Nasal steroidals - safe for long term use?

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just been prescribed a nasal steroidal - RhinoCort Aqua. Are these alright for long term use? When I hear the word steroid I kind of get nervous with everything in the news about athletes and such.

I don't know the research but I've been using a similar Rx (Nasacort) for over 5 years. Without it, I can't breathe through my nose at all. So I guess I just have to accept any negative effects that might occur with long term use. There haven't been any (that I am aware of) yet.

Grumpy

My ENT recently prescribed Nasonex... same deal. However, he said 15-30 minutes before using the Nasonex "prime" the sinuses with saline spray THEN use the Nasonex.

Well guess what, for me at least that works great. I use less and get more relief. In fact recently ran out of the Nasonex and get by just fine with the saline. I use it often and Sam's Club sells a huge double pack for about three bucks. Waddya got to lose? ;)

They are very safe, used as directed. Only trace amounds of steroid make it into the blood stream.

One caveat: use them carefully. A little splash or badly aimed spray that makes it into your eyes on a regular basis can increase the long term risk of cataracts. Otherwise, they are safe and effective for most.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
A little splash or badly aimed spray that makes it into your eyes on a regular basis can increase the long term risk of cataracts.

Damn, thanks Rich. Nobody ever told me THAT.

I find I need them during winter (Nasacort AQ for me) when air is dry,
but regular saline works great in other seasons; I love some stuff called
4-Way, that has eucalyptus and menthol in it.

Back
Top Bottom