Medigap and part D plans

bluelight

Recycles dryer sheets
I will be starting Medicare in Dec 2021 and have started looking at plans. I will most likely going with AARP Medigap plan G, my husband has been with them for many years without issue.

Part D gets trickier for me. I'm on 14 maintenance medications. Most are the lowest dosage available. Sometimes I think that I have ended up on these meds due to side effects of another med, but regardless this is what I am living with right now. Per Medicare.gov the lowest cost choices for mail order are Humana Walmart and AARP preferred.

Is there any issue with mixing Medigap and Part D plans?

I will be starting Medicare in Dec 2021 and have started looking at plans. I will most likely going with AARP Medigap plan G, my husband has been with them for many years without issue.

Part D gets trickier for me. I'm on 14 maintenance medications. Most are the lowest dosage available. Sometimes I think that I have ended up on these meds due to side effects of another med, but regardless this is what I am living with right now. Per Medicare.gov the lowest cost choices for mail order are Humana Walmart and AARP preferred.

No issue. They are separate.

No problem as Part D is a separate plan. I have been switching yearly based on lowest cost plan. I have been on Medicare 13 years now.

Thank you. I assumed that was the case but didn't want to get into any unexpected issues if it wasn't.

Since you are planning on mail order for your ongoing prescriptions, if the plans cost about the same, you might look to see if one has a more convenient local in-network preferred provider that you might rather use for the occasional one and done prescription.

Since you are planning on mail order for your ongoing prescriptions, if the plans cost about the same, you might look to see if one has a more convenient local in-network preferred provider that you might rather use for the occasional one and done prescription.

Thanks. I've checked that, I can use the same local pharmacy for the one offs. Now I need to go over all my meds and see if Good Rx can be a better deal than insurance for some.

I have found when picking part D , besides entering in the medications currently used, is to select about 4 possible pharmacy brands.
Often 1 pharmacy brand is preferred and therefore considerably cheaper than the others.

When helping some older relatives, I noticed they had a favorite pharmacy, but when the price difference was large enough, were happy to switch to another (grocery pharmacy, Walmart, Costco, CVS, Walgreens, etc).

I have found when picking part D , besides entering in the medications currently used, is to select about 4 possible pharmacy brands.
Often 1 pharmacy brand is preferred and therefore considerably cheaper than the others.

When helping some older relatives, I noticed they had a favorite pharmacy, but when the price difference was large enough, were happy to switch to another (grocery pharmacy, Walmart, Costco, CVS, Walgreens, etc).

Yes, I ran the comparisons between multiple pharmacies. I always get 3 months at a time, so I don't care if I have to go a bit out of my way. I was surprised to see that in a few cases, Costco is cheaper than even mail order.

No changes to my Plan D or Medigap policy. The price for both is up by less than one dollar for 2020.

I'll take that deal.

Most (maybe all) Part D providers have preferred pharmacies and standard pharmacies. There is usually a considerable cost savings by using a preferred pharmacy.

Back
Top Bottom