Moving out of state with traditional Medicare

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are a 2-3 years away from Medicare, but plan to choose traditional Medicare with a supplemental policy. If we later move out of state, will we have to go through medical underwriting? With DH’s heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery this year, I’m wondering if will be “stuck” in the state we reside in when we go on Medicare?

My understanding is that if you stay on a medigap plan you don’t have to pass underwriting.

My understanding is that if you stay on a medigap plan you don’t have to pass underwriting.

Thank you. I tried googling this question but the answers weren’t responsive. We aren’t quite ready to leave CA, but we don’t like the direction it’s headed so may decide to relocate. Would prefer not to rush such a major decision but if it would negatively impact our ability to get good health insurance if we moved, it would be good to know that now.

You will be able to get into some Medicare supplement plans without underwriting, but probably just not able to get into the most extensive coverage Plan F or Plan G plans.

My wife's had extensive surgeries and procedures in the last 3 years, and we've scarcely even seen a bill on Plan F.

You should be able to get info on all the plans online. There are also licensed sales people out there that can answer questions. My ex-MegaCorp has Via Benefits manage their supplemented Medicare programs, and they can answer any of my questions.

Many people are being pulled into Medicare Advantage plans by huge marketing campaigns, and I'm not a fan of them. We like to call the shots on our healthcare--including who our doctors are and what hospitals to go to. Medicare Advantage may take away some of our control.

You will be able to get into some Medicare supplement plans without underwriting, but probably just not able to get into the most extensive coverage Plan F or Plan G plans.

That’s actually not true. I have spent a ton of time researching this information for myself. Plan F will be closing but plan G is not. If you are moving to an area your plan isn’t you can get plan G. Since I am using the birthday rule in my state to avoid underwriting I can only go down in benefits and not up. That’s fine with me as I will go to G and save 50/month which more than makes up for having to pay the small deductible.

Back
Top Bottom