Lead from gasoline blunted the IQ of about half the U.S. population

I had always heard that the lead pipes in Chicago were not a big problem, because the somewhat alkaline water had enough minerals to coat the pipe, reducing the amount of lead leached into the water. The big problem in Flint MI was that they switched water sources to one that was more acidic.

I didn't come up with anything conclusive in my searches and most of the data was pretty hard to parse, but it does seem that there are lead levels that exceed standards in many areas of Chicago. But, my searching also showed that the blood levels of lead in the population are pretty low and most importantly, decreased by a large % from 1990's to 2010's. As I understand it, not much has changed in the water supply in that time, but major strides were made in getting rid of lead paint/residue.

So it seems that lead paint was a big culprit, not so much the water? But as I said, the sources I found were a bit hard to decipher.

Her'es one:

https://data.cityofchicago.org/Heal...tatistics-Screening-for-elevated-bl/v2z5-jyrq

-ERD50

ERD: doesn't matter. The Man wants to get rid of lead pipes everywhere, despite the small risk.

All that you say is correct. It has been known for a long time that the oxidized lead provides a good protective coating, as long as you are not running acidic water.

But this is not enough with the new thinking. And yes, some of it is political. In case you haven't noticed, everything now swings to 110% despite the most minimal of risks.

ERD: doesn't matter. The Man wants to get rid of lead pipes everywhere, despite the small risk.

All that you say is correct. It has been known for a long time that the oxidized lead provides a good protective coating, as long as you are not running acidic water.

But this is not enough with the new thinking. And yes, some of it is political. In case you haven't noticed, everything now swings to 110% despite the most minimal of risks.

Yeah, I remember when we only talked about the weather. Now that's political too. YMMV

After seeing Flint, I would never trust the City or any City officials from lying about any change they might notice or do.

So weird that the city officials of Flint lied and hid the lead issue, it's not like it was a corporation lying to protect profits and bonuses.
Or maybe I'm mixed up in thinking city officials are there to do what is right for the city and that is why they get paid.

Lead and asbestos were convenient materials to use that improved the performance of many products. Despite known risk, many times it was deemed "acceptable."

We're seeing the same in many plastic products now. I suspect our kids will look at us with a "what were you thinking" attitude. "They made baby pacifiers out of the stuff!"

Lead and asbestos were convenient materials to use that improved the performance of many products. Despite known risk, many times it was deemed "acceptable."

We're seeing the same in many plastic products now. I suspect our kids will look at us with a "what were you thinking" attitude. "They made baby pacifiers out of the stuff!"

Yep, check out the chemicals used in our beloved dryer sheets.

I've heard this from more than one source over the years but thought I'd post at least one article on it. Haven't read the entire thread so I hope this isn't a duplicate. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter

There are other articles claiming IQ's have been DE-creasing "for decades", though. Who can you trust....?

I've heard this from more than one source over the years but thought I'd post at least one article on it. Haven't read the entire thread so I hope this isn't a duplicate. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter

There are other articles claiming IQ's have been DE-creasing "for decades", though. Who can you trust....?

No wonder so many people are on Facebook and Tic-Tok.:LOL:

interesting article but there is no doubt that lead is neurotoxic

interesting article but there is no doubt that lead is neurotoxic

So, I'm thinking: How high would IQ's be nowadays without the 2-steps forward, 1-step back interference of leaded gasoline....? And would we be any better off or any more advanced....?

I think the estimate is a few points on average. Of course, the lead exposure and toxicity wasn't distributed equally.

I think the estimate is a few points on average. Of course, the lead exposure and toxicity wasn't distributed equally.

Nor was leaded gasoline the only source of lead. In my lifetime, presence of lead paint has become an "issue" when buying/selling a house. A lot of lead exposure occurred when kids (must have been very bored:facepalm:) ate lead paint chips. YMMV

Nor was leaded gasoline the only source of lead. In my lifetime, presence of lead paint has become an "issue" when buying/selling a house. A lot of lead exposure occurred when kids (must have been very bored:facepalm:) ate lead paint chips. YMMV

As a kid, I remember PSAs on TV showing kids literally eating paint chips, and the message was "hey kids, don't eat paint chips."

What we know now is eating paint chips is only one issue, and probably not the biggest one.

Instead, it is the dust. The dust!

This is where I think the whole concept of acceptable risk and unintended consequences comes into play. Lead was known to be a problem for a long time, but they still put it in paint. There surely was thinking that it was acceptable since most people don't eat paint, and any workers with the product that are applying or removing it could "be careful." (Yeah, right, as the worker or homeowner powers up the sander distributing dust everywhere.)

What they forgot was the window and door thing. Old homes with rubbing surfaces. Kids playing on the floor by the front window that mom opens and closes every day.

The dust settles in the lungs. It may get expelled over time, but during that time, there's a lot of absorption.

Back
Top Bottom