Job layoff (i.e. retirement) leads to heart attacks

Does it seem unlikely to you that layoffs are likely to cause stress? Certainly some people in some situations will be more able to handle this than others, but I do not think it is controversial that a layoff is a major stressor, especially if it is not totally clear that one will be picked up again soon.

Ha

I'm not sure your subject title follows. For sure, people who *need* jobs are stressed about layoffs and the threat of layoffs. I'm not sure that means those who are able and ready to retire if they get laid off would be affected similarly.

I know if I were getting ready to retire, there's nothing I'd like more than a pink slip and a fat severance package.

I'm not sure your subject title follows. For sure, people who *need* jobs are stressed about layoffs and the threat of layoffs. I'm not sure that means those who are able and ready to retire if they get laid off would be affected similarly.

I know if I were getting ready to retire, there's nothing I'd like more than a pink slip and a fat severance package.

Frank sure was happy to get his yesterday (well, the pink slip, and the fat severance pay and retention bonus should follow in a couple of weeks I guess). Much to my amusement, he showed me the actual "pink slip" and it really was pink colored! :ROFLMAO: I had never seen one before.

In his case, I think retirement will result in far less stress and a healthier lifestyle.

Much to my amusement, he showed me the actual "pink slip" and it really was pink colored!

In his case, I think retirement will result in far less stress and a healthier lifestyle.
Wow. Retired one day and you are already seeing an entirely different Frank: :D

Attachments

• pink slip.jpg
    pink slip.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 6
ROFL!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO: Well actually, it was a pink slip of PAPER... Frank and I do have a lot of fun and recreation ahead. :)

Wow. Retired one day and you are already seeing an entirely different Frank: :D

Now, that's the sort of pink slip I like to see.

A few months ago we were talking around the coffee pot at work and one of the guys was telling the story of a friend who had just been to a big meeting where the company announced many lay-offs and apparently one guy, only 1 year away from retirement, collapsed with a heart attack right there and then.

He didn't die, and it wasn't clear how his lay-off would have affected his DB pension - but his heart didn't wait to hear the details.

As a contractor, lay-offs are part of the life.

I am a lot better prepared than the staff stiffs who have turned me down for jobs saying, "You've had too many jobs." Welcome to the deep end, boys.

Is volunteer retirment stressful? From personal experience, I give you a resounding NO! vote.

Well, I dunno. You be the judge. I got up at 8:30, walked over to Trader Joe and had a little free coffee and bought some eggs. I came back and made ham and eggs. Then my dance partner came over and we danced tango for a couple hours. Then we walked a few blocks to an all day happy hour, had some nice ribs and a a glass of wine. Then she went home and I am sitting here letting my food digest before I bus downtown to buy some grass fed beef.

Pretty tough day so far, but I will endure. :)

When and if money tightness shows up, it gets more dicey.

Ha

Well, I dunno. You be the judge. I got up at 8:30, walked over to Trader Joe and had a little free coffee and bought some eggs. I came back and made ham and eggs. Then my dance partner came over and we danced tango for a couple hours. Then we walked a few blocks to an all day happy hour, had some nice ribs and a a glass of wine. Then she went home and I am sitting here letting my food digest before I bus downtown to buy some grass fed beef.
Yeah, that kind of stressful life is going to cause all kinds of heath problems. :)

Gee, I don't know. I would try to fit a nap in there sometime, to cut down on all the stress in that hectic schedule. :D

I am sitting here letting my food digest before I bus downtown to buy some grass

It looks like retirement has upped your risk tolerance?*

*Quoted material may not be 100% contextually accurate.

There are many things in life which affect stress levels of a person. One with composure knows how to deal with stress and anxiety at various stages; if that’s the case, lay off does not play havoc for those.

Back
Top Bottom