Insurance purchased medical equipment. After I'm done-now what?

FDC319

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

A couple years ago I had wrist surgery and received a bone stimulator (Exogen) to assist with healing. Insurance purchased it. I went through the treatment and used the bone stimulator up. Aprox 300 uses.

So now what do I do with it? I have seen various internet posts which say just throw it away. Any experiences here?

Throwing it away seems like a waste, but I'm moving soon and looking to cut the junk.

After my FIL died we had an expensive electric wheel chair to re-home. I tried advertising it but you can't sell what people get for free. I finally just gave it away on Craigslist.

Last edited:
Thanks. If what I had was still useful for others I would likely give it away.

I'm leaning towards tossing this thing, but don't want to get bit by some obscure insurance bill later on.

At least your insurance paid for it...

My DW just got a total knee replacement... we had to buy her a walker to use for a week or two (renting cost the same as buying) and rent a machine for moving her leg to get motion into it... insurance did not cover..

Also, the Dr want her to have 21 days of a blood thinner injection... insurance pays 7...

PLUS, they do not cover the pain pills either :mad:

Now, she did get a pain med pump that was from the hospital... they gave us a box to send it back...

I'm leaning towards tossing this thing, but don't want to get bit by some obscure insurance bill later on.

Ask the insurance company to be sure, but when my Dad had something similar for a broken humerus they didn't want it back. I took it to an e-waste recycling drop off for him.

A question... how much did it cost?

It really does not matter as it is the current value that is important.... just curious...

I had some calf compression things put on my legs during colonoscopy that they tried to charge insurance $1200... insurance refused to pay... they never tried to get the money from me... I kept them and we used them on my DW... hospital had recommended something but would not give us anything or an order...

If you use Facebook, or know someone who does, you might have a local group that allows people to ask for what they need for free and for people to give things for free. Our board is tightly moderated to watch for any funny business going on (what might look like someone getting stuff to resell) and helps those in immediate need or they have some off the wall request that someone might have sitting in their garage.

A question... how much did it cost?

It was free to me through Tricare. Looking at the EOB, I wouldn't pay that much.

From the EOB:
Provider billed $4950.00
Allowed amount $2911.07
Other insurance paid $0.00
TRICARE paid $2911.07
Patient paid $0.00

I swear, I'll never fully understand the medical insurance side.

I have seen posts from American legions where they get equipment from people and distribut to others in need.

Back
Top Bottom