It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
mclesters said:
Dude--you can get to that by the summer! And buy a new swimsuit! :D
Seriously, a bit of a stretch goal can help--I have set 150 by the end of April as my goal--that is 20# in 2 1/2 months. It helps you keep up the intensity! something to think about...
Sarah

Good idea in theory, but I have found once I lose the "easy" 10-15 pounds, I can "only" lose about 1-1.5 pounds a week from then on, in order to keep it off................and without 3 hours a day in the gym, which I don't have time for.

However, the karate classes I am taking are having an effect on me............I am DEAD when I get home................. :LOL:

DW and I started a “balanced diet” in mid-Jan. Also, I had pretty serious shoulder surgery 4 months ago. So, I’ve been working my way back to weightlifting. Anyway, I’ve lost 10 lbs. so far. Aiming for another 15-20.

The really great news is:
A. I’ve been able to stop taking the high blood pressure meds I’d taken for 3 yrs.
B. I’ve been able to stop the Avandia (diabetic) meds at night as well.
So, I hope to also be able to reduce the remaining diabetics meds I still take morning and night.

I’m feeling better than I have in years.

Being the lurker, I am, I’ve really enjoyed / looked forward to this thread each week.

191, down one.

FinanceDude said:
However, the karate classes I am taking are having an effect on me............I am DEAD when I get home................. :LOL:
You have to adjust your diet to account for the calories in those ibuprofen pills...

Take a look at the fitness threads on Raddr's board. Karate plus some weight training may be all you need, and then you can ignore the scales in favor of a waistline tape measure.

172 - still maintaining.

Someone did send me this gem on nutrition this week:

THE FINAL WORD ON NUTRITION

1. Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

3. Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

5. Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.

CONCLUSION : Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Ah, it's a plateau week for me - still 131. However, I see more muscle development, so I'm holding on to that as my theory for not losing this week.

Not to mention the fact that we had company this past weekend and ate out. Yikes!

Great job to everyone else!!

Went back and re-read Bill Phillips' book "Body for Life" this week. Not that I am intending to start such a drastic workout routine, but I did like the looks of his workout logs, so I plagiarized them.

I remember from weight training in college and the Corps that keeping logs back then was an easy way for me to track my progress. And since I'm getting older it will also help me remember what the heck I did last time I was in the gym.

I also recommend a book by Bill Pearl titled "Getting Stronger". Great section in there for the ladies. But the reason I recommend it is for the variety of workout routines he offers. There must be three dozen at least. There is a entire section on sport specific workouts. Everything from the "Weekend Warrior", to the "Tri-athlete", to "First timer", or the "Golfer". BTW, that's him on the cover, at age 50. Don't know the lady but she's welcome to come to my gym anytime.

Another tip I took from "Body for Life" was taking body measurements. This might be an especially good motivator for the ladies. I have always had a huge chest. I graduated Parris Island with a 49 inch chest. I measured for a ballistic vest a few years ago and needed a 58. This morning it's down to a 56. I'll withhold the others for now, until I have some progress to post (pronounced = BRAG).

The saddest part of this is that I've had all this information and training since at least 1976 when I wrestled in college. I've just never applied it. I am hoping that better late than never applies here.

Lost 5 lbs. Down to 255.

l0 more pounds to go before I can resume my duties as an "underware model".

retiredbop said:
Went back and re-read Bill Phillips' book "Body for Life" this week. Not that I am intending to start such a drastic workout routine, but I did like the looks of his workout logs, so I plagiarized them.

I remember from weight training in college and the Corps that keeping logs back then was an easy way for me to track my progress. And since I'm getting older it will also help me remember what the heck I did last time I was in the gym.

I also recommend a book by Bill Pearl titled "Getting Stronger". Great section in there for the ladies. But the reason I recommend it is for the variety of workout routines he offers. There must be three dozen at least. There is a entire section on sport specific workouts. Everything from the "Weekend Warrior", to the "Tri-athlete", to "First timer", or the "Golfer". BTW, that's him on the cover, at age 50. Don't know the lady but she's welcome to come to my gym anytime.

Another tip I took from "Body for Life" was taking body measurements. This might be an especially good motivator for the ladies. I have always had a huge chest. I graduated Parris Island with a 49 inch chest. I measured for a ballistic vest a few years ago and needed a 58. This morning it's down to a 56. I'll withhold the others for now, until I have some progress to post (pronounced = BRAG).

The saddest part of this is that I've had all this information and training since at least 1976 when I wrestled in college. I've just never applied it. I am hoping that better late than never applies here.

Interesting article on this very subject:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16713130/

As a result, when it comes to making decisions about their health, boomers sometimes think that if they delay doing something, a better solution might come along. At the other end of the spectrum, there are those who hop on the Internet to learn everything about their symptoms and possible treatments, thinking they can out-research their doctors or find the latest alternative cure. Either way they end up putting off taking action.

Nords said:
191, down one.
You have to adjust your diet to account for the calories in those ibuprofen pills...

Take a look at the fitness threads on Raddr's board. Karate plus some weight training may be all you need, and then you can ignore the scales in favor of a waistline tape measure.

Anyone who thinks karate isn't a workput needs to try it........... :LOL: :LOL: However, I am sure once my conditioning and skills improve, I'll begin to feel better. The instructor said I will be ready to test for my gold belt in about another 6 weeks...........hey, it's a start. Half the guys in my adult class are black belts, and are very helpful with tips on techniques and things.......... :D

HaHa said:
Lots of big people on this board. I wonder if the ability to get high salaries and save a lot of money is correlated with mass?

Ha

:D :D :D

Ha: My father had 8 children. 4 boys and 4 girls.

My youngest brother is 6'7, other one 6'5, and two of us 6'6.
My dad (the logger) was 6'4.

Don't know about your theory, but I know that even though my father had his hands full providing the basic essentials, my sisters when they started dating, were treated with great respect. :D

i'm down 3 pounds but my hair is still grey. i'm taking it for granted that once i reach my desired weight my hair will darken and the crows feet laugh lines will disappear from alongside my eyes. any other improvements will probably require surgery.

Jarhead* said:
:D :D :D

Ha: My father had 8 children. 4 boys and 4 girls.

My youngest brother is 6'7, other one 6'5, and two of us 6'6.
My dad (the logger) was 6'4.

Don't know about your theory, but I know that even though my father had his hands full providing the basic essentials, my sisters when they started dating, were treated with great respect. :D

Wow. This little 6'2" guy will keep that in mind and watch his tongue! I have no idea what height any of my friends are who are shorter than me, since most are, but every one that is taller I know their exact height, because I always commented "Wow! How tall are you?". I'm not too unhappy with my height, except that some compact cars are uncomfortable.

Laurence said:
Wow. This little 6'2" guy will keep that in mind and watch his tongue! I have no idea what height any of my friends are who are shorter than me, since most are, but every one that is taller I know their exact height, because I always commented "Wow! How tall are you?". I'm not too unhappy with my height, except that some compact cars are uncomfortable.

Boy, can I relate to that. At 6'2" I'm not in the habit of looking up at too many folks. And I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 because I need the room. But maybe that will change.

Another good week for me. Down 5 lbs! Tipped the scales at 330 this morning. The workouts are feeling great, and I'm at week five. A couple more weeks and they will have become habit. (Everybody says it takes 6 weeks to get a habit to set. I'm allowing a couple extra 'cause I'm thick headed.) Soon I'll be able to use the digital scale with the body fat readout. That stops at 330, so I'm waiting another week or two to cover any discrepancy between the two scales.

Looking forward to a good week for everyone. Hang in there folks. Remember, y'all had a lot less to lose than me, so it's going take a little more time.

simple girl said:
Ah, it's a plateau week for me - still 131. However, I see more muscle development, so I'm holding on to that as my theory for not losing this week.

Not to mention the fact that we had company this past weekend and ate out. Yikes!

Great job to everyone else!!

Still at 131. That's 2 weeks in a row with no weight loss :( Oh well, gotta just keep at it.

TargaDave said:
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.

TargaDave said:
1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :p

TargaDave said:
1/31/07 191.5#

TargaDave said:
2/07/07 189# (3 day splurge in the Yucatan but worth it; next 10# are the tough ones for me)

TargaDave said:
2/14/07 185.5# (caught a bug from DD so 3 days sick in bed; not a fun way to loose weight)

2/21/07 182.5#

Some issues at home kept me from concentrating this past week...but... I didn't gain so that's good.

simple girl said:
Still at 131. That's 2 weeks in a row with no weight loss :( Oh well, gotta just keep at it.
You're probably building denser muscle while losing fat, so you might not lose for a month or two. Depending on your workouts you could even gain weight.

Switch to a measuring tape for a while. It's a lot more satisfying...

Nords said:
You're probably building denser muscle while losing fat, so you might not lose for a month or two. Depending on your workouts you could even gain weight.

Switch to a measuring tape for a while. It's a lot more satisfying...

Great idea. My pants are fitting better so I'm sure you are right.

I also was thinking of maybe purchasing calipers for measuring body fat%. Anyone else try this?

Thanks for the encouragement!

5'10 195# - Actually gained 1 lb this week. I think mostly because I've been able to start weight lifting again (very lite, because of shoulder).

I feel great and pants fit better. DW is kicking butt. She's down to #129.5.

Anyway, a good week for us.

Good luck everyone.

Plateaued again..........231............ :p

Maybe all that visceral fat is turning to muscle, which is denser than fat. Well.........that's my story, and I'm sticking to it............ :LOL:

Just one pound lighter, at 171. But I've been up and down this past week.
We had to take the weekend off from the gym--totally overdid the legs with the trainer (a lot of lunges, too) on Thursday and thought on Friday that it would help loosen them up if I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 on the rowing machine--um, that would be a NO! I basically staggered around all weekend, dying! Started back Tuesday, but had CHOCOLATE CAKE last night for a friend's 40th birthday :p but boy was it good!

So back to starving and going to the gym every day!
I keep waffling on a new digital scale, but I do use the measuring tape each week--I see changes there even when I don't on the scale.

I bought some new workout clothes and I feel really self conscious about wearing stuff that fits instead of being all baggy. It's not like I'm wearing lycra stretch or anything! But I've gone from a size 18 to 12, and I feel weird wearing anything that fits close. Maybe I'll get over this soon.
Sarah

mclesters said:
Just one pound lighter, at 171. But I've been up and down this past week.
We had to take the weekend off from the gym--totally overdid the legs with the trainer (a lot of lunges, too) on Thursday and thought on Friday that it would help loosen them up if I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical and 15 on the rowing machine--um, that would be a NO! I basically staggered around all weekend, dying! Started back Tuesday, but had CHOCOLATE CAKE last night for a friend's 40th birthday :p but boy was it good!

So back to starving and going to the gym every day!
I keep waffling on a new digital scale, but I do use the measuring tape each week--I see changes there even when I don't on the scale.

I bought some new workout clothes and I feel really self conscious about wearing stuff that fits instead of being all baggy. It's not like I'm wearing lycra stretch or anything! But I've gone from a size 18 to 12, and I feel weird wearing anything that fits close. Maybe I'll get over this soon.
Sarah

Just keep going. Those new clothes will be baggy soon.... ;)

SecondCor521 said:
I'm at 198.8 today. I have started weighing myself same time, same place, same scale, same time of day, same clothing, and am Excel charting myself. The upper left corner of my chart is 200# and the first day of my weight tracking, the lower right corner is 175# and the week before my 20 year high school reunion ;-).

I'm at 196.8 today. I was at 196.0 two days ago but I know that the vagaries of my digital scale and my digestive tract can account for a pound or two either way. Long term trend (if you can call a week long term) is down and to the right.

2Cor521

I forgot that it was Wednesday weigh-in yesterday and did not weigh myself. It was probably my subconscious, since I gained 2 lbs and no, mine is not muscle, since I have not been exercising and I went out to eat 3 times this week. Gotta try harder next week!

TargaDave said:
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.

TargaDave said:
1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :p

TargaDave said:
1/31/07 191.5#

TargaDave said:
2/07/07 189# (3 day splurge in the Yucatan but worth it; next 10# are the tough ones for me)

TargaDave said:
2/14/07 185.5# (caught a bug from DD so 3 days sick in bed; not a fun way to loose weight)

TargaDave said:
2/21/07 182.5#

2/28/07 180.5#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom