LDL Measurements and Statin Use Poll

Tell us about your LDL measurements and statin use

• Thought there was only one LDL measurement, using statin.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Thought there was only one LDL measurement, not using statin.

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, using statin.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • Heard about LDL particle size, never had an LDL-P test, not using statin.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Had an LDL-P test, using statin.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Had an LDL-P test, not using statin.

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters
The previous calculator seems to be fraught with gigo also, according to some involved. It is mighty tempting to cook up simplifying tools, but the underpinning studies can be out of date or poorly composed by the time conclusions are reached.
Or simply cherry picking only the studies that fit a certain world view and integrating those.

Manufacture of cannabinoids for perssonal use is 50 states legal. :)
Forever to be known as the endorphin high, I am pretty sure that frequent indulgence will prove to be healthier than lifetime commitment to a pharmaceutical product.

Please show me the law that indicates cannabis use is legal in Texas, without some medical issue exclusion.

Please show me the law that indicates cannabis use is legal in Texas, without some medical issue exclusion.

Pill form THC is legal under doctor's prescription. That's about it.

I was referring to the endocannabinoids produced naturally in the brain - most likely responsible for the "runners high" and usually mischaracterized as the endorphin high. Cannabinoid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There has been ongoing debate as to whether endorphins can cross the blood/brain barrier. If they do, the role is more probably pain control.

I was referring to the endocannabinoids produced naturally in the brain - most likely responsible for the "runners high" and usually mischaracterized as the endorphin high. Cannabinoid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There has been ongoing debate as to whether endorphins can cross the blood/brain barrier. If they do, the role is more probably pain control.
You can also get a pretty good endorphin rush from eating salsa! LOL!

Some people get "addicted" to spicy food.

Definitely legal in Texas, LOL!

You can also get a pretty good endorphin rush from eating salsa! LOL!

Some people get "addicted" to spicy food.

Definitely legal in Texas, LOL!

Be careful when combining the two - running and hot pepper consumption. :cool:
You may arrive in the state of panic

Last edited:

Oh my bad, I just focused on the cannabinoid and translated that to mean cannibus. I used to get runners highs when I was in my 20s and able to run distances combined with HIT sprints. Wish I could replicate that today. I can still sprint, but distances are out of the question with my anemic aerobic fitness level:(

Take it from a non-runner; it's possible to get endorphins from doing cardio machines at very high resistance.

Of course it could just be the effect of "I'm so ecstatic that's over!" :LOL:

Amethyst

I used to get runners highs when I was in my 20s and able to run distances combined with HIT sprints. Wish I could replicate that today.

Take it from a non-runner; it's possible to get endorphins from doing cardio machines at very high resistance.

Of course it could just be the effect of "I'm so ecstatic that's over!" :LOL:

Amethyst

I don't know whether it was from endorphins spiking or what, but after running 5-6 miles, I could break into all out sprints and it felt like I was floating on air, totally effortless. At least for me, I can't imagine a machine that could replicate that feeling. I'd give it a try, but don't feel like collapsing in the gym.

I don't know whether it was from endorphins spiking or what, but after running 5-6 miles, I could break into all out sprints and it felt like I was floating on air, totally effortless. At least for me, I can't imagine a machine that could replicate that feeling. I'd give it a try, but don't feel like collapsing in the gym.

That sounds like heaven!

I haven't ever gotten into running, and the closest I have ever got to the state of nirvana that you describe is a lot less intense. I just get a huge smile on my face and an abnormally cheery/upbeat demeanor right after a workout.

Well, I was on the vegan diet for 10 weeks and had my blood tested yesterday.

First, my blood results from 08/08/12:

Total Cholesterol 278
HDL Cholesterol 82
LDL Cholesterol 174
Triglycerides 108
Glucose 97

My diet in 2012 consisted of vegetables, fruit, salmon, grains and dairy. Some of the food was processed. I was using soy milk for coffee, but I ate cheese in moderation. I have not eaten red meat or poultry since 1976. I was getting 1 - 2 hours of exercise a day. My height was 5'3" and weight ~115 pounds.

I started the vegan diet on 2/24/13. The blood results from 04/30/13 are:

Total Cholesterol 238
HDL Cholesterol 77
LDL Cholesterol 142
Triglycerides 96
Glucose 103

My diet has been mostly whole foods consisting of vegetables, fruit, grains, a vegetable protein powder and six oz of red wine per day. I fractured my ankle on January 2nd and couldn't start exercising again until the first part of March. Since then I went back to my 1 - 2 hours of exercise per day. My height is still 5'3" and weight ~115 pounds.

I am really shocked that my LDL dropped so dramatically. Almost everything in my life was the same except for cutting out seafood (mostly wild caught salmon) and adding 6 oz of red wine per day.

I was planning on adding salmon back into my diet because I didn't anticipate a substantial change in my LDL, but now I plan on continuing with the vegan diet and having the blood test again maybe at the six month point.

I am not so concerned about having high LDL, but I am fascinated that I could alter the LDL count by ~18%.

I am a bit bummed that my glucose reading increased to 103. I will be keeping an eye on that.

-helen

I had a fasting blood test done again on 1/23/14 which was about 11 months after starting a strict vegan diet. I have dropped about seven pounds since going vegan. I also retired in May so my stress level has dropped.

It is very interesting (to me) to see that the majority of the cholesterol changes occurred within the first 10 weeks of going vegan. The last 8 plus months of being vegan didn't result in much of a difference. Here are my recent numbers:

Total Cholesterol = 228
Triglycerides = 93
HDL = 70
LDL = 139

Glucose = 94

It might be interesting to add salmon back into my diet but stay off dairy and all other animal products then have the test done again at some point in the future.

-helen

Avocado is supposed to be very good for improving blood lipid results.
I eat a lot of 'em. Not claiming causality here, but when I went to the biometric screening and they did a 'while you wait' blood lipid test, I "broke the machine" because my HDL was over 100!

I would be concerned that your HDL continues to go down. The rest of it, not so much.

I would be concerned that your HDL continues to go down. The rest of it, not so much.

Reducing foods with added sugar and foods with highly processed, pulverized flours, brought my Trigs way down and increased my HDL. I have read that the HDL/Trig ratio is a much better predictor of CVD than simple cholesterol levels, so that made me quite happy.

I "broke the machine" because my HDL was over 100!

I have this too with an HDL of 117 last count.
There is actually a name for this >90 HDL 'condition' - hyperalphalipoproteinemia. Mostly genetic, it occurs in about 7% of my cohort, white males. It is more common with woman, blacks, and some asians.

Back
Top Bottom