addition to purchasing off of the exchange website, you can also just call or use web searches for companies that will sell insurance to you. Not all companies will sell insurance in all states and/or counties. It's very much done at the zipcode/county level. If you qualify for a subsidy, you MUST purchase the policy via the exchange to get it. But if you don't qualify for a subsidy, you may find more providers and plans outside the exchange. But they may also be more expensive.

Insurance plans will be clearly labeled as HSA compliant or not. And the exchanges allow you to filter out those that aren't if you wish to do so.

Insurance available for me to buy in rural northwest PA will not be the same insurance you can buy in urban Phoenix, AZ.

Last edited:
Man the title of this thread as seen in the main list view is "looking for a good cheap high" and I predict many clicks.

Anyway, the answer is go to to Healthcare.gov, enter your info, and see what you get, for options for 2021 coverage. It is a different result for everyone based largely on your zip code, county, income. Everyone is going to have something different unless they are your neighbor.

I'm in the market for a decent, lightly-used hot air balloon, so following this thread with great interest.

While you'll eventually have to go to healthcare.gov, healthsherpa.com is a good place to start as it is a little more user friendly.

I moved the thread to the Health forum where it may get more views regarding the thread subject.

When I went to the ACA website it said the only thing I qualified for was Medicaid?

So this is what pretty much happened to me: not enough projected income to qualify for ACA - kicked off to Medicaid. It has its challenges (mainly, smaller networks and fairly crowded waiting rooms) but I kind of love not spending anything on healthcare and the doctors - once you find them - are as good as any.

If you don't want to be on it, you can "estimate" your income as slightly higher than the threshold and you'll qualify for ACA. You may a get refund later when doing your taxes. Repeat every year.

I was about to post something similar... I run a recovery community center, OP. We are here when you decide you need help. ;)

Back
Top Bottom