need to cut back on alcohol !

You are certainly an outlier in this regard too. Everything I've come to conclude is that getting to sleep might be quicker, but overall sleep quality and duration is diminished. If one beer would give most people 8 hours of sleep, it would beat every sleep aid on the planet!
+1
Best thing I ever did for sleep is stop drinking.

I don't think you understand what an addiction is. For those addicted, it's rarely as easy as just deciding to quit and doing it.

"To those not addicted, no explanation is possible. To those addicted, no explanation is needed." I think this line was delivered by the character Linnie Briscoe - a recovering alcoholic detective on "Law And Order."

Sounds like a good perspective. YMMV

Beer tends to make me sleepy too. One beer (usually a dark imperial stout) and I want a nap. So one beer is usually all I can handle...
Wine doesn't make me sleepy like beer does, but it can give me indigestion if I drink too close to bed time...
I'm the opposite - I can have 2 or 3 beers and not feel sleepy at all, but one glass of wine and I'm ready for a nap. I guess everyone is affected differently.

In the spirit of this thread, I'm also trying to cut back and limit myself to no more than 1 drink per day.

The Sinclair Method??

Ha anyone tried "The Sinclair Method"? Lot's of information as well as a documentary on it called "One Little Pill". I think it is too good to be true, but there is a medication called Naltrexone that blocks endorphins from being released and you don't get a buzz.

It seems from what I read it is a miracle for about 80% of people who have tried it and wondering if anyone here has any experience with it?

Like the OP, I’d simply like to cut back on alcohol. I got pretty use to Cocktail Hour as one of the few things to look forward to during the stressful, confined pandemic. I’ve been satisfying the ritual itch pretty well with mocktails and low alcohol beers. Total Wine carries quite a few completely non alcoholic, but well-made craft beers, like Pale Ales, IPAs and dark beers. The best ones seem to replace the alcohol bite with a citrus bite. One of their non alcoholic Bourbons tastes pretty good with my ginger ale and lime, since the latter two replace the alcohol bite pretty well. I have read that their non A. Tequila does a really good job in Margaritas. Non alcohol wine is a bridge to far for me, and I’m not interested in trying that.

Last edited:
I am not addicted to alcohol but I always wondered why lots of people are addicted to it. I mean you already lose consciousness when you sleep for certain number of hours per day, why would you want to stay in vulnerable state any longer by consuming alcohol.

It destroys your health, and causes potential danger to others (thinking about all the alcohol related DUI accidents on the road). There has to be a better way to feel good without compromising either.

I am so bad with alcohol that one beer will put me to sleep for at least 8 hours and wonder where I am for 5 mins minimum after I wake up.

I don't think you understand what an addiction is. For those addicted, it's rarely as easy as just deciding to quit and doing it.

When I'm home, I have one drink on Saturday night, occasionally one on Sunday afternoon. I'm on vacation as I write this, and when on vacation I have a drink every night with dinner. I've been on this vacation for 3 days, and I've also had a drink while at the hotel pool (= 2 per day!). I've slept horribly since I've been here. I'm cutting out the alcohol for the remainder of the vacation.
Maybe not a literal addiction, but I need my morning cup or 2 of coffee daily. I also need my chocolate ice cream dessert every night. I don't judge overweight people - I used to be one - nor do I judge alcoholics or other addicted people. As Running Bum said, addiction is complicated.

Last edited:
...but there is a medication called Naltrexone that blocks endorphins from being released and you don't get a buzz.
I thought I heard that they used that for opioid addiction, but I just looked it up and some efficacy in booze too. Apparently a bit tough on the liver, though, which is probably already in a tight spot.

I work in the addiction field.

It is an effective pharmaceutical. However, it doesn't get at the root of why the drinking behavior became problematic. Use of the medication is more effective when paired with some variety of counseling and or peer support.

It is an effective pharmaceutical. However, it doesn't get at the root of why the drinking behavior became problematic. Use of the medication is more effective when paired with some variety of counseling and or peer support.
+1
I remember a guy at work in the late 70s early 80s that the state put on antabuse for his alcohol problems. He showed up at work one morning after drinking on it. Guy was insane and purple. He was fired and eventually died in an automobile accident while he was intoxicated.

I'm cutting back on alcohol to lose weight. I've done it before and know that it works for me. As I've grow older, I've had to cut back drinking in general and make sure that I don't drink just before bedtime. Still love it but it doesn't love me. I'm allowing myself two beers or two glasses of wine on Saturday nights. Lost five pounds in the first week. Have starting hand splitting wood again to increase caloric burn.

I'm cutting back on alcohol to lose weight. I've done it before and know that it works for me. As I've grow older, I've had to cut back drinking in general and make sure that I don't drink just before bedtime. Still love it but it doesn't love me. I'm allowing myself two beers or two glasses of wine on Saturday nights. Lost five pounds in the first week. Have starting hand splitting wood again to increase caloric burn.

I no longer drink but in my younger years put away a fair amount of beer. I often gave up drinking for the six weeks of Lent and I could count on losing 5-10 pounds as a result. A couple of times I fished coworkers into a weight loss contest/bet around that time of year, knowing that I could count on losing some of it from abstaining from beer and some more by increasing my running distances. In a couple of cases, my wife and I were treated to very nice dinners out, courtesy of my competition.

Something changed with menopause, perhaps a bit earlier, and I can no longer tolerate alcohol at all. I used to enjoy a daily glass of wine. Now even a glass triggers a massive night time migraine. If I "have" to drink when out with others, I get a wine spritzer, heavy on the spritzer with just a taste of wine.

At least that's one addictive behavior I won't succumb too. Sure wish I could say the same for chocolate.

I was on naltrexone during one of the outpatient treatment programs I was in 20 or so years ago. I hated it. It completely removes any pleasure one gets from alcohol, but it does not remove the obsession to drink (for those who have the drinking obsession, i.e. alcoholics). And it stays in your system for up to two weeks. So I simply stopped taking it and end of problem. I obviously was not ready to stop drinking when I was on it.

I was also on antabuse at one point and I did not attempt to drink while on it (you get very ill if you drink on it).

Last edited:
Something changed with menopause, perhaps a bit earlier, and I can no longer tolerate alcohol at all. I used to enjoy a daily glass of wine. Now even a glass triggers a massive night time migraine. If I "have" to drink when out with others, I get a wine spritzer, heavy on the spritzer with just a taste of wine.

At least that's one addictive behavior I won't succumb too. Sure wish I could say the same for chocolate.

Gave up alcohol in late Feb 2020. Still addicted to chocolate....

My dad was a pro. I think there is a genetic component to this addiction and I inherited it from him.
He was one of those guys who build an incredible tolerance to it. Before he quit, he would get off work at the office and could not make the drive home without stopping to "take the edge off the day".
This was solved with 3 chimney glasses of well whiskey, 5 shots in each. He would down the 15 shots in about a half hour or so, drive home, park his car. Then he would walk to the bar and get drunk. He would stop drinking at midnight every night, go to bed, repeat.
I was more the binge guy. Once I started I had no quit. One day 31 years ago I looked in the mirror and said no more, and that was that. I had no program, I just did it.
No matter what your good intentions are you need to get onboard. That is when treatment programs fail, when the one person that matters is not onboard and committed to their own success.
You can't quit for your family, friends, career, health. You quit for yourself.
in my case I could have taken the path of drinking in moderation, but because of the disease process that would have been about as much fun as a trip to the dental chair. :)
30 years later and I can take a taste of my wife's beer or wine, or even have a flight of microbrews every now and then for the flavor. I did that last in 2013 :D

This is a great thread. Thanks to all who shared such great advice and success stories. I look forward to checking out the podcast and a couple of the books. I have been drinking too much (daily) and while I quit for many months last year, I drank once last summer and then was back down the slippery slope to where I think about / do it too often. As I prepare to leave my job later this year, and given my propensity to struggle with mental health sometimes, I think it is prudent to abstain for the remainder of my working life to get back into the habit. And once back in the habit, I hope I will choose abstinence permanently.

I can’t tell people in my daily life that I’m stopping — somehow ‘announcing’ it like that (which is what it feels like when I say ‘no,’) makes it feel harder, like it’s extra pressure. But telling all of you is like truly making the decision just for myself, but still feeling like I’m externally accountable. I know that will help me without feeling like pressure.

For it to work you must make a firm decision not to drink at all. You can always say it doesn’t agree with you or the medication you are taking.

I really enjoy a glass or two of wine several nights a week. I am thinking about giving it up though because it is really messing with my sleep. If I have wine I wake up about 2AM feeling very dry and hot and unable to get back to sleep. I remember my mother giving up alcohol at about the age I am now (69) because she said it didn't agree with her.

This is a great thread. Thanks to all who shared such great advice and success stories. I look forward to checking out the podcast and a couple of the books. I have been drinking too much (daily) and while I quit for many months last year, I drank once last summer and then was back down the slippery slope to where I think about / do it too often. As I prepare to leave my job later this year, and given my propensity to struggle with mental health sometimes, I think it is prudent to abstain for the remainder of my working life to get back into the habit. And once back in the habit, I hope I will choose abstinence permanently.

I can’t tell people in my daily life that I’m stopping — somehow ‘announcing’ it like that (which is what it feels like when I say ‘no,’) makes it feel harder, like it’s extra pressure. But telling all of you is like truly making the decision just for myself, but still feeling like I’m externally accountable. I know that will help me without feeling like pressure.
We are glad to lend an ear for you, and I encourage you to take whatever action makes you feel better.
My dad did not care for much of AA, but still carried that medallion "to thine own self be true".

Healthy, you should read the book This Naked Mind by Annie Grace. She also has a free online support group. It’s a very different approach than AA.

I did dry January and it was a really good reset for me. Alcohol had become a habit after a stressful day. It was much easier to do none at all than cut back- because after you've had one glass you just want a second. I slept better and felt more energetic in the morning. I did start back, but find myself drinking less often just knowing how much better I'll sleep.

I'll never forget when I was on the journey to sobriety I had attended a few AA meetings. They didn't all resonate with me but one interaction did. One of the AA sponsers in the group took me up to the front pew of the church that was hosting them, he looked at me and asked me if I can remember the last time I had a single beer in my refrigerator or home. I couldn't...I told him it was usually a 6 pack, or nothing at all at which point I would go get more.

He turned and said "EXACTLY!" You are not the type of person that can have a single beer in the refrigerator. Because you would never want to drink just a single beer...you another, and another...and this is how you know you have a problem. He was right.

I was genuinely worried about my health (I do get anxiety, and alcohol is a natural depressant so it was a wild roller coaster combining he two).

I tried "forever" to just cut back. My DGF at the time was not impressed. She eventually left me, took all her stuff, the dog and moved out. Rock bottom I suppose. I called up my sister who specialized in finding resources for people in need, she got me the numbers of a few treatment center's or groups and I found one that was close to home.

After the initial assessment they made a plan for outpatient 5 nights a week. The weekends were tough at first but I just avoided the people and places that triggered me. I was in treatment with people beyond just alcohol abuse, but all sorts of substance abuse. One women had jaundice from drinking so much whine, I think she said she was on a box a day and at one point grabbed my shirt pleading for my help. It was too late for her as she already had liver disease. Another young man 18 yrs old was in for heroin addiction, and he made it 2 weeks in the program before he OD and died from his addiction. Another women was in the program who had rolled her mini-van with a group full of children that she was driving to a birthday party midday. Her actions probably still haunt her to this day. It was interesting watching her at first try to reconcile while not being able to admit she had a problem. Whereas I was like, lady you drove a group full of children including your own to a birthday party after you had been drinking...what part of 'problem' are you struggling to understand!

If anything I understood that many people had it worse than I, but it wasn't about them, I was there to get sober. And I did. I got my girlfriend back after a few months, she brought the dog home as well. I went on to marry her and we now have 3 beautiful children together.

Another moment was when a guest speaker came in and he started talking about how great his life was ever since he quit. I couldn't relate because I felt like my life was in the gutter and he was bragging about how much money he made, and his beautiful family and gorgeous wife...and I really wanted all of that too. I asked him if I could get his number after he spoke and he obliged and kinda quickly told me, you too can have all of what I have, it's not that hard, just need to stop drinking.

I had probably tried to cut-back or quit completely maybe 50 times or so, mentally setting rules and breaking them one after another. I won't drink during the week. I won't drink before noon. I will only have 2 or maybe 3 beers. I won't drink any hard liquor. I won't drink by myself. All of these rules which I kept breaking.

It took professional group therapy and seeing all the people way worse off, seeing what would or could happen if I continued down the path.

My old drinking buddy and maybe let's call him an acquaintance, just lost his GF to cardiac arrest, she was 32 years old. He was drunk when she was struggling, failed to realize the danger she was truly in, and when they went to bed the second time that night she never woke back up. She had a seizure and went into cardiac arrest and died in his arms.

I knew another person who lost his girlfriend after she tumbled down the stairs while intoxicated. Hit her head and died from blunt force trauma. I knew a guy who ran into a crowd of people near the bar after driving home drunk, he is serving 30 years in prison for killing one of them, and gravely injuring the other.

I wish I had never experienced or known most of these experiences but I did. Alcohol is the devil. It can be a good time, but damn it sure can be a bad one too.

The first month seemed so hard. I didn't think I could make it. The second got a little easier. After the year mark I was pretty proud. I think I collected an AA coin somewhere in there, but again wasn't too keen on the AA thing, mainly because so many people in the group relapsed. I read the big book (Alcoholics Anonymous) and it really resonated. At first, I was embarrassed to label myself an Alcoholic...now I embrace it. It's harder to quit then it is to start and I am proud of the hard and difficult things I've accomplished in life. Nothing great in life is easy.

I used Cannabis for another 10 yrs after I quit drinking and eventually gave that up as well. Surprisingly my anxiety seemed much easier to handle after stopping the THC. I still struggle with the smell of that in the 'legal' cities. I struggled to drive by the liquor stores for about a year or two.

Now I try to avoid any social settings with alcohol, or at least go a little out of my way to. But they are everywhere. Substance abuse is a bandaid for other personal issues. It is a genetic disease. Alcohol is poison. It can at first give the appearance of relieving some anxiety in social settings, but often times you might find yourself crying alone in a room later...or waking up the next day with some regrets. Maybe you broke a rule like I did, or maybe you mistreated someone you loved, or were ashamed that you didn't sustain from alcohol. The mind and brain is a funny thing.

I had zero savings when I quit drinking. Well, I had a little bit of money in a 401k, and I had somehow convinced pops to help with a downpayment on a townhome that was in his name. Now I own that townhome. And I am well on my way to owning my 3,100 sq ft home..its on a 15 yr note with 8 yrs left to go. I have tons of money socked away for my families future, in Roth, IRA, 401k, Broker, HSA and 529 accounts. Investing is my new addiction. I have a very addictive personality, it will never leave my being. I get into thing hard, sometimes I spend a little too much time, money or energy on them but I would never go back to the substance abuse. It wreaked havoc, slowed me down, blurred my vision, caused problems with my life and the relationships with the people I love. The late night drunken dials, the bad decisions, regrets. All of that has gone away, thanks to me committing to a sober life. It's the harder, more difficult path, but its a path worth taking.

I lost 50 needed lbs after I quit. I was fat, out of shape. Now I am the guy all the ladies (and some guys) stare at on the beach, 8pack abs etc. Well lately I gained a little bit back in my older age, not eating as healthy after my DS passed away, but I still got it.

Reach out if you want my advice. KG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Kgtest.
That was dad's biggest Peeve of attending required AA meetings.
People would get up and complain about all the problems they still had. Quitting drinking was never going to make them go away. Drinking to oblivion was not going to either!
It was just one less problem, and a huge one at that. They could not see the forest for trees, at least according to him.
He was pleased and grateful to be off the leash of addiction.

This last weekend we celebrated as a family my DS one year sobriety anniversary. This time last year myself, DW, and our two daughters did a professional intervention with DS. It was successful and he immediately went to spend 3 months in a nice rehab facility. We were so nervous going into that intervention.

After rehab he lived for several months in a sober living facility nearby. He finally got a job in September after being unemployed since the start of Covid. He is doing well with the new job.

Unfortunately he has rejected counseling, AA, faith, and any other forms of support systems. We’ve no reason not to believe he truly has been sober for a year. We try not to worry about it as those things become apparent on there own eventually anyway. Being sober and employed have been wonderful changes in his life. As his dad, I pray for many other changes to occur which would propel his life forward for the better. He still suffers from so much anxiety, loneliness, immaturity and isolation.

Although it was a lot, I feel the money used on the intervention and his rehab last year was very well spent. And spending $750 for a nice celebration dinner this past weekend was definitely worth it.

Being a drunk is a dreadful existence. I enjoy a single bourbon many nights before dinner. It’s fully under control and never more than one. But still, I often find myself questioning myself. I think that’s a good thing.

Really enjoyed reading your experience kgtest. Anyone seeking sobriety has my sincere prayers of support. And my respect.

Unfortunately he has rejected counseling, AA, faith, and any other forms of support systems. We’ve no reason not to believe he truly has been sober for a year. We try not to worry about it as those things become apparent on there own eventually anyway. Being sober and employed have been wonderful changes in his life. As his dad, I pray for many other changes to occur which would propel his life forward for the better. He still suffers from so much anxiety, loneliness, immaturity and isolation.
I'm glad that your son has been able to remain sober for a year, it is a real achievement. I have a close family member who has remade his life in sobriety.

Might he accept a nonreligious alternative to AA, such as Secular Organizations for Sobriety? As someone who lost religious belief later in life, and has some past experience with AA-related family groups, I would struggle with the religious context of AA today.

I'm glad that your son has been able to remain sober for a year, it is a real achievement. I have a close family member who has remade his life in sobriety.

Might he accept a nonreligious alternative to AA, such as Secular Organizations for Sobriety? As someone who lost religious belief later in life, and has some past experience with AA-related family groups, I would struggle with the religious context of AA today.

Thanks for your good thoughts. It is such a sweet thing to see folks overcome such challenges.

Well, I’m just the opposite and have trouble understanding recovery without reliance on faith. But of course, it’s his recovery. His objections to AA and the other things don’t have anything to do with religious context. They are based on his lack of function to do much new especially in social settings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom