My DH has prostate cancer

Date: 12/15/10
For: bbbami
Medication: JD straight
Amount: 750cc
Instructions: take 1 or 2 glasses as needed.
Refillable x 10.

Sorry to hear the bad news Bbbami I heard somewhere that it is statisticly proveable that all men will get it. It is just a question of living long enough. It is good that it is successfully treatable.
In the meantime, maybe some of that TN medicine will help some.

Free to canoe

So sorry to hear about your DH. The good news is that they caught it early. I have an uncle who was diagnosed with PC a few years ago and is now cancer free at 73 and still kicking :).

Keep thinking positively :flowers:.

Sorry to hear the bad news Bbbami I heard somewhere that it is statisticly proveable that all men will get it. It is just a question of living long enough.
Not quite, but by age 80 almost 80% of men without prior blood abnormality or symptoms will have microscopic traces of prostate cancer on autopsy. It often but not always grows so slowly that they die at a ripe old age of something else.

Everyone has already said most of the comments I thought of so I'll just say good luck to both you and DH. I'll be hoping that the process is not too difficult and that the outcome is good.

{{hugs}}

bbbamI, I am truly sorry to hear this. Hopefully it is the kind that takes a very long time to evolve and does little harm to either of you.

Normally prescriptions are for individuals, but I'm sure Dr. Rich won't mind if you share some of the one he wrote you with your DW...

Hang in there kid! The handful of men I know with pc have all survived it. DW's friend's dad had it. The doc told her essentially what Doc Rich said - "It often but not always grows so slowly that they die at a ripe old age of something else." He lived into his mid 80's before he died of something else.

Not quite, but by age 80 almost 80% of men without prior blood abnormality or symptoms will have microscopic traces of prostate cancer on autopsy. It often but not always grows so slowly that they die at a ripe old age of something else.
Advancing age... declining sex life... prostate cancer... mere correlations or causations?

How would we test this hypothesis? (I ain't volunteering for the "null case".) What kind of prescription would apply for this situation?

Sorry to hear about your DH, bbbamI. I wish you and DH well.

Well, I just took WS's advice....

I don't have any Baileys, but I did use a hint of JD...for medicinal purposes, don't ya know? :angel:

;)

More JD, less Cheerios...

Many good replies, to which I can only add my support. You guys can whup this, no problem.

We'll learn more about treatment options next week. They caught it early and the doctor is very optimistic. Right now I'm numb.

Any advice or words of encouragement will be appreciated.

bbb,

Saw this online and thought it might provide some useful info:

"In what a leading doctor hails as a new era of prostate cancer treatment, a Detroit-area man is the first in the world to undergo single-dose radiation for prostate cancer that temporarily implants a higher dose of radiation with the promise of fewer side effects."

HUG
HUG
HUG
HUG
HUG
:flowers:

I was not online yesterday, so I didn't see this thread until now.

Early detection is paramount to treatment success. Keep reminding yourself and DH of that.

I had a discussion with my radiation oncologist about "seeding" radioactive pellets as treatment for prostate cancer. He was pretty enthusiastic, not that I have prostate cancer, but he just wanted to tell me that if I did develop it, it couldn't be treated with radiation, since I already had radiation in that area for rectal cancer. (My oncologist is a bit of a card.) This issue of whether prostate cancer is so slow growing that it needn't be treated, or shouldn't be treated, is one that I haven't gotten my head around, yet.

Very sorry to hear that, BBB! What a shock it is, huh?

I know that it will turn out fine. My good friend the bass player in my trio is going through that right now. One of the toughest things is making decisions about all the different treatment options.

He's doing radiation (plus hormone treatment); he goes in every weekday, and he's about half done now. He has to have a full bladder so that they can use the reservoir of pee to aim the beams. So the hardest part is timing the fluid intake.

He has experienced no tiredness or other side-effects of the treatment, and hasn't missed any rehearsals or gigs.

Use this as excuse to treat yourselves to special things, and appreciate one another even more than usual. I'll be thinking of you.

One thing I recently learned is that the age of the patient is a determining factor for radiation treatment (seeds). Not sure if that is a universal recommendation.

Some dreams do come true for good, brave Texan wives:D. It´s a 600 gram box. It should last for a couple of days. Well maybe not that long:D

Attachments

• bombones.jpg
    bombones.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 3
Wow, I'm just now seeing this thread. Very sorry bbbam. I'm sure it has to be a shock to both of you, but it's very curable when found early. Looks good based what you said. Best of luck to both of you.

BTW, what prompted the biopsy? The psa test, manual exam or both?

Back
Top Bottom