need to cut back on alcohol !

As I reached menopause I grew less and less tolerant of alcohol. Even one watered down glass of white wine now gives me a huge migraine. Consequently I don’t drink. I do miss the experience of having a nice glass of wine.

You would probably be surprised to find out how many of us have found ourselves in that trap. Alcohol kills a lot of nice people. But many of us did escape to lead great lives sober. I made my break on 11-21-1988 and it was one of the two best decisions of my life. Quitting smoking was the other. But I had to quit drinking to quit smoking. I'm not sure which would have killed me first. Lucky for me I stopped them both.

I used AA and it worked for me. Other friends have just quit. Lots of us out here! Takes some getting used to. Waking up feeling great every morning isn't for every one. And I had a lot of extra money that landed me here!

My experience is that if you have trouble stopping when you honestly want to, or if when you drink, you have trouble controlling the amount, you have probably crossed the invisible line. Once I need to try and "control" something, it's already out of control. I really like ketchup, but I don't have to try and control it or make rules for it. But I had lots of rules for alcohol and cigarettes.

Hope it works out for you.

This probably belongs in the Pet Peeve thread, but I wish restaurants would offer more than the tired O'Douls as a Non Alcoholic beer choice.

I read the N/A beer category is skyrocketing. Yet there hasn't been a single restuarant I've frequented that offered anything else. ODoul's isn't horrible, but it would be nice to have at least one other option.

I actually don't drink much anyway, but just love the actual taste of cold beer or something "beer-like" w/certain foods like BBQ or burgers. Not looking for a buzz.

Maybe they don't sell well in restaurants? But maybe that's also because no one markets them or offers any choices?

Last edited:
This probably belongs in the Pet Peeve thread, but I wish restaurants would carry a few Non Alcoholic beer choices. I keep reading that N/A beer sales are skyrocketing - I guess it must just be for at-home consumption, because I'm not seeing it at any dine-in places.

I've been to dozens of full service restaurants over the past year - not a single one carried anything but the tired ODoul's label that's been around since the '70s.

ODoul's isn't horrible, but it would be nice to have more than 1 option! Would make cutting back on the real stuff easier if there were more inviting choices.

Keep in mind that most of the non-alcoholic beers have up to 1/2 % of alcohol by volume (regular beer is like 5% or 6% IIRC.) If anyone is triggered by alcohol, the "non-alcohol" beers may be a bad choice.

I was having some diet cokes with a buddy who was chugging O'Douls (after quitting alcohol successfully.) After his fourth, the guy said something like "I guess it's psychological, but I think I'm getting a little buzz from this stuff." I told him to read the label. That was his last O'Douls. YMMV

True - it's not a pure N/A - although some of the newer ones really are. It's definitely not good for those in recovery, as it doesn't work on the triggers and addiction issues that created the substance problem. But for those that are not struggling with addiction, but simply want to enjoy an occasional "beer" taste without alcohol, it's a nice option.

This probably belongs in the Pet Peeve thread, but I wish restaurants would offer more than the tired O'Douls as a Non Alcoholic beer choice.

I read the N/A beer category is skyrocketing. Yet there hasn't been a single restuarant I've frequented that offered anything else. ODoul's isn't horrible, but it would be nice to have at least one other option.

I actually don't drink much anyway, but just love the actual taste of cold beer or something "beer-like" w/certain foods like BBQ or burgers. Not looking for a buzz.

Maybe they don't sell well in restaurants? But maybe that's also because no one markets them or offers any choices?

Agree that restaurants need to up their NA beer game. O'Doul's is very prevalent and your review, "Not Horrible" is a bit generous.

Also agree that having a beer with certain foods is a complimentary flavor.

I quit drinking in March 2013. My wife drinks Coors Light and wants to quit drinking. (I tell her she's not really drinking if she's drinking Coors Light. HA!) Anyway, we went on a month long quest to find a decent NA beer. When we were done we realized that O'Doul's was pretty crappy. First we tried the domestic and popular ones, then some of the more obscure brands. We have a Total Wine warehouse store nearby that stocks a lot of NA beers.

Our findings:

If you like Heineken beer, Heineken NA is really, really close to the same taste (and slightly skunky smell.)

Budweiser Zero tastes surprisingly like Budweiser Lager but a bit thinner. If you like Bud with food, you will like this. As a non-meal drink I find it just OK.

Coors Edge: Soak newspaper and thin cardboard in rainwater. Decant the water and bottle it. Slap Coors Edge labels on the side of the bottle. Done.

Upside Dawn is like a light ale. My wife's favorite NA. I like it too, but after a couple, it's a bit too "hoppy" for my taste.

Nah Helles Lager is a very crushable smooth NA beer. This would be my pick for a lawnmowing beer, the kind you like to drink when you are working outside and need to slam one down.

Bitburger Drive is like a light German lager. I like this one.

I know there were more but I can't think of their names right now.

If I were to regularly drink NA beers it would be Bitburger Drive, Upside Dawn, and Nah Helles.

Coors Edge: Soak newspaper and thin cardboard in rainwater. Decant the water and bottle it. Slap Coors Edge labels on the side of the bottle. Done.

Nice post - thanks for sharing your impressions. Above review cracked me up! Only one from your list I've tried so far is Bud Zero - wasn't bad at all.

Koolau's comment re: alcohol content in O'Douls is another reason I'd like another choice when dining out. If I want alcohol in my beer, there are much tastier choices!

Which makes me think of another pet peeve - O'Douls is always charged at full price: never included in happy hour specials.

Last edited:
Most don't realize it, but ordinary orange juice can have as much alcohol (0.5%) as nonalcoholic beer.

I found a new NA beer last year that was surprisingly decent, so if you see it (and can handle $14 for a sixpack), it's worth trying.

Run Wild IPA by Athletic Brewing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 5.02.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 5.02.33 PM.png
    155 KB · Views: 200
There are a lot of good N/A beers and hop teas now. Around here Total Wine has a really good N/A selection on their shelves. Some are zero or very low calorie and drinkable. I like Brew Dog's N/A options. Untitled Art makes a delicious chocolate stout (105 cal iirc so better than a soda). Surreal Brewing makes Intentional IPA that I enjoy too. None are quite as good as real craft beer but are a lot healthier and more enjoyable in social situations than soda. I even enjoy one at home once in a while but they are mostly for BYOB events.

About 10 years ago, I drank bud and Miller beers. Maybe 2 a day back then. Then I acquired a taste for good beer and have only had a few bud and Miller beers since. I do enjoy craft beers when I find something new that satisfies my palette. Had a couple pale ales at the Oak Creek Brewery in Sedona, az. Yesterday

Have you tried Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale?

Most don't realize it, but ordinary orange juice can have as much alcohol (0.5%) as nonalcoholic beer.

My godfather gave up apple cider -- something he loved -- after it almost threw him off the wagon.

This was the 70s when there was a lot of fresh cider sold. I think most is now pasteurized?

(And no, I'm not talking hard cider.)

My godfather gave up apple cider -- something he loved -- after it almost threw him off the wagon.

This was the 70s when there was a lot of fresh cider sold. I think most is now pasteurized?

(And no, I'm not talking hard cider.)

Easy to make your own cider from fresh apple juice. I used to make a couple of gallons every Fall when I lived in Connecticut. That was many moons ago, though.:)

Last edited:
I've never tried a non-alcoholic beer that I liked, and I've tried a lot. When I know that I am going to be driving or designated driver, I'll limit myself to sipping a really good soda instead. If you like ginger and have never tried a real ginger beer, it's a game changer. There's also some really good craft root beers that taste less sugary than the mass produced root beers.

There are a lot of good N/A beers and hop teas now. Around here Total Wine has a really good N/A selection on their shelves. Some are zero or very low calorie and drinkable. I like Brew Dog's N/A options. Untitled Art makes a delicious chocolate stout (105 cal iirc so better than a soda). Surreal Brewing makes Intentional IPA that I enjoy too. None are quite as good as real craft beer but are a lot healthier and more enjoyable in social situations than soda. I even enjoy one at home once in a while but they are mostly for BYOB events.

Thanks for mentioning Brew Dog- just visited their website. Nice! Don't understand why restaurants continue to stick with lame ODoul's on their menu, when there are so many fresh, interesting NA choices now available.

I found a new NA beer last year that was surprisingly decent, so if you see it (and can handle $14 for a sixpack), it's worth trying.

Never heard OJ has alcohol. Learned something new today. Run Wild's only 65 calories - not too bad!

I've never tried a non-alcoholic beer that I liked, and I've tried a lot. When I know that I am going to be driving or designated driver, I'll limit myself to sipping a really good soda instead. If you like ginger and have never tried a real ginger beer, it's a game changer.

Can confirm a good ginger beer is a nice no alcohol option.

The golden ale I mentioned, Upside Dawn, is made by Athletic Brewing. I'm not a big fan of IPA's but based on the reputation of the brewer if one does like IPA's I suspect this one would be good. I've seen Athletic Brewing products in Target Stores for $9.99 a six pack.

The distributor and the profit model drives the NA market. Let's face it, when you go out to eat, you don't see an NA customer have 2 or 4 beers. We are one and done for the vast majority and drinking the water, or switching to coffee after the meal.
The distributors and restaurants are not making bank on us. If you can find one that offers a couple of choices, go there and give them your money.
Every other spot is offering that one beer because they have to, more or less.

The distributor and the profit model drives the NA market. Let's face it, when you go out to eat, you don't see an NA customer have 2 or 4 beers. We are one and done for the vast majority and drinking the water, or switching to coffee after the meal.
The distributors and restaurants are not making bank on us. If you can find one that offers a couple of choices, go there and give them your money.

Actually, I think that's changeable with proper marketing. In my huge sample case of one person - me - I usually like 2 drinks - even when they're NA: one to sip pre dinner as I'm chatting/relaxing, one when the food arrives. That goes for N/A beers as well. I suspect if better N/As were offered and marketed half as well as the regular alcoholic stuff - i.e. put 'em on special, offer free sample tastes, signs/posters, servers suggesting them - more diners may try them - and end up ordering more than one.

It's interesting that in Germany, the original home of strong beer (ignoring Belgium for the moment), NA beers are very popular and widely available in quite a variety of brands. Equally popular are the mixtures of beer and soda (radlers, etc.).

Haven't read every post but I do have my evening nightcap every night in my den: A double Cognac or Scotch. DW and I have "cocktail hour" martinis before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner most nights. Mom had a similar regimen and lived to be 93.

I have no plans to change but.....out of curiosity, I dropped $40 for a bottle of highly recommended NA Scotch. $40 down the drain! I was hopeful but it was the worst thing I've ever tasted! Incredibly bad....flushed it.

Have no problem with those who don't drink, dad was a bad alcoholic, and on occasion I'll have a NA beer.

Last edited:
I think that I could drink in moderation, if that was somehow a requirement. It would be as much fun as going to the dentist :)

Heineken NA is pretty nice and crisp. The airport lounge in AMS had it on tap. I had a few - still less alcohol than half a beer. Our local Walmart now carries Athletic. The first couple types I tried (from Total Wine) were too hoppy. I just finished an Athletic Light Copper. Not bad.

Wow. All this talk of NA beers has me hankering for one. When we return to the mainland, there is quite a variety available. I DO hate paying such a high price for a NA beer, but a 6 pack of O'douls or similar can last me a month, so I guess I'll BTD in a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom