Health Scare Starting Right After Retirement

You had a great doctor and that makes a huge difference. I work in the surgical robotic space from a engineering standpoint and it’s very heartening to hear stories like yours. There will be much more robotic surgery in the future and along with analytics and AI, there will be a robot for every disease state. Exciting stuff!

Here is hoping that by the time I need (whatever) surgery, the robotic procedure will be available, tested and proven successful. What a time to be alive. YMMV

Thanks so much for the detailed update. I'm sure many of us are concerned about this issue for ourselves. Success stories are very much appreciated. Aloha

Thanks. I hope it helps anyone else out if ever having to face it.

Statistically It is the most common cancer us men get and age corelates to the probability of having some form in other words a 66 year old man has about a 66% chance of have some form of cancer in their prostate though not all need treatment.

In my research there were a long autopsy studies performed on men's prostates that died form other causes and this is were the data comes from. The issue then becomes not all men need to be treated due to the ones that are slow growing hence the recent active surveillance option if you are found to have a low volume low grade G6 and some 3 + 4 G7. I say recent because AS became a treatment option about 20 years ago.

My doctor told me that prior to active surveillance becoming a option for low grade low volume disease regardless of Gleason score, almost all were in surgery within weeks.

It is important for those offered AS to understand it does not mean doing nothing. On average there are repeat 3 - 6 monthly biopsy follow ups, PSA testing and\or MRI imaging for a closer initial period of time and then if no or low progression criteria is met, the repeat testing intervals tend to spread out a little longer in between though it is never completely eliminated until a certain senior age is reached.

The purpose of AS is to allow the patient to postpone or even avoid surgery altogether if no or low progression though understandably some just cannot get comfortable with it and may decide to address it now regardless of possible side effects.

As always it's best to work with your Doctor on a game plan.

Last edited:
There will be much more robotic surgery in the future and along with analytics and AI, there will be a robot for every disease state. Exciting stuff!

Yes, indeed! To think it wasn't that long ago that only in the world of sci-fi horror could we envision a future where machines cut people open to remove stuff! :D

I'm sorry that so many of you have had prostate issues. It's another of those "when rather than if" situations if you live to be old enough.

I've been fortunate in that department. But I had a small spot on the side of my nose 18 months ago, and it ended up being the first stage of melanoma. I couldn't believe it took such a long incision to get out.

I recently had a dark spot on a forearm that the dermatologist suspected was another melanoma. He took a plug and sent it to pathology. It too was the start of a melanoma, and the 3 inch incision looks like I was in a knife fight.

Skin issues are another area that everyone needs to watch closely--especially for those that have spent a lot of time outdoors. If a melanoma grows deep, it gets into your bloodstream and can quickly kill.

I'm sorry that so many of you have had prostate issues. It's another of those "when rather than if" situations if you live to be old enough.

I've been fortunate in that department. But I had a small spot on the side of my nose 18 months ago, and it ended up being the first stage of melanoma. I couldn't believe it took such a long incision to get out.

I recently had a dark spot on a forearm that the dermatologist suspected was another melanoma. He took a plug and sent it to pathology. It too was the start of a melanoma, and the 3 inch incision looks like I was in a knife fight.

Skin issues are another area that everyone needs to watch closely--especially for those that have spent a lot of time outdoors. If a melanoma grows deep, it gets into your bloodstream and can quickly kill.

Glad to hear it was caught and treated early. With melanoma, they have to go beyond the area to ensure they got everything. As with all cancers it's about being aware and treating it early.

watchman3135 >>Very good news and wish you continued great health in the future.

Thanks for reminding me that I have to make an appointment with the dermatologist this month (probably next month, now.) I always have two or three suspicious spots burned off - likely basal cell if anything. So far, she has not been suspicious of melanoma. I hope it stays that way. I was never a big sun worshipper but I'm relatively fair.

So glad you caught your cancers in time!

Back
Top Bottom