Medicare Advantage and Medigap

tomz

Recycles dryer sheets
In 2012, my 84 yo Father-in-law switched from traditional Medicare and a Medicare supplement to the AARP/United Healthcare Medicare Advantage plan. Unknown to him, this switch required him to contact the supplement provider (Blue Cross of FL) to cancel his supplemental insurance. He did not do that. For the past year and a half, Blue Cross has been automatically withdrawing $154 from his bank account every month. When he balanced his checkbook, he ignored this charge. 3 weeks ago, he was hospitalized with a stroke. My wife has power of attorney so we are paying his bills. We noticed the Blue Cross charges while reviewing his monthly bank statements.

I called Medicare and they said cancelling the supplement was not automatic even though it is illegal for a company to sell someone with Medicare Advantage a supplement plan. Blue Cross billing doesn't work on weekends so I'll be calling them tomorrow.

When he switched to Medicare Advantage, which includes RX coverage, his old Part D plan was automatically cancelled. It seems odd that the Medicare Supplement was also not cancelled. Oh well, he should be in line for a $2500+ refund from Blue Cross. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom