Medical Outsourcing

I would like to outsource my medical care but have not found a HSA plan that would count non-emergency overseas medical expenditures toward the deductible.

It should be a win-win situation. In order to spend $5k in Thailand on medical care, I would be purchasing the equivalent of $10K-$15k of medical care. The likelihood that the insurance company would ever have to pay a dime shrinks. If I did exceed my $5k deductible, the insurance company would be paying a rate far below the "usual and customary" USA price.

Has anyone found such a HSA plan?

Oliver

I would like to outsource my medical care but have not found a HSA plan that would count non-emergency overseas medical expenditures toward the deductible.

It should be a win-win situation. In order to spend $5k in Thailand on medical care, I would be purchasing the equivalent of $10K-$15k of medical care. The likelihood that the insurance company would ever have to pay a dime shrinks. If I did exceed my $5k deductible, the insurance company would be paying a rate far below the "usual and customary" USA price.

Has anyone found such a HSA plan?

Oliver

I've passed your question on. I'll let you know what an insurance contact I have in medical outsourcing says, Oliver.

Oliver
When Billy and I were in Chapala, Mexico, there were advertisements from hospitals that said they would take care of the paperwork, and would pay your deductible for you. I don’t know how that worked… :confused:

But here in Thailand, the hospitals are set up to facilitate filling out all the paper work in order to submit it to your insurance company. I suppose you could email Bumrungrad, or one of the others and find out more info.

Like I mentioned, most of these hospitals here in Thailand work it out with the paperwork for you since it can be so confusins. Perhaps you could check out their sites and see what they say.

Check this link, about the middle of the page…: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/links_medical_options.htm

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

I will be following up and researching the suggestions mentioned in the thread. I contacted Bumrungrad a couple of weeks ago. The info below is an excerpt of my correspondence with them.

My question
I have been very impressed with Bumrungrad. As a result, I am considering purchasing a high deductible health plan in the USA and getting all non-emergency health care at Bumrungrad. I was wondering if you have a relationship with Aetna, Time/Fortis Health/Assurant Health, or Golden Rule/United Healthcare. It would be perfect if Bumrungrad was considered "in-network". It would save the insurance company and myself significant amounts of money if I ever became seriously ill. Could you check into this? If possible, I will purchase whichever insurance plan would allow me to do this.

One insurance broker indicated that only emergency care would count toward the deductible. I hope that is not the standard practice of all USA insurance companies. Is this your experience at Bumrungrad?
This is the reply.
We are please to inform that we have agreement for direct bill with Aetna Insurance only Global benefit plan, we can request a guarantee of payment with the assistance company who work for Aetna Global benefit plan name is HTH worldwide. You can confirm yours benefit with HTH worldwide whether you can use at our hospital or not. They contact number is +1 610 254 8730, e-mail: provider@hthworldwide.com. As for United healthcare we did not have agreement for direct bill with them, you have to pay upfront then file to claim.

Regarding to the deductible, we would like to inform that we did not know for the policy detail, actually insurance will pay for the medical treatment depend on insurance policy.

PS Wanderer, thanks for passing my question on!!

Last edited:
Here is a recent article on medical tourism. Operation Vacation - washingtonpost.com

Operation Vacation
Big Savings Have More Overseas Travelers Mixing Surgery With Sightseeing

By Cindy Loose
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, September 9, 2007; Page P01

-----------------
Sunday, September 9, 2007; Page P04

Considering traveling abroad for medical care? Here are a few resources:
  • Find hospitals overseas that have won accreditation from the Illinois-based Joint Commission International at Joint Commission International Web Site (click on "Accreditation.") Overseas hospitals with good reputations may not have pursued JCI approval or may be in the process of receiving it, so lack of JCI approval doesn't necessarily mean a hospital is inadequate. Conversely, JCI accreditation doesn't guarantee anything except that a hospital has successfully met standards, including patient outcomes, comparable to those of JCI-accredited U.S. hospitals. Tip: If a hospital's Web site hasn't been translated into English, that could be a sign that you'd have difficulty communicating there.
  • "Patients Beyond Borders: Everybody's Guide to Affordable, World-Class Medical Tourism" by Josef Woodman (Healthy Travel Media, 2007), gives concrete advice on planning a medical trip. Woodman traveled extensively in Asia to research the book. A second Singapore edition focuses on hospitals in that country. Available at Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more.
  • A physician's assistant started the Web site Medical Nomad ( Medical Tourism and Medical Travel Resources - MedicalNomad) after finding dental care abroad that he couldn't afford in the United States. The independent site provides insights into destinations, procedures and planning.
  • Healthcare Beyond Boundaries (888-691-4584, Medical Tourism - Medical Travel Abroad - Health Tour India - Overseas Surgery) represents facilities in Singapore, Thailand, India, Turkey and Mexico. As long as you're aware that the site has a financial stake in your decision, you can find useful information, including photographs. --

you have to pay upfront then file to claim.

Regarding to the deductible, we would like to inform that we did not know for the policy detail, actually insurance will pay for the medical treatment depend on insurance policy.
I imagine one would need to be willing to pay upfront and file with your insurance company later -- or check with your insurance policy office before you go. Certainly something to check into since hospital contracts expire and insurance companies change their policies regularly.

When Billy broke his wrist and was having surgery at Stanford Hospital, in California, he was instructed to charge his deductible on his charge card before they would allow him into the operating room (!!) This was in his home country…. So not a lot different. He had to file for all the paperwork to make a claim later.
A physician's assistant started the Web site Medical Nomad
What an excellent website and very well organized. Thanks, Oliver.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Thanks for the information Akaisha.

Back
Top Bottom