Medigap Guaranteed Issue Rights What happens if?

mf15

Recycles dryer sheets
Bad thought I just had. Guaranteed Issue Rights.
Current plan F-HD.
If current insurance company decides to end the plan/get out of business.
You can get the same supplement without underwritting,from a different company. This has happened twice to me so far.

So what happens if that plan is not offered anymore in your state,and
you can't pass underwritting. If you entered medicare before 01/1/2020
you can't get plan G without underwritting.

Seems like this could be a real problem,say x number of years from now
and no one is offering plan F. Or will plan F will always have to be offered.
Oldmike

Last edited by a moderator:
According to SHIP (State Health Insurance Assistance-Illinois), if a company goes out of business or ends the plan, you can go to another viable insurance company without underwriting. So, you would keep the F-HD with no underwriting. I believe the answer to your question depends on the state you live in.

What I am saying.What if in the future plan F is not offered anymore.
Can't go to G without underwritting, therefore might have to take an inferior plan.

This needs to be fixed.
Insurance companies can drop/change plans whenever they want.
Big ones like Atena did it to my wife on MA. They ended the plan then the
next year they were right back with a new plan.
Oldmike

Call your state health insurance assistance. State regulations differ. Our state is pretty strict on regulations. I called regarding a similar situation. They were specific in saying you get to keep the plan you have if the company goes under.

oldmike, I don't think CMS is going to leave you high and dry!
I'll postulate that if all companies that have Plan F in your state, somehow all dropped Plan F, that as a special event, you would get Guaranteed Issue into Plan G.
Another question is, what if only ONE company was left with Plan F in your state, and the price went up and up and up?
I agree that this is something you could check out with your state's whatever. And if you get an answer you don't like, just coast for a month or two and call again. A lot of customer service's customer service, can depend on the luck of the draw of who you got on the phone. :(

So what happens if that plan is not offered anymore in your state,and
you can't pass underwritting. If you entered medicare before 01/1/2020
you can't get plan G without underwritting.

If your supplemental insurance coverage ends through no fault or cause of yours, you have guaranteed access - for 63 calendar days from the last day of coverage - to any other Medicare supplemental policy that is open for enrollment. See here https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/when-can-i-buy-medigap/guaranteed-issue-rights

Attachments

• F2866A0F-4B37-4DBC-AE8C-B68BCAFC06BE.jpeg
    F2866A0F-4B37-4DBC-AE8C-B68BCAFC06BE.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 19
https://www.medicarefaq.com/faqs/medicare-guaranteed-issue/

Am I read this wrong,or wrong conclusion,or old info,or does not apply if you lost coverage through no fault of your own. Says need underwritting if want to go to plan G.
Oldmike

Are Medicare Supplement Plans Guaranteed Issue?
The plans for which you may use guaranteed issue depend on the date your Original Medicare coverage began. When utilizing guaranteed issue rights, beneficiaries must follow MACRA.

This means those who enrolled in Original Medicare before January 1, 2020, are only eligible for a guaranteed issue right for the following plans:

Medicare Supplement Plan A
Medicare Supplement Plan B
Medicare Supplement Plan C
Medicare Supplement Plan F
Medicare Supplement High Deductible Plan F
Medicare Supplement Plan K
Medicare Supplement Plan L
Conversely, those who enrolled in Original Medicare after January 1, 2020, can enroll in the following:

Medigap Plan A
Medigap Plan B
Medigap Plan G
Medigap High Deductible Plan G
Medigap Plan K
Medigap Plan L
Note that those on Original Medicare before January 1, 2020, are not eligible to enroll in Medicare Supplement Plan G using guaranteed issue rights. If you were on Medicare before that date, you must undergo medical underwriting if you wish to enroll in Medigap Plan G

Last edited:
Bad thought I just had. Guaranteed Issue Rights.
Current plan F-HD.

Seems like this could be a real problem,say x number of years from now and no one is offering plan F. Or will plan F always have to be offered.
If a Medigap insurer offers any letter plan, they must also offer Plan F or C (F without excess charge coverage).

However, you mentioned HD-F. There is no requirement to offer HD-F so there could come a time when there are no other Guarantee Issue HD-F's to choose from. Plans K & L are the closest GI plans to an extinct HD-F.

Medigap policies are standardized

Insurance companies that sell Medigap policies:

Must offer Medigap Plan A if they offer any Medigap policy.
Must also offer Plan C or Plan F if they offer any plan.

Source: https://www.medicare.gov/supplements-other-insurance/how-to-compare-medigap-policies

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken you would be eligible to buy HD-G as guaranteed issue if the HD-F was discontinued.

Back
Top Bottom