Just got my zoster vaccine

Pretty interesting that we give a vaccine for something that is already present in the body. That is, usually a vaccine is a killed or weakened organism, and it gives the body a chance to develop antibodies for the real thing.

But in this case, the real thing has been in the body for 40 years or so, and the body has already produced antibodies (i.e. you never get chickenpox again). So why doesn't the body already have resistance?

Today's Interesting Fact: The word "Vaccine" comes from "Vacca" or "Cow" -- one of the first vaccines was the administration of cow pox to prevent someone from getting smallpox. And that's why Rich has a cow in his avatar!

Al, immunity wanes over time. That's why this is a true "booster" situation. Otherwise the disease can grab hold and your immune system misses it, or gooses up too late to prevent the recurrence.

Rambler, yes you can get shingles again, and the immunization is useful even when you have had shingles in the past. I am not aware of evidence that a prior episode places you at risk for recurrent episodes but in my experience I would say yes.

Rich, are you positive about this? My dermatologist told me she has never seen a properly diagnosed second case of shingles in all her years of practice.

Shingles Prevention

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that adults 60 years of age and older get a single dose of the shingles vaccine (called Zostavax) even if they have had a prior episode of shingles.

DH is in a research study for a shingles vaccine--he got a shot a year ago and calls in each month to report any symptoms. He's sure he got the fake shot.

Husband was in the first study, he got the placebo. During the study he got a mild case of shingles. At the end he got the vaccine.

Interestingly, he was in the Seattle VA portion of the study even tho he was only in the AF Reserves way, way back when.

We're all going to die from the (new) swine flu anyway.

Swine flu symptoms:

1. Headache
2. Cough
3. Uncontrollable urge to make love in the mud.

My Dr. doesn't recommend the shot, also said you can get shingles from the shot. Is he correct?

Rich, are you positive about this? My dermatologist told me she has never seen a properly diagnosed second case of shingles in all her years of practice.
I disagree with your dermatologist, and have seen it from time to time. Perhaps she was talking about chicken pox, not shingles?

It was my general practioner, from what I remember he said you can get shingles from the shot, and you still can get shingles if you get the shot. If he's wrong I want the shot.

I recently asked my general practitioner about the shingles vaccine (at age 40) after seeing my MIL suffer through it. He recommended against it at this time, saying there was not enough information about how long it lasted and uncertainty about whether I would then need some kind of booster at age 60.

I did convince my mother to get the singles vaccine after my MIL's experience. Prior to that I honestly thought shingles was a thing of the past, like polio - shows what I know about medicine.

The singles vaccine is a whole 'nother thing! ;)

Thanks, Rich, for posting this. I had never heard of this vaccine and will be calling around to price it.

It is worth every penny to avoid that pain

I got my shot last yr at age 56 and paid full price as my ins. would not cover it. I took care of my mother who had 7 yrs. of misery and pain due to the shingles virus, which she got at age 69. She ended up bed-ridden and house bound because every step she took caused pain. Fortunately, she had excellent insurance coverage, as the medical bills and prescriptions ran into the $100,000's, but her last years (she died in 2006) were filled with Dr. appt's, surgeries for pain pumps, and spinal injections, countless drugs and one suicide attempt. Frankly, even mild cases of shingles are miserable from what I have seen...so it is worth every penny to avoid that pain and suffering.

I got my shot last yr at age 56 and paid full price as my ins. would not cover it. I took care of my mother who had 7 yrs. of misery and pain due to the shingles virus, which she got at age 69. She ended up bed-ridden and house bound because every step she took caused pain. Fortunately, she had excellent insurance coverage, as the medical bills and prescriptions ran into the $100,000's, but her last years (she died in 2006) were filled with Dr. appt's, surgeries for pain pumps, and spinal injections, countless drugs and one suicide attempt. Frankly, even mild cases of shingles are miserable from what I have seen...so it is worth every penny to avoid that pain and suffering.

Wow I had no idea it could get that bad. I know recently my wife worked with a lady who was out of work for about 7 months because of it. Geez I may look into getting it.

I tried to schedule a zoster shot but was told that since I'm not 60 yet I would need a dr's prescription. So I wait a month.

Husband was in the first study, he got the placebo. During the study he got a mild case of shingles. At the end he got the vaccine.

Interestingly, he was in the Seattle VA portion of the study even tho he was only in the AF Reserves way, way back when.

I'm currently in a study on the effectiveness of this shot for people between the ages of 50 and 60 (I'm 52). I got a shot but just not sure if I got the real thing or not. The study goes for another 6 months or so.

My mother got shingles about 2 years ago at the age of 85 and was in pain for months afterwards. Even now 2 years later she says that her scalp itches from it. She got it in an area on her face and scalp that if not caught in time could have caused blindness.

I mentioned this vaccine to my father about a year ago after having seen a friend who is about the same age suffer mightily with shingles a couple of years ago.

My father doesn't think he ever had chicken pox which makes me really wonder. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had chicken pox when I was about 5. It is one of my earliest memories - sitting in the bath miserable because of all the pustules. I don't see how my Dad would not have gotten sick at the time if he had not already had chicken pox. He doesn't remember my memory either. It would be my mother who would remember things like this - unfortunately she passed away a long time ago.

So - he can get tested to see if he has ever had chicken pox? I hate the idea of him contracting shingles. He will be 79 this month.

Audrey

My father doesn't think he ever had chicken pox which makes me really wonder. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had chicken pox when I was about 5.
Audrey

I believe that chicken pox is extremely contagious, but also that many cases are not clinically apparent. So it seems quite likely that your Father did have it, but it just was not noticeable.

Ha

I mentioned this vaccine to my father about a year ago after having seen a friend who is about the same age suffer mightily with shingles a couple of years ago.

My father doesn't think he ever had chicken pox which makes me really wonder. I'm pretty sure my sister and I had chicken pox when I was about 5. It is one of my earliest memories - sitting in the bath miserable because of all the pustules. I don't see how my Dad would not have gotten sick at the time if he had not already had chicken pox. He doesn't remember my memory either. It would be my mother who would remember things like this - unfortunately she passed away a long time ago.

So - he can get tested to see if he has ever had chicken pox? I hate the idea of him contracting shingles. He will be 79 this month.
Audrey, chicken pox can be so mild as to be unrecalled or nonevident. Virtually everyone our age and above has been exposed if you do random sampling, even among those with no recollection. It's so likely that the cost of testing is a waste. He had it.

My mother got shingles about 2 years ago at the age of 85 and was in pain for months afterwards. Even now 2 years later she says that her scalp itches from it. She got it in an area on her face and scalp that if not caught in time could have caused blindness.

I had a patient referred to me for post-herpetic itch. He had had shingles a year or two prior but this itch developed post and was severe. He would put his head under ice cold water repetitively as this was the only temporary relief he found for this itch. His physician was hoping perhaps TENS (a type of electrical stim for pain relief) would help. Alas, it did not.

We will be getting the injection when the time is right. Probably earlier than 60 (50's?), but I think 40 is too young, since the research isn't there to support it yet.

Is shingles getting more common? I don't remember hearing much about until recently.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom