Medigap Plan G high deductible

a60dan

Recycles dryer sheets
Just want to clarify my understanding.

Medicare has deductibles for Part A & B that I must pay before any Medicare plan G HD coverage kicks in.

After Medicare deductible is met, I must pay 20% coinsurance for part B

When the amount I’ve paid in total reaches $2800 (for 2024), my Plan G pays everything else as long as the provider participates in Medicare.

I’m leaning toward community rated plans (all pay same premium) or issue age plans (premiums not increased solely due to age) from a company with a good history of rate increases.

Part D prescription coverage is a separate topic.

Have I missed anything?

Did you check out Plan N? High deductible G is great when you’re healthy, but not so much if you develop a chronic problem or disease. Get sick late in the year and you can be hit with deductibles back to back. Plus the deductible increases each year.

Yes.

N: $431 /month

G: $404/month

G: HD $71/month community rated too

Yes.

N: $431 /month

G: $404/month

G: HD $71/month community rated too
Wow, that makes no sense since Plan G covers more. I’ve never heard of a Plan N being more expensive. I’d shop around. Our Plan N for both of us is only $244/month.

DH started with plan G around $108 just a few years ago. Your prices seem very high.

I’m guessing you don’t live in NY state?

I think it’s related to the fact that we are one of four states that prohibit underwriting on supplement plans. Even after initial enrollment, you can switch plans each year without medical questions……

Only 6 plans offered by Excellus. They clearly want to sell Medicare Advantage.

I checked my son’s zip code in Florida. They have 30 plans ��*♂️

I will continue my shopping in 2024 as I need to enroll in December.

Last edited:
I’m guessing you don’t live in NY state?

I think it’s related to the fact that we are one of four states that prohibit underwriting on supplement plans. Even after initial enrollment, you can switch plans each year without medical questions……

Only 6 plans offered by Excellus. They clearly want to sell Medicare Advantage.

I checked my son’s zip code in Florida. They have 30 plans ��*♂️

I will continue my shopping in 2024 as I need to enroll in December.

G-HD looks like a bargain. Probably the other folks in the pool are young and healthy. You can switch to G before leaving NY if you ever move, right?

G-HD looks like a bargain. Probably the other folks in the pool are young and healthy. You can switch to G before leaving NY if you ever move, right?

I think that we can only switch at open enrollment, but yes I could switch prior to moving.

I’d be locking in those high premiums.

From what I’ve learned over the years, community rating with diverse age groups have historically had the best premiums.

Medicare is new to me, so I still have more to learn.

I think that we can only switch at open enrollment, but yes I could switch prior to moving.

I’d be locking in those high premiums.

From what I’ve learned over the years, community rating with diverse age groups have historically had the best premiums.

Medicare is new to me, so I still have more to learn.

Although it depends on the insurance company you may just be able to continue the same supplement with a new rate after switching states. Of course, if you move anywhere outside NY that would likely be much lower.

Back
Top Bottom