Yag Laser Procedure Post Cataract Surgery

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am scheduled to have some yag laser surgery to cleanup some scar tissue that developed after my cataract surgery last year. I understand it only takes a couple of minutes, and I think its done sitting up. Getting left eye done first, with a 2 week follow-up and then the right eye will be scheduled. I understand there are no restrictions on activities post op, unlike cataract surgery. Was told no eye drops needed unless some inflammation occurs.

Has anyone had this done and how were your results?

I am scheduled to have some yag laser surgery to cleanup some scar tissue that developed after my cataract surgery last year. I understand it only takes a couple of minutes, and I think its done sitting up. Getting left eye done first, with a 2 week follow-up and then the right eye will be scheduled. I understand there are no restrictions on activities post op, unlike cataract surgery. Was told no eye drops needed unless some inflammation occurs.

Has anyone had this done and how were your results?
I haven't had this done, but it sounds easier than the cataract surgery was. Good luck and I hope it helps!

I have had some double vision (in each eye, separately) ever since my cataract surgery. The opthalmologist doesn't know why so he hasn't done anything about it. I haven't had him look into it to any great extent, because overall my vision is better than it was.

W2R, I had a severe inflammation in both eyes a couple years ago that was caused by wearing contacts. My opth. prescribed Acuvail drops to reduce the inflammation which helped. It hasn't occurred again. But YMMV since this was not caused from cataract surgery. Interestingly my double vision was vertical and not horizontal and (according to my opth.) was caused by inflammation in the muscles that move the eye.

No personal experience, but I understand it's simple, easy, and nearly foolproof. When I had my cataract surgery a few years ago, I asked the doc about this (it's sometimes called "secondary cataract" but that's really a misnomer).

My doc said it was not common, but if necessary I would be in and out in ten minutes. Just a quick zap with the laser and you're done. This from a guy with 23 years experience doing it.

Conditions: Posterior Capsulotomy (Laser after Cataract Surgery) | Eugene Eye Care

I think this might what you are referring to: Conditions: Posterior Capsulotomy (Laser after Cataract Surgery) | Eugene Eye Care

I've had cataract surgery on both eyes and within a relatively short period
(a yr or so?) had this done on both eyes so now w/ the 4 treatments I should be good for life :) I don't remember much about the later treatment so that must mean it was as advertised......short/ painless/no side effects........
Good luck w/your treatment.

I had the yag procedure about a year after my cataract removal on one eye. Really no big deal--mine took about 10 minutes with the surgeon. You simply put your chin on a device and the surgeon "zaps" the floater like pieces with the lazer.
So far (7 years) the other eye has not required a yag session

Conditions: Posterior Capsulotomy (Laser after Cataract Surgery) | Eugene Eye Care

I think this might what you are referring to: Conditions: Posterior Capsulotomy (Laser after Cataract Surgery) | Eugene Eye Care

I've had cataract surgery on both eyes and within a relatively short period
(a yr or so?) had this done on both eyes so now w/ the 4 treatments I should be good for life :) I don't remember much about the later treatment so that must mean it was as advertised......short/ painless/no side effects........
Good luck w/your treatment.

That might be what it is, although he did say something about scar tissue, but that sounds like the procedure.

Last year after surgery, I played softball and could read the scoreboard easily in right field, now its a little blurry, so hope this puts me back where I was last year.

Thanks all for wishing me luck. I'll update again after the treatment.

I had my cataract surgery in 2005, and had the Yag laser treatment in around 2010. As other have described, it is a 5-10 minute procedure. They dilate your eyes, you rest your chin on the machine, and the doc essentially plays PAC Man with the laser, shooting out the old scar tissue or left over lens capsule. Seriously, my doc sounded like he was using an old arcade game to zap the bad guys. Please make sure you have someone with you to drive you home. I have a very hard time driving with dilated eyes, esp with the type of replacement lens that I have (bi-focal). My mom has also had the procedure done, twice. Only once for me so far. I had the surgery at 43, vision is still great at 55.

W2R, I had a severe inflammation in both eyes a couple years ago that was caused by wearing contacts. My opth. prescribed Acuvail drops to reduce the inflammation which helped. It hasn't occurred again. But YMMV since this was not caused from cataract surgery. Interestingly my double vision was vertical and not horizontal and (according to my opth.) was caused by inflammation in the muscles that move the eye.

Thanks, maybe this is similar. Glad the drops took care of it for you. :)

I had my cataract surgery in 2005, and had the Yag laser treatment in around 2010. As other have described, it is a 5-10 minute procedure. They dilate your eyes, you rest your chin on the machine, and the doc essentially plays PAC Man with the laser, shooting out the old scar tissue or left over lens capsule. Seriously, my doc sounded like he was using an old arcade game to zap the bad guys. Please make sure you have someone with you to drive you home. I have a very hard time driving with dilated eyes, esp with the type of replacement lens that I have (bi-focal). My mom has also had the procedure done, twice. Only once for me so far. I had the surgery at 43, vision is still great at 55.

Thanks, AFAIK, this procedure should only be required once in a lifetime following cataract surgery. Many people fortunately do not need this done at all.

I am scheduled to have some yag laser surgery to cleanup some scar tissue that developed after my cataract surgery last year................................

You can ask your doctor about this but as I recall, this was described to me as putting a hole in the rear capsule to let the light through which sounds more vicious than cleaning up some scar tissue :)

I had a yag laser procedure to create iridotomies for glaucoma. I believe it is the same device. Its pretty simple, painless and my doctor even met me at the clinic at 7am so that I could go to an 8am meeting that day (ah - the days when I w*rked - how I don't miss them !!!). All the best.

I had a yag laser procedure to create iridotomies for glaucoma. I believe it is the same device. Its pretty simple, painless and my doctor even met me at the clinic at 7am so that I could go to an 8am meeting that day (ah - the days when I w*rked - how I don't miss them !!!). All the best.

Thanks, I wish more Drs were that accommodating. I wouldn't want to be late for my golf tee-off time:D

The procedure took place last week and was uneventful. The actual procedure probably was less than 5 minutes, although applying 3 rounds of drops to numb and dilate took about 45 minutes. I was fully recovered the next day after the effects of the drops had worn off. The Dr told me to use lubricating drops several times a day and that helped prevent that scratchy feeling. Had a checkup yesterday, and the left eye has been restored to 20/20. My right eye which has not been done, also tested 20/20, so no need to use the YAG on that eye at this time. They said its likely to need it in future, but I have no idea how long that will take for the right eye to degrade.

Here is some Yag Laser pricing info I recently learned.

I had my elective cataract surgery in 2013. I had the left eye treated with the yag laser a few months later, but the right was left alone. The cost of the Yag laser treatment was "no charge" as it occurred within the 12 month treatment window.

A few months ago, I started having vision problems with the right eye. After researching the issue, I thought I might be having scar tissue building up and would need the Yag laser treatment.

I had the cataract surgery performed in Phoenix, but I now live in Salt Lake. I called the vision center in Phoenix and inquired about the cost of the Yag laser treatment in my right eye. I was quoted $220 for initial exam, $300 in additional tests if needed and $1100 for the yag laser treatment. A grand total of $1620.

I called a vision center in the SLC area that performs a high volume of cataract surgeries. They quoted me a price of $180 for the exam and $500 for the Yag laser treatment.

I have my appt in SLC next week. Will update when appropriate.

I don't know what the cost was, as medicare + sup covered mine.

Back
Top Bottom