Laser Hemorrhoid Surgery Anyone?

RetiredAt49

Recycles dryer sheets
Okay here’s the situation…. I’m 50 years old and have had internal, prolapsing hemorrhoids (known as stage 3) for about 15 years. I’m very active/fit. Exercise 6 days/week. Eat good and mostly clean.

I’ve tried stool softeners, extra fiber, suppositories, rubber band litigation, you name it but these blasted things will not go away.

I met with a surgeon recently who performs a traditional hemorrhoidectomy (scalpel) and he says the recovery is horrible…. Weeks/months to heal and he says it’s like wrapping barb wire around a bowling ball and pushing it out [emoji15]

So I’ve done a lot of research and laser hemorrhoidplasty is supposed to be even more effective and patients return to normal activity within 2-3 days with minimal/no pain. If I do this, there’s nobody on my insurance plan (or in my state) so I’ll be paying out of pocket and traveling.

Anyone had either surgery and care to share?

Tough crowd… sensitive subject perhaps [emoji2]…. Has anyone had internal hemorrhoids and then you did something to make them go away?

I’ll confirm that the recovery from the traditional surgery is unpleasant. Perhaps the worst 10-14 days of my life. I returned to work for 1/2 days after about 4 weeks. Of course that was my last week before FIRE. I would not have been able to do my prior 8-10 hour days. Luckily I never had to! :dance:

Sorry, but that topic is such a pain in the a$$ to discuss.
Reminds me of a story a co-w*rker told me about an experience he had when he was a medical corpsman. The post where he was assigned had no hospital, only a clinic which was manned nights and weekends by two corpsmen. In the wee hours one Saturday night, a very pregnant military spouse showed up at the clinic in obvious discomfort and wanted to see a doctor. They asked her what the problem was and she refused to say, insisting on seeing a doctor.

They explained they were only permitted to contact the doctor on call if her medical condition was serious enough to warrant it, and couldn't make the call until she told them what her medical issue was. She said she could not, and left.

She returned about 30 minutes later and handed them a color Polaroid photo. Yep, she a serious case of hemorrhoids.

Years ago, I had a prolapsed, internal hemorrhoid. I went to a doctor at the local hospital. He did an exam and told me what it was. Said we'd go straight from the exam to surgery. He said it was too large for banding. I told him I didn't have time right then to go straight to surgery, I had to get back to work that day.
I thought he was rushing me for some reason, so sought a second opinion from another doctor in private practice. This doctor explained how painful hemorrhoid surgery recovery was. He said he could treat the internal hemorrhoids with electrical current. Basically cauterizing them. I let him go ahead and do that. The treatments were merely a bit uncomfortable. No pain at all during recovery. I did have one scab that came off with excessive bleeding, so had to return to have it re-cauterized. But overall, not bad treatment at all.
In searching for the cause of these internal hemorrhoids, I later discovered I had an underactive thyroid gland. Common cause of this problem.
Fast forward 20 years. I recently developed a small external hemorrhoid. First one I'd ever noticed. Most likely from increased weight lifting I'd guess. I went to a local doctor in private practice. He said I also had internal ones that needed treatment and also scheduled me for a colonoscopy without discussing it with me. I thought all that didn't add up. I went for a second opinion. The second doctor said I did have some small internal ones, but they didn't need treatment, and I wasn't due a colonoscopy for another year or so. I told her I'd learned to be wary of entrepreneurial doctors. She said when she spoke with her medical colleagues in private practice she was always surprised when they discussed all the extra procedures they prescribed.
I've never heard of laser treatment of hemorrhoids, but can recommend cautery if you can find a doctor to do the treatment.

When ever I see someone with any type of intestinal issue, from hemorrhoids to constipation, bloating, straining, anal bleeding, or pain, I suggest they at least review this video and decide for themselves if more or any fiber is the best choice. The doc uses data from studies to make his point. Below is a chart of the main study, and as he says, the lack of data in the last column is not a mistake or slip of his memory. That is the result of the study.

Attachments

• Fiber.jpg
    Fiber.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 62
Banding worked for me (several times) but haven't had a problem for nearly 20 years. I currently use a heaping teaspoon of whole psyllium husks each morning, but as the video indicates there are some aspects to high fiber that have a downside.

Clearly the single biggest improvement for me is drinking large amounts of water. I have to nearly force myself to drink throughout the day, knowing if I don't drink sufficient liquid I will have a problem. I attempt to drink more than double the 8X 8oz glasses of water. I don't often get there but I know it's the single biggest factor for me.

The few people that I know who did traditional surgery were in agony for a month or two. Maybe you can find some reviews online for this newer procedure.

OP - Since there are no doctors that do that procedure around. It would be worth it to apply to your insurance to cover the out of network doctor in another State as in network.

I'm sure they don't want to , but in other situations I've read how insurance did cover stuff since there is nothing close by, and you tried lots of alternatives. It's pretty cheap/free to try and you won't lose by trying.

I have had painful hemorrhoids for years (mainly external). I posted on this Forum about them a while back and some kind person suggested I try some asana yoga poses. I started doing these poses (especially the legs up the wall pose) for 30 minutes a day and my hemorrhoids shrunk and no longer bother me. Worth a try.

Tough crowd… sensitive subject perhaps [emoji2]…. Has anyone had internal hemorrhoids and then you did something to make them go away?

I had banding about 10 years ago for internals. It was done as part of my Colonoscopy. A little vaccuum sucks the roid and the device puts the elastic at the base and starves it of blood and it falls off (this is how they castrate some Bulls. It was pain free and helped reduce even the external ones. I have couple coming back but nothing like it was before banding.

Really pleased with the result.

Good Luck,

Wally

I did 2 surgeries for external hems (the second one a year following the first) and while the recovery was a bi*ch, I wish I did that 20 years earlier. I didn't because my doctor at the time scared the hell out of me - which sounds very much like what your doctor is doing to you. Yes, it's gonna be HELL - for a short while. But then you're done. Provided you eat well, hydrate and don't spend hours on the can.

I had banding about 10 years ago for internals. It was done as part of my Colonoscopy.

Appreciate the feedback. I had banding done a few years ago as part of my colonoscopy but it didn’t work at all. I have a laser hemorrhoid surgery scheduled in a couple of months… a traditional hemorrhoidectomy takes 6-8 weeks of hell (so I’m told) to recover and laser takes 1-3 days (so I’m told). My insurance will not cover it because it’s out of network and out of state so going to pay out of pocket because I’ve been dealing with this issue for nearly 20 years.

Appreciate the feedback. I had banding done a few years ago as part of my colonoscopy but it didn’t work at all. I have a laser hemorrhoid surgery scheduled in a couple of months… a traditional hemorrhoidectomy takes 6-8 weeks of hell (so I’m told) to recover and laser takes 1-3 days (so I’m told). My insurance will not cover it because it’s out of network and out of state so going to pay out of pocket because I’ve been dealing with this issue for nearly 20 years.

Out of curiosity, what is the cost ?

Back
Top Bottom