life before the ACA

It seems like I remember pre-ACA that the preexisting condition clauses only kicked in when there was a coverage gap, like 90 days or 6 months, something like that. Does anyone else recall it being that way?
Yes. It was part of HIPAA.

Pre-ACA, guaranteed issue existed for employer group plans but not individuals. That means someone with a pre-existing condition could not be excluded from joining a group plan, but could be denied individual insurance. Insurers were required to offer plans to businesses. They did have the flexibility to limit offerings to “very small” businesses, so self employed people usually found themselves excluded from business insurance options.

When someone covered under a group plan left it, insurers were required to offer a transitional plan that was guaranteed renewable. So, leaving an employer plan, one still had one option to obtail individual health insurance. There were few regulations regarding coverage or cost, so there was no guarantee it would be affordable or comprehensive, and often had limited network options.

Yes. It was part of HIPAA.

That was Title I of HIPAA. Title I only covers employer-provided plans.
If you were not employed, you were not protected this way.

Back
Top Bottom