It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super cool on joining Curves, Fireup--I joined once before, but just didn't want "it" bad enough to go as often as I should have, but it is a good start to getting into shape.
Dangermouse, some weeks it is the not-gaining that matters--I've hit some major plateaus over the last six months and understand! Weight training is awesome, and makes me feel strong! :)
ESRBob, that is awesome, but you shouldn't have starved to reach it--not that I won't do the same thing when I get a couple of pounds closer to goal weight. :)

I wanted to share my experience with the Bod Pod body fat/body composition testing done on Friday.

We had the test done at The Citadel here in Charleston, for $40 each. You need to have a tight-fitting lycra bathing suit, they provide a swim cap. Men can borrow their lycra shorts for the test. It started with height & weight check (did I get shorter?) and then the machine is calibrated before you enter. Those of you old enough to remember Mork and Mindy--the egg looks just like the one Robin Williams had! It takes 3 minutes inside the egg (which has a big window, so no claustraphobia).

The results were interesting: I purchased digital calipers to test with originally, which our trainer used to test us. The calipers registered a 30% BF for me, and the Bod Pod registered the same 30% BF. But on my husband (who has chicken legs that must have "thrown off" the 3 site skinfold test), the calipers had registered a hard-to-believe 13%. The Bod Pod registered 18%BF for him, a more believable number.

We will do a follow up in 6 months, hoping to drop 5% in that time. It was worthwhile to have a proper benchmark from which to operate--not unlike knowing your starting weight and then measuring as you lose weight. The science is much more appealing than the simplistic BMI numbers, which don't account for how much lean v/s fat you have.

Sarah

Fireup, how are your workouts going at Curves? Are you enjoying them?

Bob, how long did it take you to lose your weight?

Sarah, you've made me want to look into getting some body fat testing done as it sounds fascinating. Not sure if I could cope with the number though. My scales tell me my body fat is about 32%, even though my BMI is in an acceptable range.

I'm now down about 6.5lbs which is pleasing. I hit my first target, a month behind schedule but the main thing is I hit it. I have another 11 lbs to go to my next target, and 3 months to do it, which seems realistic.

Sarah-- congrats on the new outfits and keep having fun with the calipers. My scale gives me a number but since it doesn't change much I don't pay much attention to it.

Dangermouse -- took me about 3 months to lose 9-10 pounds. I'm not sure if that is normal or not but that was my progress, once winter ended and my bad back let me get out and do more exercise. I do think the warm weather really helps me eat lighter and keep it off.

Had another weigh-in this morning holding stable at my 179 point something which means the last reading was not a fluke, and I'm going to get down there to my Met Life number this summer for sure (175) :bat:.

I do have a lingering sense of loss, though, for all the nibbling I might want to do. It reminds me a little bit of LBYM -- you could buy stuff, but you realize you shouldn't or can't if you're going to keep to your budget. I could eat stuff and really enjoy it, but I have this calorie budget to keep to... I hope that doesn't sound really depressing! In the same way FI can be liberating, I hope to find the 'zen' of sensible eating and keep the weight off without having it feel like a huge sacrifice...

Hmmm..... frustration here....
Just went to check the MetLife tables again to see my goal (6'1, Medium Frame, 174 lbs is the high end of my range). Then I notice the footnote at the bottom that this number assumes you're wearing 5 lbs of clothes, too! I can get from my current 179 to 174 at my current rate, but I don't know if I can go another 5 pounds after that to cover clothes. That would be downright gaunt... Anybody else having 'issues' with the MetLife tables?

Bob, that is why I went to the body fat % as a gauge of health--the weight is just so subjective, especially now that I am doing a lot more resistance training and weight training in addition to the cardio. My focus is now on gaining lean muscle mass and losing body fat, which may not translate into "really skinny". I'm 147.5 today, BTW (naked)! My Met Life range is 133-147 lbs, assuming a medium frame and 3 lbs of clothing.

I also found your comments interesting about LBYM and dieting--I've seen that when I applied the focus and intensity used in our financial goals to our nutrition/exercise goals, we have achieved much greater success. I see a lot of correlation between the commitment to LBYM/FIRE and the healthy lifestyle we are working so hard to make a reality. But you have to sacrifice to win, at, well, everything I've ever wanted. :)

Dangermouse, I would encourage you to benchmark your BF%, as it will give you something more than the scale by which to judge your progress. Plus you can calculate all kind of cool stuff like your Resting Metabolic Rate (how many calories you use just by sitting there). Such a nerd--if I can put it on a spreadsheet--I am happy! But that allows you to fine tune your calories/nutrition to make the most of your fat loss. I have seen a remarkable difference in my muscle tone--like I actually have some now! I even have abs, albeit hidden below that pesky layer of fat for the moment!
And Dangermouse, you are doing great to keep going towards those goals and I believe that tracking your progress is very meaningful--I am about to finish my second daily calorie diary book, and as it is the only sort of journaling I've ever done, it is cool to thumb through for some recycled menu ideas. One pound a week is very realistic, with a calorie deficit of about 500 calories each day you should have no trouble getting there!

Dangermouse,

The workouts at Curves have exceeded my expectations. Having lifted, benched, cardioed with the Navy over the years...and even dabbled with kickboxing classes, aerobic, etc... I was a little concerned. (location, however was key!) But, I can feel the proverbial burn during the workouts - but I do push myself, and since my fitness level was not too low, I am authorized to do an extra "lap" through the machines. They only measure you once a month, so I'll get that in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see. I have been going 4x per week - and have noticed a difference...probably just in mental outlook with regard to fitness in general!

Keep chargin' all! Congrats on the accomplishments!

Hmmm..... frustration here....
Just went to check the MetLife tables again to see my goal (6'1, Medium Frame, 174 lbs is the high end of my range). Then I notice the footnote at the bottom that this number assumes you're wearing 5 lbs of clothes, too! I can get from my current 179 to 174 at my current rate, but I don't know if I can go another 5 pounds after that to cover clothes. That would be downright gaunt... Anybody else having 'issues' with the MetLife tables?

Below is 6' and 173# (OK, 5'11 1/2":p). Heck, the ribs are already starting to show. I never felt those guidelines were very realistic.

img_523544_0_a062a426e4e0d3f66c2bfe12cc14b34f.jpg

Wow - I have not been at the low end of my height on the metlife table since 5th or 6th grade! (and while I have NEVER been ballerina skinny, I do not consider myself fat!) Looking at the men's tables, all that comes to mind is the stereotypical runner's physique...

I am pleased there are different body types out there ;) I prefer my man stockier than these tables consider "ideal" (but with no squishy gut!)

Dave,
Be honest -- are you sucking in your gut there? Even so, pretty darned good!
Who was it here who said "hunger is your friend' when it comes to losing weight. I think about that about 50 times a day now, it seems. Oh well, slow and steady. I count my successes in the number of times I take out the cookies to plop down in front of the TV or computer... and then decide not to eat them.... for now. Not as good as the actual cookies, but it's something...

Give credit to Trombone Al for the hunger is my friend mantra...I've been repeating it myself lately, especially as the minutes before lunch tick by...
I have taken to keeping grapes in the fridge at all times, so when I want to stand there and gaze into the depths, I can eat a couple and feel better about not making those other choices. And what are you doing with cookies in the house? :)

Looks like we have our picture for February for the Hunks of the ER Forum Calendar.

OMG Dave you look so skinny. Surely you are not trying to lose any more. I'll have to check out those metlife tables though I am sure they will only make me feel like a fat blob.

I may have found the 'loophole' for the MetLife tables that I was seeking: since the tables assume not only that you are wearing 5 lbs of clothes, but (more fine print) that you are wearing 1 inch heel shoes, you can at least bump yourself up to an inch higher than your real height and read your ideal weight there. It may not be 5 lbs more than the number at your actual height, but it's something. In my case, I got an extra 4 ideal pounds, so bottom line is its just about a wash. Use real height and the weight they publish next to it and forget the 5 pounds of clothes, or do the more complicated math.

Or better yet forget the whole thing and enjoy dinner.. It's the weekend for heavens sake! (It's all starting to sound a bit like SWR debates -- and I'm getting the same reaction, which is that I'll never be perfectly safe, just like I'll never be perfectly thin).

And yes, I do have cookies in the house -- heart-healthy Trader Joe's Triple Ginger -- otherwise life might not be worth being thin and surviving for!

It has been a while since I visited this thread - I have been missing some good feedback. I have just been on the Metlife tables site.

The medical book we have used for over 25 years has my weight range as 152 - 190 for a 6' 1" male. I did wonder if there was a better target taking into account frame and age.

4 years ago at age 48 I reached 210 and did weight watcher's at work and lost 40lbs over 9 months to get to 170. I float up and then have to journal a few weeks to get back down but I have pretty well managed to stay in the 170 - 175 range. I'm journaling at present after 2 months of business travel overseas and a vacation to get back down from 181. This morning I was at 174.5 after 4 weeks effort.

I always thought that 170 was my ideal weight, but I have just done the metlife frame measurement and come out as Large Frame which means the bottom of my range would be 172 which seems silly as I certainly don't look emaciated. Lean and mean, perhaps :rolleyes: , but skin and bones certainly not.

I do exercise a lot - gymn, fitness classes, cycling and playing tennis, and I still feel it hard work to keep the weight off. Years ago I watched an interview with a health advisor who said something similar to what Al mentioned. "For me, feeling slightly hungry all the time is reassurance that I am eating just enough".

Alan,
Well done taking off all those pounds and keeping them off. Journalling? What is that --- just keeping track of everything you eat? It sounds as though you're doing all the right things to keep your weight in line, and it doesn't sound as though it has been easy. (I'm sure I wouldn't look emaciated at my MetLife weight, either, but it just feels good to complain a bit here! ;-)

Bob, I use a Corinne Netzer Dieter's Diary, a small spiral bound notebook that also includes a small calorie counter in the back. I'm on my second 16 week book now. I recommend it as it is more formal than a legal pad, but still pretty simple. I also log my weight and calories every day at traineo.com.
Alan is doing what all succesful (that I've read about) losers do--keep accountable. Congrats on doing what it takes to keep fit! I worry a lot about how hard maintenance will be for us in the long run.

Bob,

In the Weight Watcher program you get a little calculator to figure a "point" value for everything you eat which is actually so easy that you quickly good at estimating things even without the calculator at hand. Its 50 cals per pt + little bit extra for fat content minus a little bit for fiber content.

eg if something is 200 cals, 0 fat, 0 fiber it is 4 pts. 200 cals, 10g of fat, 4g of fiber and it is still 4pts. 200 cals, 0 fat, 4g fibre is 3 pts.

You also get a booklet where you can look up most every food. Just about all veggies are 0 points.

Fruits vary, eg small apple = 1 pt, banana = 2pts etc

You then have a weekly target of total points depending how heavy you are. The heavy you are the larger the allowance. For 175lb my target is 24 pts / day plus a floating 35 points which really equates to 31 pts /day on average. It means you can be good during the week, saving up your points for exuberance at the weekend. For me I like to walk down to the pub from work on a Friday afternoon and a few pints (20 oz glasses) of ale with some friends from work and walk home (4 miles).

It is not really a diet in that there are no banned foods. You just simply record everthing you eat. I use my diary I carry around with me for work but you could carry a small notebook. If I fancy a doughnut, no problems, but that is going to cost me 6 pts (25% of my daily allowance).

The program just takes discipline. If you can be disciplined enough to manage a household budget, you can be disciplined enough to manage a "point" budget.

The first 6 months of doing WW I journaled all the time, but since then (3 or 4 years now) I only journal when I get beyond my target weight range which usually happens after lots of business travel where I find it really hard to eat well and exercise

not much different to calorie counting I suppose

Alan,
I like it -- especially the part about walking down to the pub for a few pints with friends! I lived in England for a few years back in my college days and enjoyed that aspect of the country very much.
I'll try to find a friend in WW and bum a spare copy of the points book off them. It seems like a good and simple system and allows me to postpone the inevitable: finally becoming a calorie counter.
Sarah, I may end up with one of the Corrinne Netzer books if my WW friends don't come through. (Just being cheap...)

Bob,

I moved from England 20 years ago and walking down to the pub is one of the things I have missed. In December last year an Irish pub AND an English pub opened up right next to our offices. The guys and gals in the office didn't need much persuading to adopt this Friday afternoon ritual.:)

If you have trouble getting a WW book I have a spare one. Feel free to send me a private message with your address and I'll mail it to you.

179 and change today -- no movement down, but no movement up, either! Could have been worse: DW has discovered an Irish Pub cookbook and is getting us all ready for our trip to Ireland this summer with recipes out of this book. Here's a hint: none of them are low-fat...

Alan -- Glad civliization has come to your neck of the woods in the form of a nice pub!

176 today - same as last week. I'm trying to lose the 9lb I put on over the last couple of months. Lost 5 so far in 4 weeks, 4 more to go.

I'm so glad you two guys picked up the posting--all my other weight loss friends here have fallen away! 147 today, it is true what they say about the last 5 lbs being the hardest! Just two pounds to go!
Ah, Irish food, I made some great colcannon for St. Pats this year--yum! And if only I had a hollow leg for the ale, that is the hardest part about keeping on the calorie routine--way less beer! But on a good note, I'm a cheaper date now that I've lost about 50 lbs! :) The nights of taking down a 12 pack are over, I guess!

I'm so glad you two guys picked up the posting--all my other weight loss friends here have fallen away! 147 today, it is true what they say about the last 5 lbs being the hardest! Just two pounds to go!
Ah, Irish food, I made some great colcannon for St. Pats this year--yum! And if only I had a hollow leg for the ale, that is the hardest part about keeping on the calorie routine--way less beer! But on a good note, I'm a cheaper date now that I've lost about 50 lbs! :) The nights of taking down a 12 pack are over, I guess!

Colcannon - not heard of that before. So, are you from Ireland?

During my WW effort lasting a whole year, I gave up beer altogether, but now that I am back in control I allow myself the Friday afternoon down the pub.

This pub is called The Gooses' Acre and is a one-off. It dates back to 1860's and went out of business in 2005. It was in County Cork and 2 Irish American entrepreneurs whole own several other pubs bought the name and all the bar fittings from the owner and have re-created it here in Texas.

Back from China for 2 weeks. Ate a lot of great food, but with walking the Great Wall and extra activity, I lost 2 pounds. Down to 213. I need to vacation more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom