Low Carb Diet

great to finally see others mentioning Dr. Ludwig's work. His advice has re invigorated my weight loss and resulted even more importantly in my feeling much better and having a lot more energy.

Is it possible to have 3 or 4 Michelob Ultras and then go take some fiber tabs to get the net carbs down?

I think it only works if you take the fiber tabs first. :)

It works even better if you just do straight shots of tequila.

That's absurd. You need a new doctor, stat! That A1c change, while possibly being a good wake up call, is a margin of error sort of thing. A good week or so of fruity drinks during a vacation could cause that. Now that you've seen your numbers, stick with your lower carb eating and most likely everything will be fine.

My A1c was 5.7 a couple of years ago, 5.9 last year and 5.7 this past month, so I agree that that increase isn't always an indication of impending disaster. I did make an effort to cut back on refined sugars, and cut out pasta, white rice, bread and potatoes in favor of quinoa, bulghur and whole grains, which I like better anyway because they have more texture. I'm also drinking scotch more frequently, wine less often.

Not sure that "a week or so" of fruity drinks could spike A1c; the advantage of that test over fasting glucose is that it's supposed to be a superior long-term measure.

"When I say low carb, people do not know that it means I eat pasta while lying down" -- Anon.

If I go to Chilli’s and get a cheeseburger and eat the patty without the bun and skip the fries is actually better for me than a grilled chicken sandwich on a bun. Crazy

If I go to Chilli’s and get a cheeseburger and eat the patty without the bun and skip the fries is actually better for me than a grilled chicken sandwich on a bun. Crazy
First, why is this crazy? Second, how are you sure that this is correct?

Ha

Can't say whether it's "better" for you, but this is exactly the kind of dietary (i.e. "watching your figure") advice that circulated among girls when I was a teen. Eat the cheeseburger, no bun, skip the fries, drink a diet soda. Girls back then didn't work out, but boy did they diet.

I lost 5 lbs since this thread started. How's the OP doing?

Can't say whether it's "better" for you, but this is exactly the kind of dietary (i.e. "watching your figure") advice that circulated among girls when I was a teen. Eat the cheeseburger, no bun, skip the fries, drink a diet soda. Girls back then didn't work out, but boy did they diet.

From the look of many women in America today, the diet fad is long gone. (I said many, not all);)

Yeah, I remember that diet. It pretty much ignored fat intake and focused on minimal carbs, so the bun was "bad" and it didn't matter that the chicken was lower in fat than a beef patty topped with cheese. I try to follow a moderate path. DH used to work with a guy who was always on the low carb diet- his body went into ketosis, which is supposed to be a good effect, but DH said his breath reeked.

Yeah, I remember that diet. It pretty much ignored fat intake and focused on minimal carbs, so the bun was "bad" and it didn't matter that the chicken was lower in fat than a beef patty topped with cheese. I try to follow a moderate path. DH used to work with a guy who was always on the low carb diet- his body went into ketosis, which is supposed to be a good effect, but DH said his breath reeked.

That's one of the benefits of ketosis.😁

There are folks who do need to eat that way for medical conditions. I'm not one of them and I won't restrict my diet that far. It's difficult to stay in the state and some folks (ab)use the diet to eat, non-optimally. (One of my buddies was always a low-carber until donuts showed up.😁)

I will remove half or more of a bun that's not adding value(taste or needed nutrition) to my meal. One of the many adjustments we've made. I do find protein and fats more filling than cheap carbs.

I've been recording episodes of the Donna Reed Show, made in the late 50s to early 60s. Appeal for me? Simpler times, I guess. On one, Donna couldn't fit into a dress so she went on a diet and then later the whole family did. They had a couple of scenes before that at the dinner table where Donna would make a big cake every night and they were all eating multiple pieces.

The shocker to me was that Donna immediately cut out sweets. Then Alex, the father/doctor did the same and explained that cutting out sweets was the best way to lose weight. So everybody knew, even back then, about the effects of too much sugar.

The shocker to me was that Donna immediately cut out sweets. Then Alex, the father/doctor did the same and explained that cutting out sweets was the best way to lose weight. So everybody knew, even back then, about the effects of too much sugar.

Barney Fife knew that also. There is an episode of the Andy Griffith show where Barney turns down a piece of Aunt Bea's apple pie and explains that the carbs will cause him to gain weight

The big mistake we made was letting the Dept of Agriculture control the food pyramid recommendations. They helped out farmers and the food industry by more than doubling the carb servings their experts recommended.

http://www.whale.to/a/light.html

Our recommendation of 3-4 daily servings of whole-grain breads and cereals was changed to a whopping 6-11 servings forming the base of the Food Pyramid as a concession to the processed wheat and corn industries.

Last edited:
I've had success with low carb before, and lost 7 lbs from before thanksgiving to early January this year, but then I decided to take the advice I had seen in some places to up my protein and, while not worrying about fat in foods or dressings, avoid downing excess fat just for the fun of it. That was actually one month ago today, and I've lost 9 lbs in this stretch, and that includes having had hip reconstruction surgery 10 days ago.

When I upped my protein and let the fat be lower, my average daily caloric intake dropped by 300 calories, with ease, since my body is happily munching away on the fat it's already got to make up the difference. And while I've been laid up I've easily stuck to this way of eating--haven't been hungrier, or wanting to feast on junk food, or anything. I guarantee you I've never lost weight after surgery before, and this is with my basically being off my feet about 22 hours a day.

I generally shoot for between 85-105 g of protein a day, and under 50 net carbs.

I haven't been satisfied on under 1,400 calories a day since I was about 12, but I am now.

(5'6" female)

Last edited:
I will remove half or more of a bun that's not adding value(taste or needed nutrition) to my meal. One of the many adjustments we've made. I do find protein and fats more filling than cheap carbs.

I do that- it makes it a little messier to eat but if it's thick, squishy "enriched" White bread I'm happy to do without it.

BUT, if you ordered the grilled chicken and also thew away the bun it would be better for you than the burger and cheese... Crazy....

BUT, if you ordered the grilled chicken and also thew away the bun it would be better for you than the burger and cheese... Crazy....

That one's up for debate too. Low fat isn't as important as it used to be. Plus, there's probably a pickle with the burger.

On 1/18 (first post) I weighed 237.6. Last Tuesday's weigh-in was 230.4. So, 7.2 pounds.
Excellent and congrats. Was there a major change in diet that the nutritionist suggested?

Excellent and congrats. Was there a major change in diet that the nutritionist suggested?

I was losing weight by exercising and keeping the calories below 2,000 or so. I did not count carbs. Nutritionist suggested a detailed diet but the main takeaway is keeping carbs below 100. I am not sure if I am losing more or less on the low carbs. Have lost a total of 23 pounds since November 28.

I think it is good to try new eating programs as my body tends to plateau. Maybe the switching of diets will continue the weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom