ACA enrollment question

Murf2

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all, I’ve tried searching but came up empty. So I hope you guys can help.
The wife & I were both on ACA. I am now on MediCare and she is still on the ACA marketplace for another couple years.
The ACA plan is still in my name with my wife as the only one with coverage. Can we continue like this or should she create an account of her own? I don’t know if it makes a difference or not. Is it required for us to change the account.

Thanks!
Murf

Just curious, over 200 views & no replies.
Is this just a really dumb question or has no one removed coverage for the primary person on the account.

I will call Healthcare.gov and see what they say.

Mostly surprised that I may have
“stumped the band”. [emoji16]
Maybe it was just a question that shouldn’t have needed asking.

Murf

Not an expert here. If your plan is through Healthcare.gov or the state marketplace you need to log in to your account and update with “report a life change”. The change being you transitioning to Medicare. You can probably call as well. The marketplace will then provide the logistics of the transition for your spouse’s policy.

When I went on Medicare, my wife still had a few years of ACA. We kept the same account when logging into the site. They will base the premium on the full household income.

We had similar situation a few years back. I recall my agent said he needed to cancel mine on the last day (phone and/or website) to make sure my wife can stay on ACA under my ACA account. Just one more thing was her plan # will change even for the same coverage and subsidy will be less for the same household income.

Thanks guys! I was trying to be snippy this morning![emoji16]
I just thought you guys telling me was easier than waiting on hold with Healthcare. gov

Livefree, thanks! My situation is just like yours.
I guess I was just wondering if I could let it ride one more year instead of rocking the boat.

It seems like whenever I try to interact with government entities I end up regretting it.

Thanks all!
Murf

. . .
It seems like whenever I try to interact with government entities I end up regretting it.
. . .
Murf

LOL. I feel that way about most things in life that involve calling faceless strangers to sort out of a problem. GL.

Aerides, I’ve you don’t mind me asking. Do you search the forums on Tapatalk or the desktop?
I ask because I never seem to have any luck searching.
I appreciate your finding them for me!

Murf

only the desktop. In this case I remembered the prior discussions, so I searched both "ACA wife" and "ACA spouse".

only the desktop. In this case I remembered the prior discussions, so I searched both "ACA wife" and "ACA spouse".

Thanks Aerides! Kinda embarrassing. One of your links led me to a MichealB link to a post I started on the same subject.
I tell ya I think I’m losing it! [emoji9]

Murf

This is an interesting topic. We have friends who signed up for ACA several years ago and the older person is the primary account holder. Hopefully the transition will be easy to address when the time comes.

DW and I enrolled in ACA last year. She is younger than me so we enrolled with her as the primary member. Hopefully that avoids any confusion when I drop ACA and enroll in Medicare next year.

I haven’t dealt with Healthcare.gov on the phone in a few years. But I recall it didn’t take hours on hold and the person on the other end was extremely helpful and kind. Ditto for the state exchange (Pennie in PA). Nice folks who walked me through computer and other issues. The peons that work in these agencies know they work for us people and generally are pleasant to talk to. They’re just folks doing their job. Talking to people who are pleasant and appreciative makes their day.

Healtcare . gov kept me for the partial year... but we had to create an account for her on a whole new year...

Back
Top Bottom