Doctor Meet and Greet Questions

I go to an independent concierge practice. Their fees are very reasonable and they have a contract with LabCorp that keeps lab costs low. They have several doctors and NOs in two locations.

I also had former academic colleagues that went into private practice and are part of MDVIP.

Low ratings may come from patients who self-select a concierge doctor and think that they are getting someone who recommends homeopathy, crystals, and are anti-vax. My doc told me they lost a number of patients in the last couple of years because they recommended standard screenings and (gasp!) vaccination.

The meet and greet appointment with the doctor went well. He was personable, explained his philosophy and how they handle referrals. They do do a lot of things "in house" that some other practices I have been in don't do. For example, he does Prolia injections in his office while my last doctor sent me to another practice for that as he didn't stock the medication. So we plan to sign up this week. We will assess in a year whether we thought it was worth it.

But it is time. Doing a meet and greet with my spouse's physician next week. A few minor age issues but mostly I want to get a complete blood work up to ensure that I really am in good health, etc. Fingers crossed.

About a year ago I went to the doctor for routine lab work (which I did annually) and my LDL which was always a little high and drifted up over 180. I started the statin but asked about doing a calcium scan and did that and found have I more calcified plaque than 95% of women my age. This was a complete shock. Yes, I knew the LDL was high (but not so high the doctor had recommended a statin before). I thought of myself as very healthy. I ate reasonably well (my cardiologist agrees). I felt I was deconditioned as I stopped exercising during Covid (bad decision), but otherwise was healthy. Turned out I have 4 blockages in my arteries (not quite bad enough to stent). Just from how I felt I would never have had a clue....

Low ratings may come from patients who self-select a concierge doctor and think that they are getting someone who recommends homeopathy, crystals, and are anti-vax. My doc told me they lost a number of patients in the last couple of years because they recommended standard screenings and (gasp!) vaccination.

That is interesting. DH and I did our meet and greet with the physician we were considering. He was wearing a mask (we weren't) so don't think I have to worry about him! The negative ratings I had seen about him were all before he switched to concierge and were mostly about him seeming in a hurry which, of course, was part of why he switched to concierge so he wouldn't have to be in a hurry.

One criticism from years ago amused me. The patient complained that the doctor called him by his last name at every visit. To me, that is appropriate. Or, to put it another way -- don't call me by my first name unless you expect me to call you by your first name. I have been on a first name basis with some physicians and that is fine -- if it goes both ways. Otherwise, yes, they need to call me by my last name.

It’s funny about people’s name preference. My mom hated being called by her first name but I chalked it up to her generation as I prefer it.

It’s funny about people’s name preference. My mom hated being called by her first name but I chalked it up to her generation as I prefer it.

I would never call "my" doctor by her/his first name. BUT I'd prefer they called me by my first name (nick name, really.) Most do not. I'm not certain they recall from visit to visit. I assume most doctors have 1500 patients so I can hardly expect them to know me other than by a file.

So we signed up for the MDVIP practice. I have my first real appointment next week and it is booked for an hour and a half. We may not use all that time but it is nice to have it available.

I don't personally mind someone calling me by my first name. I mind someone calling me by my first name and expecting me to call them by their last name. So, for a doctor (or other professional) I would expect them to call me by my last name unless and until it was clear we were both on a first name basis.

I like to be called by first name by people I know. I would not like to be called by first name by anyone in a potentially adversarial relationship (Think opposing council, police officer, gummint official, etc.) Using first name in such relationships indicates superiority in the relationship. YMMV

I like to be called by first name by people I know. I would not like to be called by first name by anyone in a potentially adversarial relationship (Think opposing council, police officer, gummint official, etc.) Using first name in such relationships indicates superiority in the relationship. YMMV

I agree with that mostly. However, I feel that if a physician calls me by my first name but expects me to use their last name then that shows that they see themself as superior to me. I will say that is a change that I have seen happening in more recent years. Physicians are more willing to use the patient's last name or make it clear we are all on a first name basis (more rare than the first).

I agree with that mostly. However, I feel that if a physician calls me by my first name but expects me to use their last name then that shows that they see themself as superior to me. I will say that is a change that I have seen happening in more recent years. Physicians are more willing to use the patient's last name or make it clear we are all on a first name basis (more rare than the first).

None of this really upsets me, I just appreciate when the doc calls me by first name. I actually prefer calling the doc by "doctor so-and-so." It helps ME to know that he is in a position of (not authority) superior knowledge.

I had a great PCP when I was in California and until before we moved, he would call me on the phone and say "This is William." I chuckle thinking about it because I had always addressed him as Dr. XXX out of respect. My current concierge doctor said that being our concierge doctor is like having a brother-in-law where we could call and text him anytime about our health issues. I asked if I could address him as "Jeff" since I am on first name basis with my brother-in-law and he said no. To us he is Dr. XXX. We have no issues with it because we feel that it is respectful to address him as Dr. XXX.

Last edited:
First name, last name.... either is fine with me. Just dont ever try Honey or Sweetie or similar just because I have grey hair!

I worked with many doctors during my work life. And became professionally close with some. I never thought to address any Doctor by first name, no matter our age disparity (in either direction). Addressing with title is recognition of their superior medical knowledge.

I worked with many doctors during my work life. And became professionally close with some. I never thought to address any Doctor by first name, no matter our age disparity (in either direction). Addressing with title is recognition of their superior medical knowledge.

Before I was retired I was an attorney. And I certainly had superior legal knowledge to my clients. But if we were on a first name basis (and we usually were), it went both ways....

Back
Top Bottom