need to cut back on alcohol !

Pro tip: If you mix 50/50 a quality craft beer of around 4.5% ABV with a quality NA equivalent, like a regular Guinness and NA Guinness, you get a very low 2.25% ABV brew that tastes quite like you’d expect a Guinness to taste. Same for IPAs, lagers, etc.

Markola said:
Pro tip: If you mix 50/50 a quality craft beer of around 4.5% ABV with a quality NA equivalent, like a regular Guinness and NA Guinness, you get a very low 2.25% ABV brew that tastes quite like you’d expect a Guinness to taste. Same for IPAs, lagers, etc.

Sort of like half-caff coffee.

Last edited:
Works great if you’re sharing a beer at the house with someone. My DW doesn’t care for beer so my method usually means I have 2!

Well, yes, but the idea is to find a formula that tastes nearly like the real thing without the downsides of the post-alcohol “bleh” feeling for the rest of the night. YMMV.

Well, yes, but the idea is to find a formula that tastes nearly like the real thing without the downsides of the post-alcohol “bleh” feeling for the rest of the night. YMMV.

Considering that some of the world's best brewers, chemists, and chemical engineers have been working on that project for decades, it's obviously fiendishly difficult. It's only in very recent years that they have started to make noticeable progress.

I have a glass of red wine most nights.

My spouse is TT however she always uses white and red wine in cooking.

Like everything else, moderation seems to be the answer. My dear departed father had a glass of red just about every night. My grandfather drank scotch daily and smoked cubans. Both passed away just shy of 90.

I suspect that genes play a large part in our health.....especially in later years.

Last edited:
While employed until I was 56, I had a drink 2 or 3 times every two weeks on my weekend off. I was also involved with Mine Rescue, so in the remote chance of a mine fire, I had to be in condition to respond.

It wasn't until I was able to retire, enjoy a meal with a glass of wine and actually taste it, that I really appreciate my wine making hobby. I never ever drank booze to get drunk, or wash away life's issues, so I don't abuse alcohol and it doesn't abuse me.

That sounds like a marketable idea. We could call it VERY light beer or "ultralight"!

If you start with it (heh, heh, don't switch to it after starting with a full-ride beer) you'll probably not even think about the "ultra-lightness" of it.

Another thing I’ve found is the citrus flavored NA beers have an acidic bite that resembles the alcohol bite. So if you drink one of those, or blend one 50/50 with a full Monty craft beer in the same family, it’s pretty decent.

We cut down after a friend got a new liver. Still have a few bottles of wine a week, but nowhere near what we used to. Life's simple pleasures after all.

I tried an Omission Bright Eyed IPA NA this past weekend.

Didn't really need an NA drink, but it was the first time I'd seen one available at an event.

I thought it was pretty good. I could not tell it was NA as the hoppy flavor was good and no aftertaste. Usually an IPA is one and done anyway.

I would have another in the right setting.

How about Rolling Rock? Isn’t that the original lite beer before they were named lite?

No, Rolling Rock has a light beer in addition to the original. Used to be my go to beer but when they closed the brewery in Latrobe, PA, it has never tasted the same.

Moderation. All things in moderation. DW reminds me of this mantra many nights....

Get a note from your doctor, ask him if he can recommend frequently participating in certain activities are therapeutic and healthy when it come to stress relief and the resultant dopamine releases are very good for overall well being!:LOL:

I picked up a 12 pack of N/A Pabst Blue Ribbon. It’s a passable American lager to enjoy this summer after about 15 minutes in the freezer and at $1/can compared to the craft N/A beers that can be twice that. Market forces at work!

My favorite beer style is also the style with the highest impact to negative side effects (Belgians). I could get an NA beer if I didn't want to stand-out in a crowd of normal beer drinkers, but my friends all want to know what you're drinking, and what you think of it (most of my friends are brewers, but even the pilots nowadays are discerning in their beer selection).

So, given the negative side effects (primary poor sleep), if I'm not really excited by a specific beer on offer, I'll just get water. But too often it's social pressure...everyone is getting a beer, so I get one. But refuse one if there is only InBev or other megas, even if they offer fake micros that are made by the megas. Thanks InBev for the excuse not to drink, LOL!

After hangover after hangover, I quite drinking many years ago. Totally quit. To be honest it was not hard as the hangovers that followed my nights of drinking were so savage that they took all the fun out of drinking. I don't miss it one bit.

I've noticed that my booze drinking has been tapering off a bit, in more recent years. I was afraid that the whole COVID/work-from-home thing would actually make it worse, because it was easier to start cracking open a beer earlier in the day, but it hasn't seemed to happen.

I did have a beer, around 12:30 or so. But now I'm sitting here drinking a ginger ale, and really have no burning desire for another beer.

I dunno what caused the change. In the past, it used to be common for me to put away 3-4 a night during the week, and more on the weekend. Getting old, I guess!

After hangover after hangover, I quite drinking many years ago. Totally quit. To be honest it was not hard as the hangovers that followed my nights of drinking were so savage that they took all the fun out of drinking. I don't miss it one bit.

For many of us there comes a time when it isn't fun any more. For me it has been 33 years and I don't regret one minute. I love to say, "I haven't missed a thing!" :dance:

I know he has fallen way out of favor, but back in the day Bill Cosby had one of the funniest but truthful routines on "having a good time" by drinking, getting drunk, and the resultant hangover. Funny, but with enough truth to make me never desire to go down that road.

Back
Top Bottom