Ladies hovering, a serious issue

Please. For the love of God. Close the lid on Porta Potty and those dump toilets found in national parks. There is an exhaust vent to let the stink out. They don't work when you leave the lids up.

Grandson was being scolded by the females in the family about leaving the seat up. So, I tried an experiment. I declared that I like both seats down. The seat plus the cover seat. Well, I didn’t press the issue, but the cover seat never gets put down. Apparently the toilet needs to be at the ready to sit on but never ready for standing or just being in it’s fully closed position. Thankfully, DGS is getting better at putting the seat down. It was getting him in trouble.

I now like having both seats down. Regardless, I don't over think as there's no avoiding some ewwww factor no matter what seat position if over thinking.

I cleaned restrooms at restaurants when I was a kid. Yes, the "Ladies" room was always and everywhere worse than the mens room.

You "ladies" are not.

Not intending to hijaak. Being male, and single living on my own without a spouse to report to, I've in the past had the seat up (more convenient for the guy). Plus, regardless of seat up or down, I've always thought, gotta touch the bar either way, so what's the point?

But after I having a discussion with a female friend about the seat up vs seat down controversy, I've switched to seat down. Main reason, that's the courteous thing to do. I've got to the point now that feels odd to leave the seat up.

Now about the hovering controversy, I'm gonna let the women here fight their own battles and know when to stay out of the scrum :cool:.

The correct position is seat down, top closed.

And it is really simple. Need it up, raise it. Need it down, lower.

A business idea: disposable water soluble paper funnels for men and women on a wall dispenser. Seat on a spring so it is up unless sat upon.

Leave it to a FIRE member to figure out a way to monetize a bathroom visit ! :angel:

I’ve only ever hovered in southern France because there were no toilet seats!!!

I am so glad I have been doing road trips with a motorhome to carry my own bathroom with me. All those expensive gallons of fuel are worth it.

And one thing to give Europeans credit for: the stop areas on toll highways generally have a fuel station, a restaurant, and a restroom. The restrooms as a rule are generally clean, and usually of the same condition as an airport restroom.

Grandson was being scolded by the females in the family about leaving the seat up. So, I tried an experiment. I declared that I like both seats down. The seat plus the cover seat. Well, I didn’t press the issue, but the cover seat never gets put down. Apparently the toilet needs to be at the ready to sit on but never ready for standing or just being in it’s fully closed position. Thankfully, DGS is getting better at putting the seat down. It was getting him in trouble.

You do not wish to be in a house late at night, wherein a female in a hurry rushes into a poorly lit bathroom and, ahem, falls in.

Now, I'm not broaching the issues of the duty to be cognizant of your surroundings, or proceed with caution, or to make sure that a room is properly lit before entering. Nope. I'm just saying you don't want to be there.

Don't ask me how I know . . . :blush:

One of my first jobs was cleaning a beauty salon. At that time there was only one male operator and 90% of the clientele were female. The two private unisex bathrooms were not pigstyes, perhaps because the operators and clients shared them?

... Imagine my surprise during our train journey when I went to use the toilet in the car and it was merely an opening in the floor that dropped human waste on to the tracks below.

The practice of dropping human waste down to the tracks is in use worldwide, even here in the US. There was once a story of some US hikers getting dumped on when they were walking under a trestle rail bridge. Don't ever walk under a rail bridge, or even along a rail.

It is not as gross as one immediately thinks, because dispersed human waste would disintegrate into the soil, not too differently than waste from wild animals.

And this is also why they lock up the restrooms on railcars when the train approaches a station, or within a city limit.

Last edited:
The practice of dropping human waste down to the tracks is in use worldwide, even here in the US. There was once a story of some US hikers getting dumped on when they were walking under a trestle rail bridge. Don't ever walk under a rail bridge, or even along a rail.

It is not as gross as one immediately thinks, because dispersed human waste would disintegrate into the soil, not too differently than waste from wild animals.

And this is also why they lock up the restrooms on railcars when the train approaches a station, or within a city limit.
Has not been standard practice in the US for quite some time. May still be true elsewhere

I’ve surveyed hundreds of miles of railroads where we walked along the tracks. Never once did I see any human feces along the tracks. Mostly urban and suburban areas though. But I have seen all kinds of things along shorelines and floating down rivers. Sewers in some areas allow effluent to flow freely into rivers.

I have not been on a train (in the US) for maybe 20 years, but when I was, you could see the tracks when you flushed. May be different now. But I agree, environmentally, really pretty "green".

You do not wish to be in a house late at night, wherein a female in a hurry rushes into a poorly lit bathroom and, ahem, falls in.

Believe me. I know this all too well. One of three boys growing up with a single mother. Yep, one night she fell in. I’m not sure if she whooped all three of us or what, but about 50 years later, I still have a memory of it. Another good reason to have the seat down and the lid closed. Double protection from any inadvertent fall in’s.

My surprise had to do with the size of the opening on the floor of the train car and then watching the track ties "whiz" below me as I took a leak.

^ this creeps me out. The fact that I used to walk along railroad tracks. And now I find out that human waste could have been strewn about. The speed of the train obviously creates a large debris field when a train toilet flushes, making it harder to notice.

Believe me. I know this all too well. One of three boys growing up with a single mother. Yep, one night she fell in. I’m not sure if she whooped all three of us or what, but about 50 years later, I still have a memory of it. Another good reason to have the seat down and the lid closed. Double protection from any inadvertent fall in’s.

I agree.

As an aside, I am the mother of six sons. :flowers:

I agree.

As an aside, I am the mother of six sons. :flowers:

You should be awarded a congressional medal of valor. I'm saying this as the father of only two sons. How in the h*ll did you manage??!!

Well, DW wants the seat down. I comply. But she doesn't want the lid put down. Sorry, if you want the seat down, they both go down. If I have to lift it up to pee, so do you.:D

^ this creeps me out. The fact that I used to walk along railroad tracks. And now I find out that human waste could have been strewn about. The speed of the train obviously creates a large debris field when a train toilet flushes, making it harder to notice.

Ronstar - there was no toilet to flush in the case of the train we were riding in Morocco. It was a strictly stand or squat proposition over a hole in the floor of the train car!

You should be awarded a congressional medal of valor. I'm saying this as the father of only two sons. How in the h*ll did you manage??!!

LOL, as you can imagine, there were some bumps along the way . . .

With our two grown and on their own with families for some time now, DW & I considered ourselves "survivors". Honestly, I can't imagine what it must have been like with 6 sons.

Growing up, my mother had a good friend who had four boys. After one of many of those "bumps along the way" she said "The Lord made 'em cute so you wouldn't drown 'em".:)

Back
Top Bottom