Medical News? re: cancer cure

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
This could be the first and last post of this thread, as there doesn't seem to be much online info about "mu ta to", a complete cure for cancer?

Jerusalem Post HEALTH & SCIENCE
A CURE FOR CANCER? ISRAELI SCIENTISTS SAY THEY THINK THEY FOUND ONE
“We believe we will offer in a year's time a complete cure for cancer."
BY MAAYAN JAFFE-HOFFMAN JANUARY 28, 2019 23:14

A small team of Israeli scientists think they might have found the first complete cure for cancer.

“We believe we will offer in a year’s time a complete cure for cancer,” said Dan Aridor, of a new treatment being developed by his company, Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi), which was founded in 2000 in the ITEK incubator in the Weizmann Science Park. AEBi developed the SoAP platform, which provides functional leads to very difficult targets.

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/A-cure-for-cancer-Israeli-scientists-say-they-think-they-found-one-578939

The article was over my head, but the headline was inviting.

There is excellent medical science research being done in Israel. My experience with Israeli news outlets though is that they vastly overinflate the likely tinelines and scope of potential therapies. I follow neurologic research and have seen it happen there. I hope I am wrong about this but all cancer? One year?

Just using the word "cancer" as singular and all-encompassing is a red flag.

Much as I hope they're right, I'd bet a tidy sum it won't lead to "a" cure.

My money would be on a marketing stunt, combined with a sensationalist media outlet.

"Cure" is a troubling word. The medical community would be turned on its head. Just imagine all the oncology docs, nurses, scanners, wings on hospitals, lord, that would be catastrophic for the HC industry. There are so many different types of cancer. Some slow growing others aggressive. I take this news with a grain of salt.

"Cure" is a troubling word. The medical community would be turned on its head. Just imagine all the oncology docs, nurses, scanners, wings on hospitals, lord, that would be catastrophic for the HC industry.

While I totally doubt that this "news" is anywhere close to a cure (and do not expect one in my lifetime), the idea that if such a thing were true, we should have a moment of worry for the HC industry... um yeah no, wouldn't keep me up at night. All those drs and nurses would probably also gladly trade their careers to not have to worry about cancer for themselves, their loved ones...and society as a whole?

While I totally doubt that this "news" is anywhere close to a cure (and do not expect one in my lifetime), the idea that if such a thing were true, we should have a moment of worry for the HC industry... um yeah no, wouldn't keep me up at night. All those drs and nurses would probably also gladly trade their careers to not have to worry about cancer for themselves, their loved ones...and society as a whole?
I take what you're saying from a compassionate and caring point of view. I will say no more.

Agree this is very likely overblown as "cancer" as an umbrella is misleading. Various cancers are incredibly diverse.

As for worrying about the HC industry, I know my wonderful onco would LOVE never having to deliver patients another piece of bad news.

Don't get dazzled by headlines.

The article concludes:

"[CEO] Morad said that so far, the company has concluded its first exploratory mice experiment, which inhibited human cancer cell growth and had no effect at all on healthy mice cells, in addition to several in-vitro trials. AEBi is on the cusp of beginning a round of clinical trials which could be completed within a few years and would make the treatment available in specific cases."

Doesn't quite live up to the promise of the flashy headlines.

If curing mice of cancer was all we needed to do we have hundreds of failed drugs already which have done that.

There is a LOOOOONG way between curing mice and curing humans (without deadly side effects or other problems)

I would be a billionaire if all I had to do was find a company claiming to cure mice.

I could see the drug companies trying to buy the patent and suppress it because it would be a huge financial loss.

I could see the drug companies trying to buy the patent and suppress it because it would be a huge financial loss.

They would likely put the drug on the same shelf as those carburetors developed in the 1980s that got 180MPG but were silenced and suppressed by big oil. :rolleyes:

Did anyone understand the article?

As I understand it, the technique has the potential to be a highly efficient and targeted form of chemo. Whether they will live up to that potential is anyone's guess at this point.

Great, that means the SS Trust will run out of money earlier.

Unless they decide to properly fund it. And with more people needing more money that would be a motivation from the voters. This might be the push (eventually) that's needed

There is one grain of truth, as I see it, in that article. If and when we ever "beat" cancer, it will be with highly personalized, individual treatments. And that's what the article says they're after. It's a start, but I suspect there will be more to it than that.

Every cancer, and every patient, is different. Only when we understand all the intricacies of the biology of the person, and of their particular cancer (and probably, their micro-biome) will we be able to confidently "cure" cancer at a large scale.

Agree this is very likely overblown as "cancer" as an umbrella is misleading. Various cancers are incredibly diverse.

As for worrying about the HC industry, I know my wonderful onco would LOVE never having to deliver patients another piece of bad news.

My oncologist tells me all the time that his purpose in life is to put himself out of business.

Great, that means the SS Trust will run out of money earlier.

You might think that's funny, but as someone who has had cancer I can assure you there isn't one iota of humor in your remark.

You might think that's funny, but as someone who has had cancer I can assure you there isn't one iota of humor in your remark.

Cancer is not funny, I lost my dad to it, my mother is recovering, and my neighbor is in hospice Stage V. This supposed cure wouldn't get out of FDA testing til 2027. The intended humor was extended to the usual threads about if we should take it at 62 or 70 that we have beaten to death.

I've had my share of lost loved ones to cancer. I'm sure many of us had.

But I think I have to come to the defense of humor here. Cancer is absolutely not taboo. It does not hold veto power over humor. I refuse to give it that much power.

The things I have control over, I take seriously. Many things I have no control over can simply be ignored. For those which can not, humor is one way to deal with them.

Whenever possible, I try to avoid letting things I can't control, control me.

"Cure" is a troubling word. The medical community would be turned on its head. Just imagine all the oncology docs, nurses, scanners, wings on hospitals, lord, that would be catastrophic for the HC industry. There are so many different types of cancer. Some slow growing others aggressive. I take this news with a grain of salt.

I take what you're saying from a compassionate and caring point of view. I will say no more.

I am totally with Aerides on this.

Rianne, do you know anyone who works in an oncology department? My son and his wife both work in oncology (he is a BCOP, she is radiation therapist/dosimeter), and nothing would make them happier than to see a cure for this horrible disease. They would find work in other areas, though there might be a period of adjustment for them.

It's really extremely insulting to suggest these good, hard working, caring people would put their current jobs ahead of a cure for this disease. They see the devastation and pain that it causes every single day.

Community rules have me holding back, so I will just say : Shame on you. :mad:

-ERD50

Let's see, The Dr. sends in a sample of the cancer biopsy. Then the drug company creates a cure potion specifically for that patient. The patient takes that concoction for 4 weeks and the cancer is cured. I can't see that as being low cost or even covered by any insurance for many, many years to come. I think it is great that drug companies are doing this research and sometime in the future, some types of cancer may be treatable with this technology. To think that all kinds of cancer will be treatable by this method seems to me to be more hype than substance.

Let's see, The Dr. sends in a sample of the cancer biopsy. Then the drug company creates a cure potion specifically for that patient. The patient takes that concoction for 4 weeks and the cancer is cured. I can't see that as being low cost or even covered by any insurance for many, many years to come. I think it is great that drug companies are doing this research and sometime in the future, some types of cancer may be treatable with this technology. To think that all kinds of cancer will be treatable by this method seems to me to be more hype than substance.

You kind of just described CAR-T cancer treatment

Back
Top Bottom