More Medigap confusion

ivinsfan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm going on Medicare on October 1 and live in MN. I'm finding my Medigap options are not very satisfactory to me.

My state has some oddball rules and does not offer all alphabet plans..

I'm limited to M and F and a hybrid type plan that covers everything but the kitchen sink...BCBS calls it Senior Gold.

For 190 a month I don't love M...

HD F is only 95 a month but I am concerned about entering it at 65 and having it close the year I turn 66. Do I need to be concerned about huge rate increases when it closes to new enrollees?

Senior Gold means you literally pay nothing to anyone for Medicare covered services starting with the first dollar. For some reason it has escaped the sanction that befell plan F. But it costs 248 bucks a month.

So I could pay 1140 plus the max out of pocket on the F total on both around 3400... compared to a for sure cost of 2946 on the Senior Gold no outstanding Medical Issues so I would be willing to gamble the 500 additional cost every year...

Anybody have any advice due to the limited options in this state. I'm using Murphy's Law here and assuming I only have the original 6 months underwriting pass. It's possible the powers that be in my state will bring in a new plan to replace H for 2020, but I'm not counting on that happening or my being able to obtain coverage.

Lots of Medical Advantage plans but I don't really want to go down that road right now....

Open to any and all advice I hope to decide by next Friday.

The best way I found to wade through Medicare confusion is by using the services of someone who really understands the system. Boomerbenefits.com helped me find the best Medigap plan and I plan to use their no cost to me services when the annual Part D open enrollment window opens up this fall. Won't cost you anything to contact them and they won't hound you trying to sell you something.

The hybrid Senior Gold plan starts as a base plan for $194. It only costs $248 if you choose all the optional add-on riders to make it look like an 'F' plan.

Most people add the $33 rider to cover the Part A deductible. If you also add the $1 rider to cover Part B excess charges, then the total is $228 and it is comparable to Plan G. The premium seems high for a 65 year old because MN Medigap premiums are community-rated.

There is an optional $16 ($192/yr) rider to cover the $183 Part B deductible. This rider may not be available to those Medicare eligible on or after 1/1/2020 but those eligible prior can keep it.

There is a $4 rider that provides up to $120 toward certain preventive services (vision, hearing).

The $190/month plan is 'N', not M.

BCBS-MN Senior Gold: https://www.mnhealthnetwork.com/files/BCBS-Senior-Gold-Overview.pdf

I would find an experienced, local agent to assist since MN is unique.

Last edited:
The hybrid Senior Gold plan starts as a base plan for $194. It only costs $248 if you choose all the optional add-on riders to make it look like an 'F' plan.

Most people add the $33 rider to cover the Part A deductible. If you also add the $1 rider to cover Part B excess charges, then the total is $228 and it is comparable to Plan G. The premium seems high for a 65 year old because MN Medigap premiums are community-rated.

There is a optional $16 ($192/yr) rider to cover the $183 Part B deductible. This rider may not be available to those Medicare eligible on or after 1/1/2020 but those eligible prior can keep it.

There is a $4 rider that provides up to $120 toward certain preventive services (vision, hearing).

The $190/month plan is 'N', not M.

BCBS-MN Senior Gold: https://www.mnhealthnetwork.com/files/BCBS-Senior-Gold-Overview.pdf

I would find an experienced, local agent to assist since MN is unique.

That's actually the way I'm thinking of going for my 2018 needs at least...I "forgot" to mention that our fair state sells several hundred thousand BCBS "cost" plans which are all being cancelled for 2018..Perhaps a couple of new choices will pop up when they release plans for next year.

My typo on the N ...I knew it was N..

I'm going to look up the Medicare cost of the part A deductible as I can see BCBS makes money on the Part B deductible.I just looked and it's 1340 dollars per benefit period which sounds like it means per hospital admission

Last edited:
We live in Mn also. The Breitenfeldt Group is a local health insurance broker that we used. They were helpful and we liked the fact that they are local. We live in the Twin City Metro area.

Back
Top Bottom