Inogen portable oxygen concentrator

Tetto

Recycles dryer sheets
Good Morning All- looking for real world experience with the Inogen G4 or G5 oxygen concentrator. My dad is in O2 all the time now and when we bring him to doctor visits or he goes to dinner at his assisted living facility, he uses bottles which is a MAJOR PIA!!! Do any folks currently use the Inogen and how do you like it? What liters/minute do you use as well- he is at 4 continuous.

I didn't think that the portable units are designed for continuous operation.

MY DM was on oxygen the last few months of her life and we had the large concentrator in the living room, along with the tall bottles that were for mobile use.

You might want to bring it up with his doctor if you accompany him to the appointments. I suspect that Inogen will require an Rx from a doctor.

-gauss

Last edited:
MIL used a large concentrator for home use. For portability, she started out with an O2 bottle. Eventually, she replaced the bottle with an Inogen (don't recall which model) . Her level of O2 ended up at 4lpm (continuous flow). The batteries did not last very long when working at that O2 level. Certainly, much less than advertised in the big print. To save battery power, every chance she had, it had to be plugged into the car or an outlet.

MIL used a large concentrator for home use. For portability, she started out with an O2 bottle. Eventually, she replaced the bottle with an Inogen (don't recall which model) . Her level of O2 ended up at 4lpm (continuous flow). The batteries did not last very long when working at that O2 level. Certainly, much less than advertised in the big print. To save battery power, every chance she had, it had to be plugged into the car or an outlet.

Thanks! Thats great intel; i thought that may be a problem at higher doses. They have a battery thats 13 hours of runtime, but i'm sure its in the fine print thats only at low dose levels where the machine isnt working hard.

I seem to remember someone here talking about using one of those and having 3 or 4 batteries so they could swap one out from time to time on trips.

I bought one for DW, and I bought the extra high capacity battery to swap out.

I ended up purchasing the Inogen G5, they had a special they were running and through in an extra 13 hour battery. I researched the pulse dose vs continuous and found from my dads pulmonologist that the G5 is a smart device and despite being 2 pulse dose machine, it’s settings are directly proportional to continuous flow. This is very cool. FAA, FDA approved and is designed to run 7 days a week 24 hours a day. It does however have a molecular sieve that need changing every 18 months to the tune of $114 each time. Not too bad for 90-96% pure O2 in such a small package.

DW has a G4 and we have several extra batteries. We also have a service agreement and I do the routine maintenance (catalyst replacement, filters, etc). She hates it but needs it when we go anywhere. We have had it 3 + years now and its a solid machine.

We also have a charge cord for the car and a separate battery charger for it.

In the house, we have a big floor model O2 generator that she is connected to 24/7/365.

DW has a G4 and we have several extra batteries. We also have a service agreement and I do the routine maintenance (catalyst replacement, filters, etc). She hates it but needs it when we go anywhere. We have had it 3 + years now and its a solid machine.

We also have a charge cord for the car and a separate battery charger for it.

In the house, we have a big floor model O2 generator that she is connected to 24/7/365.

My dad has the same setup, but now he will be able to use the small device and keep the long lines in the bedroom. This is all he’ll need all day long. My fingers are crossed that his blood O2 number is up where it needs to be on this thing.

My dad has the same setup, but now he will be able to use the small device and keep the long lines in the bedroom. This is all he’ll need all day long. My fingers are crossed that his blood O2 number is up where it needs to be on this thing.

No problem with the Inogen units as they are top of the line. My DW's O2 is always ~95%+ with the unit on and that is on level 3. She rarely uses level 4.You can do a simple finger test to check his blood O2 levels.

The Inogen units have an estimated run life of 20,000 hours. But understand that they do need maintenance and the catalyst beds last about a year (heavy use). You will get an error message on the screen when the beds need changing. Clean the case filters every time they dust up (pretty simple). There is also internal filters that should be replaced from time to time. Read the manual!

Last edited:
No problem with the Inogen units as they are top of the line. My DW's O2 is always ~95%+ with the unit on and that is on level 3. She rarely uses level 4.You can do a simple finger test to check his blood O2 levels.

The Inogen units have an estimated run life of 20,000 hours. But understand that they do need maintenance and the catalyst beds last about a year (heavy use). You will get an error message on the screen when the beds need changing. Clean the case filters every time they dust up (pretty simple). There is also internal filters that should be replaced from time to time. Read the manual!

Thanks! Yes I’ll figure it out. The cat beds seem pretty cheap considering what they do. For this unit apparently it takes two- $114 every ~18 months. Not too shabby.

I have no idea on the cost of oxygen bottles, but $114 x 2 every 18 months seems a whole lot less than what the total cost for many (hundreds?) of oxygen bottles.

My Mom used an Inogen G3 for the last few years before she passed away. It was rock solid and the company seemed like a quality outfit as well.

I ended up purchasing the Inogen G5, they had a special they were running and through in an extra 13 hour battery. I researched the pulse dose vs continuous and found from my dads pulmonologist that the G5 is a smart device and despite being 2 pulse dose machine, it’s settings are directly proportional to continuous flow. This is very cool. FAA, FDA approved and is designed to run 7 days a week 24 hours a day. It does however have a molecular sieve that need changing every 18 months to the tune of $114 each time. Not too bad for 90-96% pure O2 in such a small package.

Can I ask where/how you purchased it and if a doctors order was required? My mom is on her 2nd year with a big stationary unit for home use with rechargeable portable bottles that only last an hour or so. They take a while to recharge so she doesn’t really use them the way she is supposed to when she is not in her apartment. I wanted to just buy a portable Inogen unit but her current oxygen supplier said they’d need some kind of additional Dr order. But, my mom is on Medicare which is covering her stationary machine and I didn’t want to do anything to mess up that coverage.

But I would love to just buy her a G5 out of pocket, for my own peace of mind that she’s not going to “run out” of O2 and then try to do errands with no oxygen (because that’s what she does with the little bottle currently— she lugs it around unused in case she “really needs it”.) Which is not the intent! With a portable machine my hope would be that she’d actually use it as intended.

(Edited for spelling and clarity.)

Last edited:
Thanks! Thats great intel; i thought that may be a problem at higher doses. They have a battery thats 13 hours of runtime, but i'm sure its in the fine print thats only at low dose levels where the machine isnt working hard.

Yep. Per their web site:

The Inogen One G5 delivers medical grade oxygen on the go. Weighing 5.7 lbs and providing up to 13 hours of battery power*,
Then, following the asterisk:

* With a double battery and on a flow setting of 1

Still, swapping out batteries is probably a lot easier than carrying around a tank.

Can I ask where/how you purchased it and if a doctors order was required? My mom is on her 2nd year with a big stationary unit for home use with rechargeable portable bottles that only last an hour or so. They take a while to recharge so she doesn’t really use them the way she is supposed to when she is not in her apartment. I wanted to just buy a portable Inogen unit but her current oxygen supplier said they’d need some kind of additional Dr order. But, my mom is on Medicare which is covering her stationary machine and I didn’t want to do anything to mess up that coverage.

But I would love to just buy her a G5 out of pocket, for my own peace of mind that she’s not going to “run out” of O2 and then try to do errands with no oxygen (because that’s what she does with the little bottle currently— she lugs it around unused in case she “really needs it”.) Which is not the intent! With a portable machine my hope would be that she’d actually use it as intended.

(Edited for spelling and clarity.)

Hi Zona- yes I purchased directly from Inogen. They were running a special yesterday, the G5 with 13 hour battery and a free second battery for $3079. Carry bag included. Your moms experience is identical to my fathers; the bottles are ridiculous and so risky if they run out prematurely. I’m hoping this little device lives up to its name, if so, it’ll be a game changer for my father.

I got on a bug a while back to find out how Oxygen concentrators work.
I found they send filtered, compressed air (20psi) into a bed of Zeolite that adsorbs nitrogen, the oxygen is free to be sent to a small storage tank for patient use. There are two Zeolite beds they get alternately used about every 20 seconds, when not in use, the Zeolite bed is releasing the stored nitrogen into the air to be is ready for the next cycle. Pretty Cool!

https://bmet.ewh.org/bitstream/hand...or Packetby EWH V2.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y

Could you update us if they end up requiring a doctors prescription and how they handle it (ie their doctors prescribe vs your doctor and if your doctor, do they work with them directly or is it on you to obtain the Rx).

Thanks
-gauss

Could you update us if they end up requiring a doctors prescription and how they handle it (ie their doctors prescribe vs your doctor and if your doctor, do they work with them directly or is it on you to obtain the Rx).

Thanks
-gauss

They do require a prescription- but they (Inogen) handle the whole thing. They have a database and reach out to the prescribing doc through their system, and its super fast to get the prescription. In my case, it was literally less than five minutes.

BTW, we bought two used batteries from a supplier on eBay years ago and they have been great and hold a charge as good as the ones that came with our unit. I recall paying $75 for the small capacity battery and $125 for the high capacity one.

We keep a spare (charged) battery in each car glove compartment as a resource when we are out. DW had a longer than expected doctor's appointment and the spare came in handy. We have needed the spares several times when out.

We also have a lifetime service agreement for maintenance and repair with this facility. We have had great service when DW's concentrator lost it's compressor. They also send us catalysts when needed.

https://store.mainclinicsupply.com/

They do require a prescription- but they (Inogen) handle the whole thing. They have a database and reach out to the prescribing doc through their system, and its super fast to get the prescription. In my case, it was literally less than five minutes.

Thanks so much Tetto and everyone in this thread for the great information! And Tetto, good luck to you and your father with the new concentrator, I hope it is much more convenient for him than the bottles.

Thanks so much Tetto and everyone in this thread for the great information! And Tetto, good luck to you and your father with the new concentrator, I hope it is much more convenient for him than the bottles.

Happy to help!

BTW, we bought two used batteries from a supplier on eBay years ago and they have been great and hold a charge as good as the ones that came with our unit. I recall paying $75 for the small capacity battery and $125 for the high capacity one.

We keep a spare (charged) battery in each car glove compartment as a resource when we are out. DW had a longer than expected doctor's appointment and the spare came in handy. We have needed the spares several times when out.

We also have a lifetime service agreement for maintenance and repair with this facility. We have had great service when DW's concentrator lost it's compressor. They also send us catalysts when needed.

https://store.mainclinicsupply.com/

Since it came with a 3 year warranty, i didn't purchase the lifetime one...wondering if I should have now. We'll see how it does.

Back
Top Bottom